Going from Casita 16 ft LD to 17 ft LD - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2019, 06:29 AM   #1

Name: outdoorman
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Going from Casita 16 ft LD to 17 ft LD

My 1998 16 ft Liberty Deluxe will likely be 'totaled' by my insurance carrier giving me cash back to make a replacement purchase.
I'm kind of happy as this was my first tt and it did have 'issue'.
Need opinions from those who know if a later year (perhaps 2012)
17 ft Liberty Deluxe feel more spacious than my old trailer?
I anticipate camping solo most of the time but may occassionally have another person joining me.
I do know the 17 ft has more cabinet space overhead but not sure the extra foot in length feels larger when your inside.
outdoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:07 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
It is my sense that most (all?) of that extra foot goes into the bed width.

Otherwise the aisle length is about the same as the 16', but because the fridge is deeper the aisle is a skosh (1-2") narrower (I've measured) in the 17'.

Unless everyone's in bed(!) I'm not clear there's any sense of the 17' being larger on the inside.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Going from Castia 16 ft LD to 17 ft LD

It’s several inches taller inside with a larger fridge, roof A/C, flat floor (no step-up), a flat entry door with screen door, and a large rear window that opens (can’t have enough windows and ventilation, in my opinion!). Of course there’s also the extra 500# and an additional 100# tongue weight, give or take.

In my opinion it’s worth it for the extra features unless the extra weight pushes you into a new tow vehicle or the extra height pushes you out of your garage.

If you contact Casita, they can try to set you up with a nearby owner for a look-see. The feeling of spaciousness cannot always be measured in inches.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 10:08 AM   #4

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I'm more familiar with SDs, but I find the side dinette on a 17' much more comfortable/ less cramped. Not sure whether that's mostly due to the lower floor, or there's a bit more horizontal space also.

Walt
Old 03-16-2019, 11:43 AM   #5

Name: J
Alabama
Casita 17

I have a casits delux 17 mighe be interested in selling located in alabama
J Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #6

Name: Stuart
Trailer: Casita spirit 17
New Hampshire
16 ft or 17 ft

We looked at both the 16' & 17' and preferred the 17' Spirit deluxe for the same reasons mentioned in a couple of other posts: slightly larger fridge & bed (we leave ours set up all the time - use underneath for storage crates & the bed as a lounging area for reading); we very much like the side dinette; roof a/c etc also good. the flat door with full screen is a definite plus. Most important is the larger rear window that opens for ventilation. This is a must in hot weather If you can, get the package with the "high lift" axel and 15" tires.
stu-ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:18 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Personally I would go with the Spirit over the Liberty, solo even more so! The Liberty gives you a larger bed at the expense of no separate dinette. I much prefer having a separate dinette where I can leave the bed in bed mode full time yet enjoy a dinette too.

We had a Liberty which was a mistake for us. As much as people like sitting outside (me too), sooner or later you will have bad weather where sitting inside becomes important! “Twin” beds on the Liberty are extremely narrow, about 22 inches whereas a real twin is 39 inches wide.

17 over 16 for sure. Taller inside, roof air.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #8

Name: outdoorman
Georgia
I appreciate the responses
the reason I'm interested in the Liberty Deluxe over the SD is because of twin beds.
I travel solo but sometimes my brother or my sons will come along so a separate bed is needed.
I used the Liberty twin as a bed all of the time and just put up one of the tables for dining.
What about the 17 ft Spirit? What is the length of the dinette sleeper...can an average height adult sleep in it?
I plan to buy a USED trailer so can someone advise what is the earliest year to buy a 17 ft.
I don't know what year important changes were made so I don't want to make a purchase mistake I would regret later.
My Vehicle is a Silverado doublecab Z71 4WD with tow package so no problem with towing weight.
outdoorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:05 PM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Casita has routinely upgraded their construction. Talk to the Casita people for details. I’d get the newest one that fits within your budget.

To me table is not just for dining. It’s for reading a book, or using your computer, or playing cards, or whatever.

Realize Casita makes only one 17ft tub. Want a bigger bed? Ok, the space comes out of something else. Want a side dinette? Ditto. So all the 17 foot models use the same shell.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:07 PM   #10
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
We had a 16 LD for a couple of years before upgrading to the 17 LD.

Some of the extra length seems to have gone into the bathroom; plus, the higher ceiling of the 17 is helpful in the bath.

On our 1999 LD, we LOVED the extra counter space in the galley. In more recent models it looks like the Liberty counter is the same length as those in Spirit and Freedom models. We also preferred the closet mounted air conditioner which is no longer offered in the 17s. It's a deal breaker to me to not be able to have the Fantastic Fan over the bed (which is where the roof air is mounted now). I don't know which years Casita made either of those changes.

We loved our 17 LD for 16 years. We appreciated its open feel, and the windows by the bed are longer than on the side dinette (Spirit and Freedom) models. The pretty much all around overhead storage is a nice feature of all the 17s. YMMV, but some folks don't like the Liberty because your back is to the door if you're working at the sink or stove...

Good luck with it!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #11

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
My understanding is that the '15 and later models come with the HEPVO valve already installed. Does away with the P-trap in the shower drain and the open/closed lever for draining. Mine is supposed to be a '15 but it does not have this valve. Built date on the tag says late '14 so that may be the reason. So I would look for something in the '15s and up just to have that valve. You can read about it here at Little House Customs. You can also read about the faster way to drain the gray water. I have not had either one done as yet but intend to...

https://littlehousecustoms.com/store.html#plum
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #12
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mitch View Post
J Mitch - what year is your Casita?
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:53 PM   #13

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mitch View Post
Do you have info and a price, maybe some pictures?
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:15 PM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: enjoying our 17ft Casita
Virginia
Smile 16ft to 17ft

Wife and I bought a 16ft Casita and enjoyed using it for two years...we sold it and bought a 17ft to take advantage of the larger fridge and taller inside height. I think you will enjoy going to a 17ft
ddnemitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:17 AM   #15

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
16' to 17' change

I had a 16' LD for 15 years before it got flooded, then bought a 17' LD new last year.

The things not to like on the 16':
Small amount of overhead space.
Small fridge.
Bump head inside if you are over 6'
Under the closet AC doesn't circulate to the back well. I used a small fan to help.
Door latch was a kluge. One could pop it open with a small pry bar.
Maybe the new ones have a better latch.

The things TO like on the 16'over the 17:
AC was quiet both inside and outside. I replaced the original AC with a 5000 btu which was able to run using my Honda 1000 generator.
Side sofas were 6" wider than on the 17'.
I could get it into a parking garage if it was >7 1/2' clearance.
Better clearance on the sewer piping if you are jumping curbs or rocks.

I'm happy with the 17' with the better storage and fridge among other things so I'll keep it until I gotta quit camping.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:23 AM   #16

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Talking 17 vs 16

We picked our 2018 Casita Independence 17 last year for the room it has between the two 83"x31" longitudinal, twin beds in back. It does not have a dedicated "dinette" but we wanted the separate beds bks we can get in and out w/o climbing over each other at nite.
The "no-dinette issue" was not important to the 2 of us, as we only ever use one of the two provided table tops for eating, reading etc. In fact we do not even carry the 2nd table top or post, unless we plan on having a small child come with us (rare

We did opt for a second set of 'back cushions' for the beds, to use IF we want more padding to lean back on, while sitting at the table(rare also)
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:37 AM   #17

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
Quote:
I don't know what year important changes were made so I don't want to make a purchase mistake I would regret later.
there's a fairly comprehensive list of changes and the year they were made on the casita travel trailer forum...

https://www.casitaforum.com/invboard...s#comment-9247

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote