Going to the other side - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #101

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think some of the Bigfoots models are great. As far as cream always rises to the top.... THIT floats too Often folks are sucked in by bling when comparing trailers. It really is about "personal" functionality and needs.
I was always told it rolls down hill.

But from a scientific way, if it floats, it proves you have enough fiber.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #102

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I gotta get my digital camera fixed...

There's a 32 foot 1952 "Angeles" trailer on my property- wood framed aluminum, all birch interior. We've slapped aluminum roofing compound on it once in the fifteen years its been there, and believe you me it didn't get any better care in its first forty-five years. It doesn't leak, nor does our 1956 Shasta also stored outside.

That whole "nothing will last except fiberglass" thing is a myth!

My advice to O.P. Steve is to do his homework re. the different brands of stick-built trailers...some are better built than others, and there are many that will serve his needs nicely.

If you're listening, Steve, my opinion is that the aluminum clad units may be the better choice if potential for delamination is a concern for you...on the other hand, if you live in big-hailstone country composite siding may be the better choice.

Unless of course you want to name your (aluminum) trailer "Dimples"!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #103

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
"That whole "nothing will last except fiberglass" thing is a myth!"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think that anyone is saying that at all. Airstream, Argosy and Silver Streak trailers, along with a lot of early"Canned Ham" trailers are proof of that.

It's the aluminum/fiberglass sheeting over 1x2 construction that is the true sticky.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Toyota motorhome groups where both construction types are present in the same sizes and on the same chassis, there is no question whatsoever that the stick-built units are by far more prone to structural damage from water leaks than the molded fiberglass constructs.

In comparing similar aged trailers, sticky vs. MF, you will find the same ratios.

Again, look around, they were building lots of sticky travel trailers and slide-in campers built in the 70's & 80's yet, unlike molded fiberglass rigs from the same time period, few seem to have survived.

And of course, there are always exceptions.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #104

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Escape with options= $29330.00 NEVER GOT A PRICE FROM SCAMP
SIX WEEKS AND STILL WAITING
I have never had that issue with Scamp. Try calling again perhaps.
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #105

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Stick built trailers that saw little travelling did last fairly good. I had one that in over 10 years only went on two short road trips. The first owner did one holiday with it and sold it, and the people that bought if from him had it sitting in an RV campground for 3 years before I bought it. The nubbies were still on the tires.

This trailer served me well, got tons of use as a cabin on our rec land, and actually was it great shape for its age when I sold it. Similar trailer of the same make and age were mostly in WAY worse shape. That type of construction does not handle the stresses of being towed all over the place as much. They seem to "loosen" up a bit under the effects of bumps and wind way more than a moulded fiberglass one would.

I really can't speak for the newer sandwich panel type trailers, and how long they will last. I really have no experience with them. It does seem like a much better way of building them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #106

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
We would rather buy fiberglass but we can buy a stick built with twice the features for half the cost. We do not want to but we are forced to go to the other side.
Actually, you are making a wise decision to satisfy your desires. That's all this is about. NO specific brand or construction method is inherently good nor inherently bad. That's what compromise is all about. When did that get to be such a dirty word? If you cannot compromise then you cannot get anything done. There are current event examples of that truth that will remain nameless here. There are valued members here who have traveled a path similar to yours. They are deciding what is best for them at the moment they have to make that decision. No shame in that.
Quote:
I am just trying to vent my frustration with businesses who could care less about their customers Must be nice to be able to turn away business in a bad economy
There is an old chestnut that says something like You know that cable TV show, "Undercover Boss"? I think they need to make a show called, "Undercover Customer." I used to disparage our Sales Department at work. You know what? I took an opportunity to observe what they have to put up with. I could not do that job. Some uninformed expectations need to be turned away, and they care deeply about being forced to do that.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:26 PM   #107

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Francesca has it right about weather concerns! Thinking winter HAD to be nearing the end---we uncovered the stickie last weekend. Guess what Omaha got last week?!? HAIL AND SNOW. Guess what we were greeted with yesterday?! "Dimples"----kinda fits---camper is named "19th Hole" and now it looks like a golf ball!

But you know what? I'm still happy---poop happens---and when you're nearing 61 it's a blessing to awaken every morning! Not sweating the little stuff----
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #108

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I really can't speak for the newer sandwich panel type trailers, and how long they will last. I really have no experience with them. It does seem like a much better way of building them.
My sister-in-law bought one of those. I toured her brand new trailer and was impressed that the particle board cupboard doors already appeared to be falling off the hinges. She got a great deal, since it had been sitting at the dealership for three years before selling.
She's since moved up to a tent trailer.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #109

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie B. View Post
But you know what? I'm still happy---poop happens---and when you're nearing 61 it's a blessing to awaken every morning! Not sweating the little stuff----
That's the attitude!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:30 PM   #110

Registry
Badges of honor, that's what your trailer's new dimples are, Vickie! As long as the stones didn't get through to the inside, who cares?

Side note:
I'm the same age as that 1952 trailer I spoke about earlier and wish I looked as good as it does...

Francesca, aging faster than a "stickie"...
Old 04-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #111

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I think this puppy has your name on it, Mike!

