Going to the other side - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #15

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
The Escape 19 has the features we desire ,a full size or larger bed , bath shower toilet, black & grey water tanks ,propane & electric , 4.0 cu ft or larger refrigerator , microwave , gas / electric water heater, AC large enough to actually cool the trailer , gas cooking appliances, propane furnace , storage, 14" or larger tires etc but not at a price of $30.000 There is not much available in a fiberglass travel trailers larger than 16 ft and at an affordable cost unfortunately they are available aplenty in stick built . THUS MY DILEMMA Enough said

Old 04-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #16

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
OMG The new Trillium is amazing!!!!!! Looks like they are listening to customer needs.
The Lil Snoozy is a fantastic design at a great price and USA.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Here's ColoRockiesFan Snoozy for sale.
Lisa has lowered her price.

Topic: Selling my Lil Snoozy $18,500 OBO

There are pictures linked to the site.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #18

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Steve: We can sympathize since we are in the same position but, we have owned 8 RVs (4 pop-ups, 1 - 5th wheel, 1 - micro-mini, 1 - Class C and a 24' travel trailer) and know what issues are involved. Yes, we are tempted to just buy the stick and even picked up a new pop-up last summer but knew that we could sell it easily when we decide/find the fiberglass unit of our dreams. I am not sure what manufacturers you are looking at but if you'll let me know, I can tell you what experiences I have seen or heard about. Personally, I was very attracted to the Camplite but each hail storm that comes through changes my mind. Used is not such a bad idea as you might think with a trailer though. Water damage and offensive smells are the deal breakers for us on used. The only new units we bought were 2 of the pop-ups and the travel trailer with the rest being used, some very used. Have you noticed the prices on the used fiberglass units versus the stick units? So, I understand what you are going through and the above is the arguments that I give myself. I want something that will hold up and has good quality control so "stuff" isn't leaking and falling off from the get-go. Nothing can sour me quicker than something that has continual problems from the beginning. Good luck in your decision.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
Here's ColoRockiesFan Snoozy for sale.
Lisa has lowered her price.

Topic: Selling my Lil Snoozy $18,500 OBO

There are pictures linked to the site.
Interesting that she is selling it to buy an Escape which is what Steve wants
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Chuckle

I get a chuckle over all the trailer swapping. The magic of Fiberglass trailers is that they can virtually last forever. Ours is now 22 years old and works great.

Actually as far as I can tell just about any of the brands would meet our needs yet none of them appear to come in a condition that would meet our extended travel needs. All need some measure of additions, not for structural reasons, but rather for function and convenience whether you're a long range traveler or weekend camper.

Definitely some have bigger beds, or larger baths or bigger volume fridges. However, none of these items, at least for us, define the amount of time we spend on the road or the fun we have.

Of course one should buy the rig that most closely fits their needs and budget but the actual trailer you choose will never be perfect.

It's like the song "love the one you're with...."

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #21

Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
Hi Steve! We bought a 20 ft Jayco (2700 lbs) last summer. Love it! Still have the Perris Pacer and may move it to Kansas where I can go visit my sis and do my more "rustic" camping. The Jayco will be 40 miles north of me on a leased site on the Missouri River. I have best of both worlds and don't regret the stickie purchase.

I belong to the Jayco Owners Forum, nice people there, too! And just like anything--the new camper needs to be taken care of. I think people get in trouble when they buy one, stick on a storage lot, and don't remember to check the seals, etc, regularly.

Don't regret either purchase!

Vickie
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #22

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Steve, It too do understand the dilemma you are experiencing. I had been looking at the lighter stick builts and was thinking of going that way until I really looked into the moulded fiberglass trailers, and once I really compared all the benefits, I knew that the moulded one was the way I would want to go.

One thing to consider is that in 20 years the Escape 19 is going to likely be worth at least $15k (maybe more), whereas the stick built might get you $1k in salvaged parts. Plus there is the ease of pulling, the water tightness, and many other pluses. The purchase price is not the only thing to look at if you intend to keep it for a while.

My Escape 19 came in way under what you are looking at. Granted, I got in on the introductory offer which saved a bit, but I also never bought in to all the options they offer. No A/C until I will really need it. I camp for 5 days at a time in the cold and have never needed solar as the batteries held up fine, I never got the storage box, and for now have more room then I would ever need for gear between the trailer and the tow (only two of us and our dog though). There are a few options that are wise to get if you think you would ever need them, as they are not easy to add after the fact.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #23

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
What's the list of options you're looking for Steve? Are they things ordinarily offered by Scamp, or more in the "custom" line?

I ask because plugging in factory options is simpler than redesigning for custom-type requests...

FYI:

If I was in the market for a new trailer, I'd be looking hard at the all-aluminum Camplite!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #24

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Buy the sticky and let us know how it works out.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #25

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
Steve, I'm guessing that this is a terrible time to be buying a trailer from a small manufacturer. Everybody has seen the first robin in their yard and it suddenly dawns on them that it's spring and they want to buy a trailer. The builders, who probably up until now have had some time on their hands, suddenly are pressed to deliver everybody's order yesterday if not sooner.

All I can say is don't rush into anything. I've looked inside a Jayco and it's put together with lumber that would be pressed to support a dollhouse. A well-constructed fiberglass trailer will someday make a great gift for the grand kids.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
My 1978 Trillium 4500 was badly neglected for years. The collection of bugs was amazing. After a few hours of my oldest teenagers time, and Sunlight dish soap, it was ready to camp in. Not bad for a 35 year old trailer. The longevity of these trailers is amazing.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #27

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Interesting that she is selling it to buy an Escape which is what Steve wants
What would be really hilarious is if I could buy a 19' Escape from someone who wants to buy my Snoozy ...

Any takers?
Old 04-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #28

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRockiesFan View Post
What would be really hilarious is if I could buy a 19' Escape from someone who wants to buy my Snoozy ...

Any takers?
I would be extremely surprised if you got a taker, but you never know.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote