Getting Dish Network Signal Camping - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #1

Name: Barry
Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Getting Dish Network Signal Camping

I have Dish Network at home & have heard that if I found a portable dish I could make this work when we go camping. Would I need another receiver or could I use one from home? Does Dish frown on people doing this? We wouldn't spend a lot of time watching tv but we thought it would be fun to watch a baseball game or shark week right before we go swimming.

How would I go about getting this to work?

Old 08-08-2010, 05:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
I take one of the receivers from home. There is a caution about the receivers not being designed for the jostling and bouncing of a travel trailer. I got tired of trying to aim the dish and recently purchased the portable "Carry Out antenna", Winegard Carryout Portable Automatic RV Satellite Antenna Dish Do.. . Don't know how it works yet, but all reports I've seen say it is great.

To get major networks from either coast, you can sign up (for an extra charge) with https://www.mydistantnetworks.com/ which is AllAmerican Direct. Or, really DISH Network Sobongo.com.

1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:54 AM   #3

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
I take receiver from home and use a VuQube for sat dish.

VuQube 1000 Portable Satellite TV Antenna - Item - Camping World
Old 08-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Taje View Post
I take receiver from home and use a VuQube for sat dish.

VuQube 1000 Portable Satellite TV Antenna - Item - Camping World
Me too!!

Just remember all the components...receiver, cord and remote.

I forgot the cord on one trip and the remote on another. I now have a note pasted on the receiver to remind me.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #5

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2011 Toyota Sienna
Ontario
Problem with receiver not connected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
I have Dish Network at home & have heard that if I found a portable dish I could make this work when we go camping. Would I need another receiver or could I use one from home? Does Dish frown on people doing this? We wouldn't spend a lot of time watching tv but we thought it would be fun to watch a baseball game or shark week right before we go swimming.

How would I go about getting this to work?
In Canada, Bell TV (Formerly Expressvu), using Dish Network Technology has a timer of some kind in their receivers. If it is not connected, with AC power to it, and not receiving the satellite signal, for a period of some days (I don't know how many, but more than 3) it will become 'unsynchronized' from your service and lose your programming channels!
You then have to contact Bell TV Service by phone, or on the Internet (if you have subscribed to the Internet Billing Website) and have them 'resynchronize' your receiver(s). For some reason, on the Internet, this can only be done once a month.

I found this out several times when I unplugged a receiver for a while when on vacation. A pain, but a problem if you drag out a system and set it up, only to have it DEAD, except for the promo and advertising channels!

Good luck
Mike
Old 08-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
Dish in the US does not have the Bell TV feature. I took my Dish Receiver with me on a 3 week trip and never got time to set it up. Put it back in the house and it loaded the channel schedules and all was good. I've also forgotten to repair the phone connection to that receiver for the last year.
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #7

Name: Barry
Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis F. View Post
Dish in the US does not have the Bell TV feature. I took my Dish Receiver with me on a 3 week trip and never got time to set it up. Put it back in the house and it loaded the channel schedules and all was good. I've also forgotten to repair the phone connection to that receiver for the last year.
I think Dish likes you to have your receivers hooked up to a phone line so they can make sure it's in your house. We had our land line unhooked last month & just use cells. Now I think would be a good time for us to take a receiver with us. We won't be watching TV the whole time we are camping but it's just a nice luxury to have if you want it around.

That vucube seems kind of expensive for our situation. I hope to find a cheap/free dish somewhere & get a tri-pod someday.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #8

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
I have Direct TV and had an extra dish when I switched from Dish Network. I just unplug my receiver and take the extra dish and cable when I go camping where there's hookups. My mount is just screwed to a piece of plywood that I can clamp to a table or sit on the ground. An external dish pointing meter is handy to help aim the dish.