Going to the Mesa Verde area - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-13-2007, 10:18 PM   #15
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Candi Woods
[b]That's hilarious, Roger. I'll bet you wrote the scripts for the Geico caveman commercials, too, huh?

No, no, that's Gecko, isn't it?

Sorry, I haven't responded in my own post, for goodness sakes! I've been busy setting up an outdoor skating rink in our backyard. It's finally cold enough for the ice to freeze good. For a while there I thought we were going to have an overgrown wading pool for the winter. Anybody up for hockey?

Wow, I'm so amazed by the wealth of knowledge I'm getting on this forum. I put out the request doubting I'd get much information. I guess I learned.

Roger, you should get paid for your humorous antics!

Candi Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:28 AM   #16
Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Thanks, Candi (and George )

Our members really have a lot of corporate knowledge on just about any subject you can imagine. This is really a great community of folks, and this thread particularly has excellent info to share!

Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #17
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Candi Woods
And more useful information to share...(off topic)

Get the leaves and sticks off the surface of your ice before they freeze solid to the surface of your ice skating rink. If I'm not careful we may have an obstacle course instead of a rink. I'm off with the heavy duty ice scraper.

The scamp is going to make a nice warming hut for us, and a good place to heat up the hot chocolate.

Now, back on topic. I think that the A&A Campground is going to be a good pick for our family reunion. We have lots of kids coming and the miniature golf course and the heated pool is sure to be a hit with them. It's also very centrally located to other points of interest and towns in the area. We considered the Vallecito lake area, which is beautiful, is in the mountains and has the added benefit of water sports and fishing, but it was so much farther away from Mesa Verde, which is the focus of our visit. Mancos is a good location but they don't have any electrical facilities and we are needing that because of the number of days we will be staying (someday we'll get a solar system, not the really, really big kind, of course ). Another campground nearby seemed to cater mostly to the gigantuon pull through rv's and we don't want to get smooshed by them. They frighten me! The campground in Mesa Verde looks pretty good but they don't have a pool. We are spoiled, aren't we? I remember the days when we used to go backpacking...

Now, after all of this work planning, I just hope my family shows up. It's always a question mark in my mind until I can see them coming down the road and turning the corner. People in our family like to keep their options open.

I'm off to do some backbreaking ice scraping. Hockey? Anybody? I guess I'll just practice my figure eights.
Candi Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:39 PM   #18
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
Here's one that I had forgotten about, Echo Basin, which is about four miles northeast of Mancos. Our local Good Sam chapter had a campout there two years ago for an Old Time Fiddle Contest and concert. We'll go back if they ever have another of those.

Nice spot and has some of the amenities that you are looking for. I've never been inside their cabins, which looked like oversize KOA cabins, or their dining room, so no info on those except what you read on their web site. I think the park shuts down tight in winter and you may get no quick response to phone, email or request for brochures.

In the past they have had a few huge concerts on weekends (such as Charlie Daniels, who has a home near Mancos). The County has pretty well shut down their larger concerts, particularly after they tried to host a Harley-D festival, a la Sturgis, this last Labor Day.

George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote