Go BIGfoot or Go Home - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-19-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: Phoenix PULSE SC
Oregon
Posts: 20
Go BIGfoot or Go Home

Apologies if this is in the wrong subsection.


So I am looking for a suitable Cabin shell to mount on a Fuso FG 4x4 for Ski Resort travel.


Besides Bigfoot, and Escape (or the rare as a Polar Bear (Northern Lite) are there any other FG units good for sub freezing ?


Travel will be in the PNW and Interior BC so nothing below 0˚ and mostly much warmer. Major snow only occurs above 15˚ so I would have the rig in the barn during those weeks.


Speaking of Bigfoots anyone know how to spot a 2500 vs a 1500 easily on say a CL posting lacking the info ? Will be mounting on a skid for removal and will insulate the belly even further.


TIA


PM
PDX
USA
__________________

skpiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:40 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Posts: 1,338
Bigfoot trailers built before 2004 are 1500 models. 2005 and later are 2500's. If all you have is a photo. the seam (belly band) is about equal distance from the top to bottom of the trailer on 1500's. On the 2500's the seam is much lower. About 1/3 of the distance from the bottom.

I believe Oliver trailers have a winter package that is more extensive than Bigfoot.
__________________

Jack L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:50 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: Phoenix PULSE SC
Oregon
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Bigfoot trailers built before 2004 are 1500 models. 2005 and later are 2500's. If all you have is a photo. the seam (belly band) is about equal distance from the top to bottom of the trailer on 1500's. On the 2500's the seam is much lower. About 1/3 of the distance from the bottom.

Excellent Info Jack. Best scores on these are from someone who doesn;t know what they got !




Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I believe Oliver trailers have a winter package that is more extensive than Bigfoot.

Oh I love the Oliver's but no one here wants to see me rip out much of the interior and install bunks in their place. An older BF sure but that would be blasphemous indeed...


PM
PDX
USA
skpiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:27 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Doug Arthurs's Avatar
 
Trailer: Bigfoot
Posts: 135
Registry
How does one know if their Bigfoot has the winter insulation package?
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Arthurs View Post
How does one know if their Bigfoot has the winter insulation package?
I do not think an of the 1500's have a winter package. On the 2500's it's my belief that some do and some do not have it. Hopefully someone with a 2500 series will have an answer.
Jack L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Jon Vermilye's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Posts: 1,613
Registry
While I love my Escape, it is not as winterized as the Bigfoot or Oliver. Good for the corner seasons, and freezing overnights, but I wouldn't attempt to use the water systems in constant freezing weather.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: Phoenix PULSE SC
Oregon
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
While I love my Escape, it is not as winterized as the Bigfoot or Oliver. Good for the corner seasons, and freezing overnights, but I wouldn't attempt to use the water systems in constant freezing weather.

Thanks.



Was hoping to hear better reports on insulation as they claim it to be. Do most of the Escapes have Dual Panes ?

Might be hard to score a BF as I need to keep it under 19' and likely 17.5. Rear side bed is my preferred layout.


PM
PDX
USA
skpiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: Phoenix PULSE SC
Oregon
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I do not think an of the 1500's have a winter package. On the 2500's it's my belief that some do and some do not have it. Hopefully someone with a 2500 series will have an answer.

Thought most of them would so might be a crapshoot.
Since I will be removing the wheels and putting this up skids I may do my own belly insulation. Maybe even spray foam it one section at a sticky icky time. Better see if I can get elbow length disposables as this will get messy !
skpiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Bruce H's Avatar
 
Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
Posts: 521
It would be easier and a lot less work to mount a Bigfoot or Arctic Fox overhead camper on your truck frame. Trailers are generally more expensive and you would literally have to butcher one to mount it on a truck frame. With an overhead camper you would need some kind of fairly simple flatbed or cross brackets to set it on. Then you would have the option of simply jacking it up and driving the truck out from under it when you didn't need it or it was time to sell.

Water and waste water in cold weather requires more intensive management. The Bigfoot (and I believe the Arctic Fox) have interior heated tanks for both. You have to remember to keep the water heater going often enough to keep it from freezing also.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Jon Vermilye's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Posts: 1,613
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by skpiste View Post
Thanks.



Was hoping to hear better reports on insulation as they claim it to be. Do most of the Escapes have Dual Panes ?

Might be hard to score a BF as I need to keep it under 19' and likely 17.5. Rear side bed is my preferred layout.


PM
PDX
USA
All Escapes are available with dual pane windows, an extra layer of insulation, and spray foam on the bottom. In addition, heating pads can be installed on the tanks (they are 12v, but draw enough that you will need hookups to run them any length of time). Still, Escape does not claim their trailers are 4 season. Exterior tanks and a single wall shell limit their cold weather comfort, although the furnace in my 21 has no problem keeping me comfortable at an overnight 25F temperature.

Again, the difficulty is the outside tanks. I know Escape owners use their trailers in sub freezing temperatures for skiing, etc, but they don't use the water system, flushing the toilet with RV antifreeze.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:32 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
ZachO's Avatar
 
Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Posts: 1,277
Registry
I actually think that with the vehicle in question, a travel trailer would require less modification than an overhead slide-in camper. It would honestly just be a matter of bolting it on.


Click image for larger version

Name:	file.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	120811
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:42 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: Phoenix PULSE SC
Oregon
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
It would be easier and a lot less work to mount a Bigfoot or Arctic Fox overhead camper on your truck frame. Trailers are generally more expensive and you would literally have to butcher one to mount it on a truck frame. With an overhead camper you would need some kind of fairly simple flatbed or cross brackets to set it on. Then you would have the option of simply jacking it up and driving the truck out from under it when you didn't need it or it was time to sell.

Water and waste water in cold weather requires more intensive management. The Bigfoot (and I believe the Arctic Fox) have interior heated tanks for both. You have to remember to keep the water heater going often enough to keep it from freezing also.

I have looked at those setups but the sleeping configs do not suit my needs. I need to sleep 4-5 people for tours and even a HOST Mammoth sleeping submarine style will never work. Most RV's are Cuddle Buddy sleepers and that's not going to be the focus for my operation.


See more below....
skpiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: Phoenix PULSE SC
Oregon
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Again, the difficulty is the outside tanks. I know Escape owners use their trailers in sub freezing temperatures for skiing, etc, but they don't use the water system, flushing the toilet with RV antifreeze.

Don't plan on using any waste tanks. I use Dr Bonners only and always drain to waste.



See more below...
skpiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:45 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Name: Paul
Trailer: Phoenix PULSE SC
Oregon
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I actually think that with the vehicle in question, a travel trailer would require less modification than an overhead slide-in camper. It would honestly just be a matter of bolting it on.
Yep that's it and I will have it made with a Stake Bed so I can haul ... well pretty much anything I want with the camper slid off. Way easier in my opinion.


See More Below...
__________________

skpiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bigfoot


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bigfoot motor home on Craigslist Rusty01 Classified Archives 0 10-05-2010 01:21 AM
Home with the Bigfoot 21' Charles Richerson General Chat 3 02-10-2007 03:47 PM
WANTED: 24' Bigfoot Moter Home (1999 or earlier) Louise1950 Classified Archives 1 08-17-2006 07:30 PM
A nice Bigfoot on the FiberglassRV home page! Yves Pelchat General Chat 1 03-24-2006 01:15 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.