Going - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2014, 06:37 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Going

well, its time. Leaving tomorrow morning for Backus MN. Stopping off at the MOA for day or so, my wife always said. " like to see that place" and i always said "yeah sure" Well now I got no excuse, we will be close to it on the way up.
Hope every thing works as it should. I will be there Tuesday, the 30th of September. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Good luck Carl! I hope your trip is as much fun as our's was. Don't forget to take and share some photos. Just a guess, but I'm betting your wife will be more impressed with Mall Of America than you are. Maybe you can find something for your new egg.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #3

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 16ft, Layout 4
Minnesota
Protip: mall of America is right across the street from an IKEA, where they have many wonderful shelves and utensils that your Scamp might use well. We have added a rail and basket system complete with hooks for coffee mugs when parked and a folding dish rack.

(I live in Saint Paul and work within 5 minutes of MOA)

Enjoy your Scamp!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
DrewSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #4

Name: Emily
Trailer: Future Scamp 5th Wheel owner
Ohio
Awesome tip Drew, thanks! We too plan on stopping at MOA when we pick up our scamp next May.have a great trip Carl. Let us know how it goes.
Bessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #5

Pennsylvania
OK, got her home, what a time with the weather, other then that, everything went well. The Rav4 towed her very good with out extras. The brakes need some tweaking with the very wet then dry roads. My lack experience braking with them also 1st time i ever towed a trailer. Top speed was 60mph when conditions were right. I did not take any pics yet. My PC took a s@#%$t just before we left, bought a new tower and been working on it all day to set up for pics. but darkness moved in. But i have a buddy up there that proves i was there. (see below)
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0402.jpg  
Old 10-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
going

Oops here i am, that is my other half in the above photo
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0400.jpg  
Old 10-07-2014, 06:44 PM   #7

Michigan
Alright Carl! Way to go! I've been wondering how you were doing. Glad to hear your towing went so well. Now the real fun begins. Do you have any trips planned? How about FL for the winter?

Tom
Old 10-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
pics

Pics below
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0414.jpg   DSCN0415.jpg  

DSCN0416.jpg   DSCN0417.jpg  

Old 10-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #9

Pennsylvania
few more

some more
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0418.jpg   DSCN0419.jpg  

DSCN0423.jpg  
Old 10-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Looks great Carl! Now get out and put a couple of coats of really good wax on it so it keeps that shine new look for years to come! ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #11

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Wow, mighty pretty little side dinette Scamp right there I tell you. I am all green with envy. Gonna go home and beat my old Scamp for being so ugly.

You know I am lying, I would sooner cut off my arm than beat my Scamp.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've noticed a couple of changes there...the wood now looks 'cherry'... I believe I saw one of those at the LBL Rally...TomK maybe.

And, I see a "First Alert" alarm. Did they put that in there or did you? I'm wondering why they put the alarms in there so low? I would want it higher personally. But another thing, mine is a combination smoke/CO. (Installed and paid for myself).

It looks very nice...clean and new. I LOVE a new camper smell. Congrats and as you've been told...keep it waxed and it wont "dull" out on ya. It will still yellow though eventually...at least mine is starting to and it stays waxed and under a carport!
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
I like the reddish wood! Very nice unit, hope you enjoy it for a long time to come!
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #14

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Alright Carl! Way to go! I've been wondering how you were doing. Glad to hear your towing went so well. Now the real fun begins. Do you have any trips planned? How about FL for the winter?

Tom
Hi Tom, thanks for the good wishes. No trips planned so far, got a lot of things to learn before i venture out again. After towing her for 1300 miles or so , I was glad i got her in the driveway safe. gonna stop there and see whats next. A lot of stuff to read.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #15

Pennsylvania
Thanks everyone for your replies. Carl
Old 10-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #16

Michigan
Carl, that is one fine looking Scamp! That extra 3 feet looks more like 5. I like the side dinette. I hope to see you at a rally next year. Your dog looks like he thinks it's his Scamp. My dogs took to it like they've been camping all their lives.

Hi Darral. That is cherry wood. They started using that in Jan of this year.

Tom
Old 10-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hey Tom,

I thought it was yours that had the cherry.

It looks like this one may have the larger 54" bed? I too like the side dinette. In fact, we looked at a used 16'er with the side dinette but I just wasnt for sure if I would be comfy pulling it with my 4 cyl. This one had the bathroom as well but no A/C. But looking back, it ALSO had the 42-44" bed. You lose alot of cabinet space with the side dinette but looks like they make up some of it with the overhead cabinet at the dinette.

I asked Carl about the alarm but go no response; but I'd sure love to know what this one weighs! It does look really nice. I hate to say it, but if this one has the larger bed and I could have pulled it, the wife would have probably been happy indefinitely with the arrangement. A biggie is being able to leave the bed down and still have a place to just sit and/or eat.

Enjoyed the chats with ya at Piney.

Darral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Carl, that is one fine looking Scamp! That extra 3 feet looks more like 5. I like the side dinette. I hope to see you at a rally next year. Your dog looks like he thinks it's his Scamp. My dogs took to it like they've been camping all their lives.

Hi Darral. That is cherry wood. They started using that in Jan of this year.

Tom
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #18

Michigan
Hi Darral, I think it's a 44" bed, but it does look bigger. Maybe a wide angle lens setting? There is no overhang on the dinette benches.

The first Alert carbon monoxide detector is mounted in a similar position on ours. The booklet that came with it says it should be "centrally located outside each sleeping area". I believe Scamp's thinking was that it's across from the heater, and most likely to pick up small amounts of CO quickly?

Look for email at the address you gave me.

Tom
Old 10-11-2014, 10:21 AM   #19

Pennsylvania
Hi Darral, I really didn`t read everything yet, it is all new to me. So i couldn`t really give a good ans.on the tech end. The bed is about 44" The side dinette bed is 24". The camper sleeps 3 people who really like each other. My wife and I slept in the bed very comfy and were able to get up during the night without bothering each other to much. Our kids are in there 40s and there kids are in their 20s. We have one grand kid 13 that may want to come with us over the next couple of years but not much. If they all come i am sure we will work something out some way, we always have.
I really like the Cherry doors, i was going to change them, but heck, they are nice and i am going to leave well enough alone. It is really easy to change the bed to a table and visa-versa. We plan to change them around and use the table has counter space while awake, plus it seems roomy with the table up. While sitting at the side dinette it seems very comfortable and with curtains open very spacious, I do not feel closed in at all. We should have some nice card games and snacks at the dinette during the night before we get sleepy. I am pleased. Carl