Getting parked and set-up - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-31-2007, 02:29 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
When Lynne looked out our trailer window at breakfast time on Monday (Aug 27th) she thought something looked a little odd.

Click image for larger version

Name:	07Aug22_29_Trip_How_to_park_your_rig___NOT___1__300x400.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	9828

The guy had done some setup work behind his camper van for about 20 minutes that morning, went to walk the dog . . . and came back to this.

Name:	07Aug22_29_Trip_How_to_park_your_rig___NOT___2__300x400.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	9829

The good news is that the camper van came to rest on a sturdy tree, and did not go skating down the 45' embankment into the Namaimo River.

The bad news is that his wife was in the van.

So the REALLY good news is that the camper van came to rest on a really sturdy tree, and no one was hurt.

So it came up the hill:

Name:	07Aug22_29_Trip_How_to_park_your_rig___NOT___3__300x400.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	9830

The only visible damage was to the back doors. (And perhaps the propane tank, which carved a ditch underneath the van as it was pulled up the bank.)

Name:	07Aug22_29_Trip_How_to_park_your_rig___NOT___6__400x300.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	9833

They seemed like a really nice couple. She joked that he must have released the brake and given the van a push. He joked that he'll have to do better next time. I said "but it's her turn next." She gave him a really meaningful look and laughed.

It was an (inevitable) pity that they left. I would have invited them to join us around our campfire that night if they had stayed.

I will always chock my wheels . . . . . . . . .
. . . I will always chock my wheels . . . . . .
. . . . . . I will always chock my wheels . . .
. . . . . . . . . I will always chock my wheels

Lynne will always trust me to chock my wheels . . .

--Peter
Attached Thumbnails
07Aug22_29_Trip_How_to_park_your_rig___NOT___4__300x400.jpg   07Aug22_29_Trip_How_to_park_your_rig___NOT___5__300x400.jpg  

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:51 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
oopsey!!!!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Thank goodness for sturdy trees.

Peter, I've met Lynne, she'll sic Lex on you if you don't CHOCK THE WHEELS.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Ah yes, chaulking the tires!!

Last week I forgot my regular chaulks! Just drove off and left them in the driveway.

But not to worry, always prepared, I had a set of leveling chaulks ( )

. . . . . but forgot to chaulk the front of the tire after I was up on the levelers - result: I unhooked from my car and the trailer promptly rolled forward and hit my car

So, in 90F heat (), I hooked up the trailer again, got back on the leveler chaulks, found some firewood in the trailer (fortunately big enough and kind of triangular) and chaulked up the front of the tires.

Oh well, it was too hot for a campfire anyway - and fortunately the trailer hitch just hit my bumper so there was no damage - except to my pride.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Ah yes, chaulking the tires!!

Last week I forgot my regular chaulks! Just drove off and left them in the driveway.

But not to worry, always prepared, I had a set of leveling chaulks ( )

. . . . . but forgot to chaulk the front of the tire after I was up on the levelers - result: I unhooked from my car and the trailer promptly rolled forward and hit my car

So, in 90F heat (), I hooked up the trailer again, got back on the leveler chaulks, found some firewood in the trailer (fortunately big enough and kind of triangular) and chaulked up the front of the tires.

Oh well, it was too hot for a campfire anyway - and fortunately the trailer hitch just hit my bumper so there was no damage - except to my pride.

Anne,

You might look at using a BAL leveler instead of leveling blocks. Works as a chock as well as leveling.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:33 PM   #6

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
So, when I chalk the wheels, should I use colored chalk? Can someone please explain how using chalk on the tires causes them not to move? Is it sort of like the chalk the parking enforcement people do that ensures that the wheels don't move before they write the tickets?

Going to my room now... No need for the flying monkeys, Ms. Gina!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 03:29 PM   #7

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
BAL Leveler

Had to Google it. Didn't have any idea such a critter existed.

Bonnie
Old 09-04-2007, 05:35 PM   #8

Registry
Hi Byron!

. . . . . . and here's the REST of the story. I actually have a BAL leveler - got it 2 weeks ago and used it once already. But, at this particular campsite, I was on grass. Apparently, lumpy grass. But grass that I didn't think the campground would appreciate me digging out. No way, no how was I going to get that BAL leveler under that tire (and I tried squeezing it under there every which way, in the aforementioned 90F heat!!).

My Escape tires are, I believe, Goodyear ST205-75R- 14's (BAL should fit most 13-15" tires) and on concrete I haven't had a problem. Is it a common problem on uneven ground to have to do some 'modifications' on the ground? I had meant to post to the forum or email you about this since I know you have one and have used it with great success. It seems to me that with my tires, it's just not always very easy to use.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:00 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If modification of the ground (leveling) is necessary I usually to that. I force the leveler under the tire, which at times has dug up a bit of dirt, sod, etc. up. I would be very tempted to get out a shovel if necessary and only enough to make the leveler work. Another option is move the trailer a bit, usually you can find a 2' relative flat spot to put the tire in.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:38 PM   #10

Trailer: 17 ft 2005 Freedom Deluxe Casita
We carry the Bal Leveler and when we need it we are glad we have it. We have found a easy way to use it with getting it under the tire. We place a bubble block under the tire first. This slight lift off the ground will gived room for the two ends of the bal leveler to slide into place and under the tire.

Hope this helps.
Terrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:53 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs down

Quote:
BAL Leveler
Quote:
Designed for single axle trailers only
Old 09-04-2007, 11:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Though it may be designed for single axle trailers, I'm wondering why one could not use 2 on a tandem axle. Crank each one up a bit at a time. The only thng I can think of is that there might not be enough room between the two tires for the arms.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:04 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Great story, Peter

So, has no one heard of parking brakes? Chocks are for axles which do not have parking brakes. I'm sure the van would stay put with just the rear tires braked; do we chock the front tires of rear-wheel-drive vehicles when we park them? I'm not bitter about needing to chock tires every time I park the trailer just because someone didn't include the obvious parking brake in the trailer's equipment...

Ah, the famous BAL Light Trailer Tire Leveler... see the following topics for more more in-depth discussion:
Leveling and stabilizing
Will you Level with me?, In Campgrounds, Is one side more often lower?
The previously linked site says it is 20 3/8" wide, so two of them side-by-side would work with tandem axles at least that far apart. The Fiber Stream must have just about that spacing - based on Frederick's 5.30x12 tire size - so maybe Roy's idea would work. Would the small tires jam down into the leveler?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #14

Registry
GREAT idea!!! Thanks! (where was I when the creativity genes were passed out?!)

Quote:
We place a bubble block under the tire first. This slight lift off the ground will gived room for the two ends of the bal leveler to slide into place and under the tire.