Glenwood Springs, Colorado area. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-09-2008, 07:24 AM   #1

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I've been planning a trip to the Glenwood Springs area of Colorado for the past year to take two weeks of instructions. I tried making reservations last Fall, but none of the RV parks in the area (there are only 3!) would accept reservations until the first of April. So I did my research and found the nicest of the 3 and made my reservations the 1st of March. I'm glad I did, because they were almost booked for the summer when I called!!!!! I'm supposed to leave for Glenwood Springs on the 15th of June.............just 7 days from now. Last night I received a telephone call from the campground telling me they'd cancelled my 15 day reservation.............along with everyone elses, because an oil company had come in and reserved the entire park for the whole season, and beyond, for their employees. There are no other decent reservations in the area.

I'm trying to find someone-who-knows-someone who lives in the area who would be willing to rent me a spot beside their garage, (or in their backyard, or even driveway) where I could park my Casita for two weeks and have water and electricity to hook into.

Can anyone on the forum help? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
My opinion is that a written confirmation is a contract between you and them so If you have a written confirmation of the reservation go see a lawyer to get a professional opinion on what to do.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:25 AM   #3

Nothing written. I'm not trying to find a legal solution.............just a place to stay.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:12 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Chris,

Edit your topic. Put Glenwood Springs CO in the heading with need space.

I almost didn't read your post. Maybe someone who could help in CO will pass the post without reading.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:14 AM   #5

Okay, Nancy, thanks.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft
Hopefully this link will help you . . . . .

http://www.campgroundreviews.com/search.php
Rick Helgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #7

Thanks, Rick, I'm a member of that forum and have checked on everything available.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Chris, I knew this would happen............ to campers. The place is crawling with workers up there. They can't build homes fast enough for them. Every campground we saw last weekend was packed to the gills! Do you have to stay in Glenwood? Cause one of my "fav" places is up the road in Red Stone. It's just a little state run campground. in the town of Red Stone. Any of the other campgrounds will most likely be full and most of them are real dumps up there. But Red Stone is the coolest little town and the campground is on the edge of town. The crystal river runs thru town ( Gold Medal Waters) Great food, Bar's, shopping only draw back is if you have to be in Glenwood alot, it's about a 30 min drive give or take a few....................... I think the name is just Red Stone campground. You could try Rifle Gap Reservoir, About a 30 to 40 min drive into Glenwood. There is a shorter way in, if you go the back way in thru New Castle. Good Luck to you! I know a lot of people up there but most of them live farther out or up towards Aspen. Condo's etc. Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:12 PM   #9

Chris, Another thought is Rudi Reservoir. It's up above Basalt. Long ways to Glenwood. But there are not a lot of options there and your going to have to look for State ran campgrounds. Cause I am sure the oil company's hit every private campground. As I said, the 4 campgrounds we saw were packed! And was told that was how it was all the way to Grand Junction. Even the campground that's down east of the Glenwood Canyon was full....... It's nothing, no tree's, just nothing. I would love to know which campground did this to you. Cause from what I was told, they were honoring their reservations. hmmmmmm. Interesting! Robin
Old 06-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I have to echo what Robin said.
If you can stay in Redstone it is worth it.
I have also stayed in Marble which is just down the road and very nice too.
I can imagine it being very crowded,it just isn't right what they did with your reservations.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #11

I've traveled extensively in that part of Colorado for the past 30 years. I'm very familiar with Redstone. Every campground I've talked with along the Crystal river is full-up the dates I'm needing.

My classes start at 7 am each day, so I need to be close enough I don't have to get up at 4 am to get there!
Old 06-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #12

Sorry Chris, I don't have other answers for you. You know there is a Wallie World . Hey maybe if you called one of the raft company's explained your situation to them they would let you park on site. I don't know about the raft guides in Glenwood but in Montana they lived on site. They might there as well. It's worth a try. Since you need to be in Glenwood. Good Luck! Robin
Old 06-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #13

Thanks Robin. I'll give them a try.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:47 PM   #14

Thanks for all the help and suggestions..............along with understanding my utter frustration with the predicament I was in.

I finally booked a couple of sites for the two weeks I needed. For anyone's information, I found available sites at Rifle Gap State Park. The fees included water-sewer-electricity..............for $22 a night, plus an $8 reservation charge and I'll have to buy a season park pass at $60. (it costs $6 a day to enter a Colorado State Park, so I saved some money this way!)

My problem is solved. But I'm afraid the people of Glenwood Springs are in the middle of a real problem. Turns out all the campgrounds and the majority of the motels and hotels have been reserved by oil-drilling companies for their employees while they drill new wells in the area. That means there will be a whole lot less tourist traffic for the summer................and that's what keeps Glenwood Springs alive.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:10 PM   #15

Oh I am glad you found a site......... Not close, but! Hope the rest of your trip is enjoyable! Good Luck! Robin
Old 06-11-2008, 05:17 AM   #16

Thanks, Robin. I agree, entirely. I'm just glad to have the whole ordeal over with so I can get ready to leave. Only 5 days now!!!!!