going fulltime in sept. - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-09-2006, 08:53 AM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp 13 ft / Landrover Freelander
got the condo rented and I'm off. any good spots in the palm springs/vegas area for the winter? I work as a bartender so I can work anywhere. Are others in 13' full timming it. have advice? best cell plan w/out romeing charge. best mail forewarding service? p.s. any denver peps want to come to my garage sale. I'm selling everything that don't fit in the trailer..lol Bri

Old 07-09-2006, 11:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Sorry. Don't know such things. I work full-time and can only dream of being able to take off and live from place to place in my Casita.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:20 AM   #3

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Pete Dumbleton is our expert on full timing here.

for this area, Verizon is King. I have it for Personal and Sprint/nextel for work. There is no comparison. Verizon works everywhere, I have some problem with the other.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:56 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
There's a Yahoo group called Internet By Cell Phone -- I suggest you join and read it to find the latest -- Verizon and Sprint seem to have the best nationwide coverages -- I'm using my Verizon phone and laptop right now to read/write to the group, using the free nites/weekends minutes on the America's Choice plan.

I have used UPS Stores with great success as my mailing address and re-sending service (they accumulate my mail, I call them and have it sacked/boxed and sent to General Delivery at a small post office).

Up front, you'll have to decide what to use as your official residence address for driver's license, license plates, taxes, voter registration, insurance, etc. Since you own the condo, I would use that as the "residence" address but have all mail sent to the mailing service.

Be advised, the worst thing you can do is have more than one "official residence", esp for tax purposes, because then they all can declare you as their own...
Old 07-10-2006, 01:23 AM   #5

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
Been full-time in the micronaut since sept 04.
Better than forwarding, etc., arrange to pay any bills online, and have your bank, insurance, etc, quit sending you snailmail bills and statements.
Some of them may actually give you a credit for discontinuing paper statements.
Agree with other posts that Verizon has great coverage. I prepay mine so I have no statement or bill.

Agreed, put your "permanent" address in one place for the tax implications...not to mention your voting registration.

Best reccommendation of all is to ELIMINATE bills! Particularly since going solar, Duke Power bills are a distant memory!
Happy Trails!
P
Old 07-10-2006, 08:51 PM   #6

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I don't full time, but cyber space can save you time and money.

For my bills, I use Paytrust It's simple to use, once it is set up. They do everything! ALL your bills can be paid thru them, just set up your account and they give you a PO Box in South Dakota. All your bills are mailed there, they scan them, send you an email saying they have arrived, you log in, click "pay" and they write the check and lick the stamp.

I have mine set up with my checking account, you can even go in and write "one Time" checks to folks if you want. Never do you get an ink stain or stamp cut on your tongue.

For intenet, beside the cell dongles which are dial up speeds, you can get a broadband card. It's a card you slip into your laptop, and it get Broadband speeds from anywhere that broadband is provisioned (With Verizon, it's most major cites and outlying areas). If the area is not provisioned for braodband, you get dial up speeds.

I have switched to that, and I am stricktly cell for voice, no "Land Lines" are in my home.

The card from Verizon is 99 bucks and 60 a month for the service if you have a voice plan with them too. The broadband is unlimited anytime minutes, 24/7. They frown on you downloading tons of music and movies, but if you don't make it a daily habit, you stay under the radar with them.

Verizon Broadband
Old 07-13-2006, 12:39 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Didn't mean to imply that I wait for paper bills to pay them -- I put as much recurring stuf as possible on my credit card and then call the 1-800 number monthly to get the damage -- I then either send a check or make an internet payment (I don't like direct recurring payments out of my bank account, preferring to be the "air gap" between my bank and those billing me; if there's a problem with a decimal point or two, I should easily catch it before it causes damage -- The credit card is one I keep just for the purpose).
Old 07-15-2006, 08:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I have never full-timed or even intend to, but the idea intrigues me. One question I have for those that do in a small RV is . . . . .

What do you do when you get a forecast for about a week of cold rainy weather, especially in the winter when you are already about as far into the southern good weather as you can get?