"Glamping" or... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2014, 07:47 AM   #1

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
"Glamping" or...

I kept seeing this term "glamping" showing up on this site and wondered what it was all about. I had never really thought about glamorous and camping in the same sentence (except maybe in some old movies about African Safaris or some such.) I guess my reasons for camping and owning my little Burro™ are a bit more plebeian than that. Sooo since we have that term as an identified subset of the pastime, has anyone thought of a term for those of us who do without the glamour, you know, like YUFFIES were "young urban failures" in the days of the Yuppies, etc. With a Fiberglass Egg, it's not really "primitive camping" so how about something like "PLOMPING" for "PLain Old caMPING?" I thought of "POMPING," but that sounds too ostentatious.

Froggie
Just Chillin' in The Shenandoah Valley in my plain old Burro!
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:11 AM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I reject being typified in any way, but do kind of like Plomping.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #3

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Well to each their own, that is my motto.

Technically I am probably Glamping a bit...my ParkLiner has a kind of bohemian touch to it, but I am an artist at heart and since I own it and can decorate it as I see fit why not? Now I dram my line at china and crystal lol too easily broken but I do have a setting for 2 of lead free pewter that I eat off of to eliminate paper plates but I already owned it for several years.

I still want to cover the carpeting on the walls with the same poplar wood that are my cabinet doors to make it more cabin'like.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I camp in a glamped up UHaul. I think its all camping.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:51 PM   #5

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
When I Glamp I put up all my fancy lights and use my best dishes,use my nice fabric table clothes,in general I decorate my camp sight. When Glamping we relax,take short walks maybe swim,read books and talk a lot. listen to good music. Now when we camp it is regular lights,paper plates,paper or no table cloth,camp fires,pie irons and hot dogs.Long rides on the bike trails or all day in the kayaks.
That is how I define the difference between the two,both the same but a little bit different.

Happy Camping/Glamping to one and all
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:28 PM   #6

New Jersey
Registry
heh Lynn, I think I glamp through life lol...I like to read, maybe go swimming or take a walk, BS with friends, drink(something stronger then tea)

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 09-21-2014, 12:05 AM   #7

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Lynn, I like your definition but I guess I am just not a glamper. Thought that was reserved for Airstreamers anyway. I won't be getting out the good dishes except in very rare cases. Good tablecloth --- well, I like that idea and now I will have to find one. Then I can have a go at real glamping.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:23 AM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
This is our concession to Glamping. We are big fans of anything Tervis. What's not to like about a wineglass that will hold half a bottle of wine, and is almost bullet-proof?

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Tervis Goblet.png  
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #9

Well folks I must confess .....we do a LOT more Camping than Glamping( at least by the way I define them) Late Fall,Winter and early Spring is mostly Glamping weather. Trails are to muddy to ride or walk down,wind is to strong & cold to have the boats in the water.That's the times of year we get together with our brothers & sisters for campfires quite talks and maybe even some games.The rest of the year is hard camping with our daughters & grand kids.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:37 PM   #10

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
...So glad you asked! We're all "glamping" 'cause our FGRVs provide a much higher level above roughing it while tent camping. That said, some of us enjoy decorating our trailer interiors as well as the campsite and picnic table. I am a glamper who takes joy in finding the right accessories for my trailer "theme" of the moment. I dare not get overly "girly" though as my husband also enjoys the surprise themes I come up with. To date my themes are Fall Foliage, Tropical Paradise, Desert Oasis and Patriotic Red, White and Blue. Up and coming themes include Elvis and the 50's, Alpine Retreat, Alaskan Outback and Cowboy/Cowgirl Ranch Life.

While we hike all day while camping it's just plain fun to come back to a themed site. I never spend very much money and I have a great time sewing curtain panels, pillows, comforters and blanket throws. See photo a peek at my desert theme.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 008.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #11

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I meant to say..."a much higher level above roughing it than tent camping"
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #12

Name: Brian
Trailer: Casita
California
Registry
Glamping? Sounds like camping with a chauffeur, maid, and a campground host in a velvet smoking jacket puffing a Cuban, sipping single malt scotch while apologizing about the lack of JP1 to refuel the Lear Jet and caviar..... till noon.

Plomping? Like above, another spell check alert to the unending assassination of the King's English but just as much fun as glamping except the campground host mooches a cigarette, a beer, and some much needed laundry soap while apologizing for the late maintenance in the pit toilets........ till December.

Would "Damping" be camping RIGHT ON the lake, river, beach, or within 3 spaces from the campground pool? And it's spell check approved.
Backroad Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:55 AM   #13

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
For thse who give tours of their trailers, velvet rope, red carpet and a bouncer should be part of the glamping equipment.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:27 AM   #14

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I agree with Lynn. Good silverware and actual plates (not paper), wine glasses, table cloth, maybe candlelight dinners, perhaps chaise lounges rather than “bag” chairs, probably awning lights, maybe potpourri in the trailer. What Gallagher referred to in one of his routines as STYLE.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 07:56 AM   #15

New Jersey
Registry
I medieval Glamped when I was in the SCA (a medieval reinactment group) Large canvas period pavillion, robe bed, furs over wooden chairs...carpets for the floor... fancy hanging candleabra's etc.... I liked that it would look like a scene from a painting of medieval times....

Old 09-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #16

deryk,sure do miss SCA events....some of the Best Glamping ever.....we where not members,but have 2 daughters that were/are.We use to always go to watch Lady Diana(our #2 DD) and Don Giacomo(married to oldest DD) They were both Rapier fighters. Always had lots of fun dressing up and spending the day with them.
My husband designed several things for them to look period and match the 2 different set ups...one was an ice chest

Happy Camping to all
Old 09-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #17

Gilda...I love your Glamping style and do so enjoy all your "Themes"when you post your pictures. Keep up the good work!

SteveL. ....We camp so much with our daughters & their families that it is hard to Glamp very much. I do so enjoy it when we go just the 2 of us and have our brothers & sisters join us. Just relax and do all the things that seem relaxing to us and not the kids.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #18

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
"Glamping" or...

I enjoy looking other's camp set ups...the whole range from simple to glam. And for my wife and i if in our Van+Parkliner i'd have to say (as others have) that our camp _mood_ changes with the seasons. From late fall through spring thaw we find ourselves typically in a state park with full hook ups on our adventures. But once the sun comes out we are off grid and definitely leave the "Lights" behind as we prefer not to be noticed off the forestry trails.

...that said... we "Glamp" in our full time 5th wheel every day we are in it. There's no foolin' any guests that life in a nicely kept big RV can certainly be relaxing, fun, and simple...all with a Glamping feel.

Cheers,
Thom

PS... OH, our "Glamping" only goes so far as even in the full time rig we use/enjoy our fine-paper-china-ware
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote