Glass Delaminating Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2010, 02:04 AM   #1

Trailer: Burro 13 ft
I went to look at a Land and Sea "El Macho" today, my first attempt at finding a pod to fulfill my vision. I was rather disappointed to find it in much worse condition than had been explained (after driving 2 hours). She said the cushion covers may need to be replaced. One look and I knew everything needed to be replaced.

Every window seal was cracked enough to see daylight, the bellyband was completely gone, the wiring frayed, cabinets/rivets ripped out of walls, puddles of water in the corners, every piece of hardware was damaged or missing.... the list goes on. The issue that I noticed the most was a sagging ceiling around the top vent. I pushed on it and knew it was toast. This being my first inspection, I was pretty sure this was an indication of where water leaked and had delaminated the layers of glass and was basically non repairable without buckets of cash. I climbed on the bumper and could push in the roof about 2 inches without much effort.

My question is, how would you repair a section like this? My first thought was to cut out all the rot and replace with a much larger skylight. Is this condition always a complete deal breaker or are there solutions? Is this problem common or only in severe cases of neglect?

Thanks for any help.
kyle minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: kyle minor... Eggs are very thin shelled with no framing in walls/ceilings. Like a "Unibody" car they rely on ridges in the body and inner cabinets for strength. I have never seen fiberglass "Rot" but it can sag over the years. That said... once you have seen a bad one it's easier to recognize a good one. You will know when you spot "The one for you"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Kind of difficult to understand the issues without being able to see them....sort of like you couldn't tell from the description the seller gave you.

I would say it depends entirely upon the price and your level of expertise and willingness to learn it if needed.
It seems you are eager to tackle some things that others here would never think of regarding skills you already have so maybe this is just another chance to customize?
My first Egg had a giant automotive sunroof over the bed area and it was nice for light and air but also let in a lot of heat.

The bigger thing I can not understand for the life of me is how people can describe the condition of these either bald-faced lying or so out of touch with reality it is scary!?!?!?

I once drove 17 hours one way (so don't feel too bad) to buy a Casita that was described and PICTURED as being in decent condition.
It was so bad upon my seeing it that I was astounded. I even had pictures sent to me of certain possible problem areas before going that somehow did not reveal the true condition of the areas photographed?

I have a hard time accepting that anyone could really be dense enough to not see damage like this and I have to believe they were attempting to deceive and scam me.
Later I saw the same rig for sale again but refurbished,I could still recognize it through certain features as the same unit.
I contacted the seller and he told me the story of buying it right after I drove away and it not making it 10 miles away before the frame broke.

What is wrong with people?

So take it how you feel it but I would try to find one to start off with that is in better fundamental condition than that one and chalk up the drive to a learning experience.

There are other ones out there,one has your name on it.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #4

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Agree with previous posts... chalk it up to experience. Thomas Edison had MANY MANY blind alleys in the process of his experiments. He was famous for being HAPPY when something didn't work out - "That is one more wrong path eliminated. One step closer to the final, CORRECT path."

So, realize you are now one trailer closer to YOUR trailer. And it **IS** out there.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Worth it? Depends on skills, abilities, budget and finished expectations. Some would take this project on and have fun with it. Others may take it on and never finish it.

If you choose to continue looking, have you checked out these sites in addition to all the molded classifieds in all the molded trailer sites?

http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/

http://craiglook.com/, here's the search for all Scamps (including Scamp cars): http://craiglook.com/all.html?q=Scamp

Here's one for sale in San Francisco: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/rvs/1741752754.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I think what you saw is the TIP of the iceburg meaning you have an additional 90% that you have not seen.

Now you know what to look for.

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:06 PM   #7

Trailer: Burro 13 ft
Thanks for all the responses. The seller was asking $2k and said she paid $2.7K, not sure how long ago. It was obvious it hadn't moved in years and had been completely pounded by the sun and rain as well as general neglect. I was amazed how good the pics looked and how different reality was. After I showed her all the the obvious issues and how much work it would be to stop the rain from coming in Before you could start on the interior, she felt bad. I'm sure I could have hooked it up for $600 had I pushed for it but I was in no mood to feel the anxiety of dragging that through Bay Area rush hour traffic on a Friday, hoping it would stay together. I design and build furniture for a living, so have a good idea how much work was needed. If I were retired and wanted a project it may have been worth it. As it is, I already have far too many side projects and want to enjoy a decent trailer for camping and fix it up over the years. If anyone is up to the challenge, I will gladly pass on her info and my detailed observations.

Thanks
kyle minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I think her paying you $600 to tow it to the dump would be more reasonable. Do you think the wheel bearings, tires, suspension would last until you got it there?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote