Going to pick up the "SueHaul" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
Well the time has come to go to the bank and pick up cash and trade it for the Uhaul.
I leave early tomorrow, Friday, for Nashville area....yeaha!

Now, I may pick up a Shitzu for a friend. It was his mom's dog. She died suddenly (1mo) of a brain tumor. It's just a pup at 6 mos old. So, we have a traveling companion. Of course the person who whines about the pee, has to give up the dog. The saga goes on.

Wish me luck.
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Luck, luck, luck. Safe travels
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 1999 21 ft Bigfoot (2500 series)
yeah but the dog will match the trailer most likely and then it will be over no matter about uhmmmmmmmmmmmmmm other things.

Good luck.........
Alexandra B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Good luck from a fellow UHauler. Be sure you post pix here and over on uhaulcamper.com.

Remember, the walls of a UHaul wipe down.

CindyL
Old 04-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Happy Travels! Enjoy!
Attached Images

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #6

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Sue-Haul is probably as excited as a puppy in a pound - just waiting for you

Good travelling!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Pat B Ohio... "A Boy named SUE"???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:19 PM   #8

I made it back alive! The weather at the start of the journey was horrible..Thursday night was nickle hail, high winds and lost of rain. I woke early to heavy rain, which turned into a foggy rain ans I drove to Cincy

7 am Upper Sandusky, Ohio - No there are no roller coasters here- that's Sandusky!
I don't have to get the dog...she doesn't want to give her up.
rain fog yucky weather and I75 is full of kids going to spring break so the traffic is very heavy.

9:30 am Cincinnati Ohio - We are crawling through metro area at a brisk 20 MPH - for no apparent reason...there are no dead bodies, mangled cars or police. But the rain is letting up and there are a few signs of spring. You can not stay in one lane and drive through on I75. There is a lot of rough pavement, I hope the other direction is better.
OH NOW I NEED TO PICK UP A DOG IN NASHVILLE. OK whatever. <_<

1:00 pm Louisville KY - So I71 goes to I65 and we go through town. Someone has planted about a 1/2 mile bed of daffodils......beautiful. Bright sunny day everything is looking up. The potholes are even bigger here! The police have their choice of spring breakers to give tickets to....they ignore my old Ford Windstar....

3:00 pm Western KY - I am traveling on the Western Ky parkway. WHAT NO DOG - OK. They have cell phone service here - great! The trees begin to look broken, then there is huge stretch of road that breaks your heart...hardwoods, pine, cedar look like they took a giant weed whacker to them. The ice storm and hurricane have broken the forest. Some of the trees are uprooted; some are snapped off at 20' up. I'm sure the road was impassable. The State is cleaning up back to the edge of the right-of-way (100').

4:00 pm Clarksville TN - Ring Ring - OK Come get the dog.
Michael is all set up and ready to go. We give the trailer a once over and it looks good. Needs a little work, but I expected that. It even has a KEY. Michael has lots of toys and not enough time. As far as I'm concerned...this was well worth the trip. He was great and the rolling gear was good to go...so we did the paperwork.

5:00 pm (4:00 central time) - NOW TO THE DOG IN NASHVILLE>>>Told the owner that I didn't want to drive to the South side of Nashville in rush hour could we meet on the North side? "Oh no, I'm too busy to drive and I don't know where to tell you to go and I'm not sure I want to give her up." Well, she was the one complaining about the pee on the rug....I'm going home.

5:30 pm - Clarksville - Stopped at Walmart. People stared. Got a can of fix a flat, streched my legs and started back North. Fort Campbell is there...man the kids look young. At least they make fatigues and boots that fit women now...not like I had to endure. The Uhaul pulls like a dream. Looks like a big pearl on the back of my old Ford. Beautiful weather, warm, a picture perfect spring day with attach helicopters flying over head....cool.

6:00 pm - Time to retrace my steps. I'll drive until I get tired and then crash in the Uhaul.

9:00 pm - The potholes are bigger at night in Louisville. I moved all the loose stuff into the Uhaul to increase the tongue weight. Oops, the license plate light is out. Oh well.

12:00 pm - I'm doing OK, so I'll drive through Cincy at least. There are cops everywhere!
I have to move over at least 5 times to get around the blue lights. The truckers are nice to me when I take a rest stop at a LOVE's. So, I give them a few homemade cookies. Truckers have a tough life.

3:00 am - Back Home. Safe and the old Ford purred like a cat.

Tomorrow, I will access what I want to do first.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
How in the world were you able keep going that many hours ?

Bill K
Toledo Ohio
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #10

Sweet!

Thanks for the great report, and I'm so glad you're happy with your Sue-Haul. I had a feeling about this one

Makes me wish I'd known the group better when I went to pick up my Boler; would have been fun to make a trip report.

Thank goodness you didn't have to drive around Nashville, potentially for a no-go anyway. That would have been a royal pain.

Raya
Old 04-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT
It was a sincere pleasure to meet Pat. She came prepared for the trip and taught me a few facts about Uhauls that I didn't know

Pat, it's great to hear that you made it back home safely and without incident. I look forward to checking the forum occasionally to see the progress of "SueHaul"
MichaelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:35 PM   #12

How do I drive hours on end?
Drive in heavy traffic on unfamiliar pothole covered roads in orange barrel hell and you stay awake.
Well, frequent stops for just 5 mins. Park far away from the bathroom so you have to run! Don't eat much, eat noisy food to help you stay awake...baby carrots and cornnuts...oh yes Kona Coffee.

I won't do it on a regular basis though. My butt was numb.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:46 PM   #13

Nothing like a good road trip
Old 04-05-2009, 06:57 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Great story! With a very happy ending. Road reports are always interesting to read. Thanks for sharing Pat. Now let the adventures begin
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote