Going price for used bunk supports? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #1

Name: Morgyn
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Going price for used bunk supports?

I'm getting ready to put an ad on kijiji asking to buy someone's bunk supports but I'm not sure how much I should be willing to pay. All I know is that I'm not paying almost $70 in shipping to get $30 worth of new ones from Scamp!!

Ta!

Morgyn
1981 13' Boler
Nova Scotia

Old 08-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I wouldn't pay that either its nothing more than a piece of pipe with a loop welded on the side to catch a head of a screw and a couple of plastic caps. If it were me I would get 2 sections of steel plumbing pipe and drill a hole in the side for the screw head. I would also preferably make them longer and drill through the fiberglass bench and make the pipes long enough to rest on the floor. Does your bench already have the metal guides on the bench so the poles don't slide out sideways? You can also make them higher so you can take a piece of 1 1/2" pvc and drill 2 holes through 1 wall to make a removable side rail.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:22 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I feel your pain about Scamp's shipping! I was quoted $16.50 to ship $9 worth of plastic rivet caps (weighing a few ounces at most, and would easily fit into the USPS $5.80 flat rate box). Didn't get any concession over the phone, either.

It might be worth posting in the wanted section on this forum as well. You'd still have to pay shipping, but many kind folks here will work with you to minimize the cost. I bought a set of door hardware from a member in MA for a very reasonable cost.

Another option is to have them fabricated by a local welder in your area. They're nothing more than a pair of steel posts with a heavy-duty staple welded near the top and bent to catch a screw on the underside of the top bunk (with plastic caps on the ends). If you're interested, PM me and I can send some close-up pictures and precise dimensions. Does your trailer still have the metal base plates attached to the sofa that the posts fit into?
Old 08-12-2014, 04:41 PM   #4

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Our Boler originally had 1 inch wooden dowels for bunk supports. You could also make aluminum ones from a discarded old aluminum lawn chair for almost no cost to you.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #5

Name: Weldon
Trailer: Eggcamper 2007
Texas
bunk supports

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgynm View Post
I'm getting ready to put an ad on kijiji asking to buy someone's bunk supports but I'm not sure how much I should be willing to pay. All I know is that I'm not paying almost $70 in shipping to get $30 worth of new ones from Scamp!!

Ta!

Morgyn
1981 13' Boler
Nova Scotia
Go to Lowe's, to the closet clothes hanger area. Get the budget aluminum rod that you cut for your size closet. There are metal matching little cups/brackets the ends of the rod rest in, if used in a closet but you will use them to attach to your base or seat area, one at each end of bunk. Then you will attach two on bottom of bunk, cut rod to correct length x 2. Place your two support rods in place, and you are in business for maybe $15.00. This is what Burros actually used on two that I have owned....
Old 08-12-2014, 06:09 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sounding better and better!

Personally, I like the idea of steel over wood or aluminum. I'm sure if you used the right diameter/thickness it would be safe enough, but I'm not a materials engineer, so I'd rather over-design.

Whatever you decide to do, I'd strongly recommend rigging up some kind of safety rail. Do a Google search on this site for "bunk safety rail" and you'll get a number of good ideas (and a few off-the-wall ones!). I like Steve's idea to extend the post a few inches above the mattress so you have a solid place to attach a rail. That could also be adapted to the Scamp set-up if the posts were cut a bit taller. I believe there are some important guidelines about the minimum and maximum gap between the mattress and the rail. Don't want kiddo's head getting caught in there! I recall reading about it in one of the threads on safety rails. I'm sure you'll run across it if you do the search.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #7

Name: Morgyn
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Thanks for all the great ideas!

I do have the lower brackets and the upper pins (??). I doubt I'll ever need to put someone up there as my 8yo prefers to sleep in a 2 man tent if we have one of her friends with us. But it would be nice to know I could if I had to on stormy nights.

My dad was talking about making me some posts but it was hard to visualize how to connect them to the upper bunk as they have to go on the outside edge of it. I'll point him in this direction and see if that helps.

And rails were discussed when we were first looking for a fibreglass trailer. Its not very high but the risk of hitting your head is huge in such a tiny space!!

Morgyn
1981 13' Boler
Nova Scotia
Old 08-12-2014, 08:59 PM   #8

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1981 Casita 13. TV: 2011 Honda CR-V
Wisconsin
Registry
I have a set of bunk posts we just took out of our '81 Casita. Given how similar they were to Scamps then, I'd think they'd work for your Boler. $20+ACTUAL shipping costs if you're interested. I can take pics, etc, just let me know.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #9

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
That's great that you have those for her Nate. I really don't get why Scamps shipping has to be so high. They have got to be getting some profit on top of it. I have been dumbfounded in the past...ordering light items such as snap caps and rubber weatherstripping.

In the end, if I can find it locally now, I do. Anything trailer specific I need from them, I bite the bullet. I find it kind of hurtful, their shipping prices that is. The product price itself is often fair. It would be kind to their loyal fan base to work in those shipping costs. Just my feelings.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-15-2014, 09:38 AM   #10

Name: Lesa
Trailer: 1983 13' Scamp
South Dakota
I have a set from my 1983 Scamp that she can have if she pays shipping costs.