Getting Off the Interstates - A Question? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-17-2017, 07:55 AM   #57

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
Mitzi. True. I drive on the beach all the time. The two things that help are LOW tire pressure (10 pounds) and stepping on the brake pedal and easing off just a bit letting the engine turn the wheels with enough resistance from the brakes so they don't spin.

Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:11 AM   #58

Name: BARNEY
Trailer: CASITA
Georgia
If at all possible back the unit to your left,soos you can see it!! Look for things on the right that could be a problem,before you start. Learn to "read" them mirrors.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:21 AM   #59

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Yeah, airing down the tires works great any time you need more traction. Snow, loose gravel, sand. Wouldn't have done me any good in my scenario. Sunk too deep, too heavy of a vehicle with too narrow tires. And without the 12V compressor, I would have been...well a long way from the nearest gas station. If anyone has been to Goblin Valley state park, maybe you know the Little Wild Horse Canyon hike. I was another few miles down the road from the trailhead. That's a long, long drive from town...
Old 02-17-2017, 09:02 AM   #60

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
About a month ago I saw one of those huge double tractor-trailer rigs come down a dead end road. The road just ends, with no widened area or any place to turn around other than small residential driveways. And its just past a very tight turn.. see photo.

It took the solo driver about an hour to get out of there so I didn't stick around to see how he did it. But he did.
Patience is a good thing. I camp at a place where I must back downhill and through a gate on one of those 2 track roads. I suck it up and realize I need to go slow and might have to pull ahead and start over. Slow is good. Note that your ability to back into tight places is affected by any people watching you. There should be a nice graph somewhere to show this. The more people watching--the more errors in backing.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #61

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
...The more people watching--the more errors in backing.
Ain't that the truth!!! And anybody giving advice or directions counts triple!

A few years ago I managed to back 40' up a steep rocky path, make a sharp turn, and run the trailer up onto blocks, all while avoiding trees close on both sides. Not a soul around.

With two RVs backed up behind me and people watching anxiously, it usually takes three tries just to make a straight shot back onto a paved pad!

My wife and I are still working on our communication skills when it comes to backing the trailer. Sometimes it's just easier to send the family off to explore and set a bright object where I want the rear corner of the trailer to land.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #62

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
My wife and I are still working on our communication skills when it comes to backing the trailer. Sometimes it's just easier to send the family off to explore and set a bright object where I want the rear corner of the trailer to land.
Agreed. After only a couple of trips trying to work together when backing the trailer, we quickly decided that I work best alone, and Teresa's only job is to yell if I'm about to hit something.