Francesca
I like this one better....
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eye of the Storm- Pensacola.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	57574

We are still in a stick built home, but starting to be at the point financially where we might do something else. Ok, not this big and fancy, but something safe and reasonably nice looking. Maybe a smaller version of this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	medium_tassell_dome_stoned.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	57575
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #112

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I see this way, once I went for a job interview and the interviewer said, "So, tell me what makes you the best candidate for this job?" I told him, "I have no idea if I am the best candidate since I do not know the other interviewers and what experience and other qualifications they have." I can tell a lot of insults to the stickies are being done by people that really don't know that side. I love everything RV and I can appreciate all units for their positives. I got all the books, magazines and visited all the websites. I know what value RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs has - zero to me. Attacking the stickies with a vengeance comes across as rather "cult-like". OP was just stating what a lot of others run into. Not everyone can take off and drive to the manufacturer or do without certain options, etc. Not everyone buys the most expensive for the impression that it will make. The OP is reasonably frustrated and surely has a right to his opinion of customer service and price/value, a right to whatever options he needs/wants without being considered a snob or out to impress someone.

Note: Camplite says that when their units get hail-damaged that they just put a new aluminum panel over the damaged one. I haven't decided what I think of that yet.

Also, you can catch the youtube of that 1989 Taylor Coach. I have actually been in and saw several units from the 70's and 80's at the larger RV dealers and was very impressed by the condition. You see, in that time period, everything was made more solid and there was pride in workmanship. I have been wondering what the units being made right now will be like in 30 years and I'm guessing, it won't be the same as those made 30 years ago. So, that's my thoughts.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #113

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Attacking the stickies with a vengeance comes across as rather "cult-like".
You said it, Sister!

Side note:
I so far object to that attitude that I refrain from using pejoratives like "SOB" and also "sticky" when referring to types other than molded fiberglass... I presume your use in this thread is only for purposes of illustration!

Francesca
Old 04-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #114

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Attacking the stickies with a vengeance comes across as rather "cult-like". OP was just stating what a lot of others run into. Not everyone can take off and drive to the manufacturer or do without certain options, etc. Not everyone buys the most expensive for the impression that it will make. The OP is reasonably frustrated and surely has a right to his opinion of customer service and price/value, a right to whatever options he needs/wants without being considered a snob or out to impress someone.
Fiberglass trailer owners behaving cult like with their own forum and rallies???? Gezz where have we heard or that before.

The good news is that historically this cult does allow its members to wander off and explore "The Dark Side" and we still love them and let them visit here as long as they want. Some here have gone to the "Dark Side" several times but have remained tied to this cult and some have even remained on in leadership roles. Havent seen anyone ever suggest the party who has gone to the "Dark Side" was being snobbish. I can say with honesty that I dont think anyone here thinks any less of those that go to the "Dark Side" and will continue to welcome Steve's participation in our little cult just as those that have gone before him have continued to be a part of the cult. Once a member of this cult always a member it seems.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #115

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Havent seen anyone ever suggest the party who has gone to the "Dark Side" was being snobbish.

That's easy to explain, Carol: We're too stuck up about the superiority of Our Trailers to think anyone else has something to be a snob about!

Francesca
Old 04-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #116

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I frequently use SOB when describing something other than all molded, because of several members I personally know... that have gone to the dark side say it! I figure if they can say it about their own trailer, so can I

Who am I to argue with them
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #117

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
All I can say is I for one have always been on the "Dark Side"ever since I joined this group.{ Francesca,that is why I have never been sighted....because I am not really real } When I joined this forum it was because we were doing research before getting a molded fiberglass RV. At the time we were looking for something to rebuild/restore as a hobby & to then camp in.It did not take long for me to be HOOKED on this sight and ALL the wonderful Friendly people here. I have been a member Many Years(since 2004,I think) We never bought MFGRV because after spend a day & night in his brothers Casita ,he discovered his claustrophobia would not allow him to enjoy it at all! We have both learned many things from this sight,he does lots of woodwork & builds lots of furniture. We have used lots of the ideas for remodel projects in our stickie built camper. Yes,we have had to make some adjustments to things we have used,but so what.WE have learned lots about camping,campers solar power, full timing, just to name a few. I add things when I can or think it might help,I post jokes and try my best to be as good a friend to all as ALL of you have been to me.

I don't post pictures of my camper or the mods that we do out of Respect for my friends I have made here and because this is a molded fiberglass forum. Yes from time to time I give all of you a hard time( but only in good fun) Oh my camper's name is Koala(,because she is small,lightweight and loveable) I /we will always want a molded fiberglas...but we want to be able to enjoy camping and staying in it for long trips & time we know we could not do that so we have to stay on the"Dark Side" and Still feel loved and welcomee in this group.
So Thanks to listening to me and whatever you do ...do it because it is what is right for you!
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #118

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Thanks for "staying" Lynn and being so loving.
Camping is what it is about.

I'll not mention a brand, but I looked at one and that was my comment when I got home.
I felt like I just went into a cave. So there are many reasons for what we do.

The brotherhood is the camping, not the brand. lol.

I felt uplifted from your post. Thank you.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #119

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Lynn, Have you looked a Bigfoot? Kinda the best of both worlds.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:18 PM   #120

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I figure if they can say it about their own trailer, so can I

Who am I to argue with them
LOL sometimes they even call them other things we can say here.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote