Going to the other side - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #21

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Hi Steve! We bought a 20 ft Jayco (2700 lbs) last summer. Love it! Still have the Perris Pacer and may move it to Kansas where I can go visit my sis and do my more "rustic" camping. The Jayco will be 40 miles north of me on a leased site on the Missouri River. I have best of both worlds and don't regret the stickie purchase.

I belong to the Jayco Owners Forum, nice people there, too! And just like anything--the new camper needs to be taken care of. I think people get in trouble when they buy one, stick on a storage lot, and don't remember to check the seals, etc, regularly.

Don't regret either purchase!

Vickie
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Steve, It too do understand the dilemma you are experiencing. I had been looking at the lighter stick builts and was thinking of going that way until I really looked into the moulded fiberglass trailers, and once I really compared all the benefits, I knew that the moulded one was the way I would want to go.

One thing to consider is that in 20 years the Escape 19 is going to likely be worth at least $15k (maybe more), whereas the stick built might get you $1k in salvaged parts. Plus there is the ease of pulling, the water tightness, and many other pluses. The purchase price is not the only thing to look at if you intend to keep it for a while.

My Escape 19 came in way under what you are looking at. Granted, I got in on the introductory offer which saved a bit, but I also never bought in to all the options they offer. No A/C until I will really need it. I camp for 5 days at a time in the cold and have never needed solar as the batteries held up fine, I never got the storage box, and for now have more room then I would ever need for gear between the trailer and the tow (only two of us and our dog though). There are a few options that are wise to get if you think you would ever need them, as they are not easy to add after the fact.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
What's the list of options you're looking for Steve? Are they things ordinarily offered by Scamp, or more in the "custom" line?

I ask because plugging in factory options is simpler than redesigning for custom-type requests...

FYI:

If I was in the market for a new trailer, I'd be looking hard at the all-aluminum Camplite!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:01 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Buy the sticky and let us know how it works out.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:44 PM   #25

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Steve, I'm guessing that this is a terrible time to be buying a trailer from a small manufacturer. Everybody has seen the first robin in their yard and it suddenly dawns on them that it's spring and they want to buy a trailer. The builders, who probably up until now have had some time on their hands, suddenly are pressed to deliver everybody's order yesterday if not sooner.

All I can say is don't rush into anything. I've looked inside a Jayco and it's put together with lumber that would be pressed to support a dollhouse. A well-constructed fiberglass trailer will someday make a great gift for the grand kids.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
My 1978 Trillium 4500 was badly neglected for years. The collection of bugs was amazing. After a few hours of my oldest teenagers time, and Sunlight dish soap, it was ready to camp in. Not bad for a 35 year old trailer. The longevity of these trailers is amazing.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #27

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Interesting that she is selling it to buy an Escape which is what Steve wants
What would be really hilarious is if I could buy a 19' Escape from someone who wants to buy my Snoozy ...

Any takers?
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRockiesFan View Post
What would be really hilarious is if I could buy a 19' Escape from someone who wants to buy my Snoozy ...

Any takers?
I would be extremely surprised if you got a taker, but you never know.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #29

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
There are always those who want to trade up and those who want to trade down.
You never know, sometimes they might get together. lol.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #30

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRockiesFan View Post

Any takers?
Suspect the odds are about the same on that happening as my winning the Loto tonight - which I need to buy the Escape of my dreams and the tug to pull it
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #31

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
There are always those who want to trade up and those who want to trade down.
You never know, sometimes they might get together. lol.

I hereby appoint you our New Ambassador to the U.N., Carl- your skill at avoiding an assertion as to which would be which bespeaks great skill in the Diplomacy department!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #32

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Suspect the odds are about the same on that happening as my winning the Loto tonight - which I need to buy the Escape of my dreams and the tug to pull it
Know the feeling........PCH.com
Old 04-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #33

NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

I hereby appoint you our New Ambassador to the U.N., Carl- your skill at avoiding an assertion as to which would be which bespeaks great skill in the Diplomacy department!

Francesca
LOL.............thank you

"Blessed are the peace makers"

Not the peace keepers.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #34

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
Know the feeling........PCH.com
Carl what only a million a year for life? - I dont plan to live that long!
You need to move to Canada where we go big or go home. I bought the winning ticket for the $55 million one for Saturday night & the $10 million one tonight - both all tax free here in the great white north.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #35

NE Oklahoma
My VA doctor said she wanted to get me to 71 or 81.
I said what's wrong with 101? I've planned on hitting a hundred since I was 13.

If I were to hit the elusive dream ticket, I would definitely visit Canada for sure.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #36

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Here is a super deal on an Escape 17 just up for sale here
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-57636.html
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:52 AM   #37
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
. My wife and I like the Escape 19 but with the options my wife desires the cost is over $30,000,00 (Base Price =$24,000.00) and out of our price range . We would rather buy fiberglass but we can buy a stick built with twice the features for half the cost. We do not want to but we are forced to go to the other side. Steve D
I would suggest that over the long term buying one fiberglass trailer is a far better choice than the two to three you will buy if you go stick built. Just not having to get up on the roof to fix leaks should tell you that . I am not an Escape fan, but if they make what you want I would suggest you pay it and then enjoy. In the long run it will be the less expensive route. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:19 AM   #38

Pennsylvania
Registry
I tried going to the other side and did not like it. There is one trait there that is common to most SOB's, that is "make it bigger"!! A big box seems appealing at first with all the storage but after awhile you will see they are all alike. Our little eggs make such good use of space and are so much more cozy inside, this uniqueness is not found on the other side. It's like buying a tract home where all the others are cookie cutters of yours vs having a custom home built the way you want it.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:50 AM   #39

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I came across "Taylor Coach" made in Canada and if there is a worthy stick trailer, it might be it. It is the only smaller stick trailer that seemed to customize and I don't think they even have a "standard" anything but build to suit the customer, a very rare thing. I think it is most important that a person get a "fit" for them and most of us have a price/value point. I cannot imagine that compromises aren't always made in a selection. We have yet to find the "perfect" unit, the "perfect" anything.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #40

Pennsylvania
Registry
Taylor Coach has a nice 4 year warranty, not sure if it covers leaks, but you must have 80 feet of seams where the walls/roof/floor meet in addition to windows all subject to leaks. There is wood floors, wood studs, all subject to rot. The fiberglass trailers do not have these flaws, except maybe for the windows which are easily fixed, but very little wood to rot.