Going to the other side - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #141

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
On the other hand, one can't help but notice that you, Francesca, seize every opportunity to take a jab at Escape.
Whew, I thought maybe it was only me that thought that.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #142

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I believe Steve actually indicated that he thinks the unit "with extras" overpriced (an assessment with which I agree).

I though it indelicate to to point this out when I simply said Steve "doesn't want an Escape"...but since you evidently think my original assertion in error I feel the need to clarify.

And on the subject of Good Manners (not to mention reality checks)

In my opinion, the notion that the only folks that don't have an Escape are those too poor/cheap to buy one really should be confined to the Boosters section of The Escape Owner's Forum !

Francesca
Seriously were do you see anyone suggesting any such thing? I think your reading way more into this than reality.

My point was that just because a party doesnt buy something it doesnt mean that someone "doesn't want it" as you had suggested. Especially when the party indicates they actually do like a particular product. Its that simple.

Reasons for buying something other than what we may wanted can be many and they all form part of decision making process that all of us have to go through. Yes money often forms a big part of the decision making process but there is nothing "boosters" or snobbish as you have suggested previously about it. The world would be a wonderful place if we could all go out and buy whatever the heck we really wanted - sadly for most of us thats just not the reality & like the OP we need to take all our needs and priorities into consideration. For those who are able to purchase what ever trailer they want I think thats great and don't see anything about their sharing it with us as booster or being snobbish.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #143

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
On the other hand, one can't help but notice that you, Francesca, seize every opportunity to take a jab at Escape.

If by that you mean that I feel as free as anyone to express my opinion as to the different brands, I suppose you're right. Is that wrong, in your opinion? I ask because I see little difference between that and the strangely relentless Brand Boosterism expressed by others here.

And I'd point out that I'm evidently not the only person who's observed this phenomenon as it relates to this one brand, which is noticeable enough to lead at least one Member to post a current thread on the subject: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ape-57653.html

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #144

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Trailer-RV classification?

I think some of us, including Francesca and myself, have a different method of classifying RVs than the norm on this site of molded fiberglass vs stickies. For lack of better terminology my mind says Basic and Pretentious. Trailers like Scamp, Boler, Uhaul, Burro, Casita, Trillium, and older small stick built trailer in 13' to 16' range, Soro Scotty, Itasca, etc. etc. add to that the popup trailers. Those I consider in the Basic category. Noting pretentious about any of these, but very basic minimum units. Then there's the Class A's, Class C's motor homes, the large 5th wheel trailers that take a class 5 or 6 truck to pull, all the way down to the Bigfoot, Escape, Parkliner, Egg Camper, Jayco, Toy haulers. Are all in pretentious category.
pre·ten·tious (pr-tnshs)adj.1. Claiming or demanding a position of distinction or merit, especially when unjustified.
2. Making or marked by an extravagant outward show; ostentatious. See Synonyms at showy.

I think some of the resentment comes from the changes in the attitudes of most of the people here. When I first joined this group back 2005 most the trailers talked about were of the basic type. Lately it's become more of an Escape site and other trailers of that ilk. There is still some discussions about the small basic trailers, but it seems the bigger trailers are more the norm now.

Let the flames fly.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #145

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Could it simple be due to Escapes popularity they are quickly starting to out number those who some might suggest are equally as strangely relentless with their own prefered brand of trailer?

Could it also be the party that started the thread "I just have to ask why Escape" might actually be interested in the actual answers to that question as they are in the process of shopping for a trailer & not asking because they think it "strangely relentless" ?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #146

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Apple pie, sliced white bread, and pi$$ing contests are the stuff of life. Let's all relax since we basically know what's going on here from BOTH perspectives. Nobody wins. Whether your trailer is a means to an end or an end in itself is irrelevant. Enjoy -- love the one you're with.

S.
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #147

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
I'll throw my two cents in here, even though, it's probably not even worth that much ! I came to this site and the airforums ( Airstream ) site at about the same time. I did so at about the same time I bought my "stickie" which is really aluminium studding. My mind is really not made up where I want to go in all this whole camping thing. I really like the looks and many of the features of the A/S and of several of the FG units, especially the Escape fifth wheel.
However, the clincher for me so far has been the fact that I yet to find a small trailer that I like, that does not have a slideout. For me, these shorter trailers "have to" have the slideout room to keep from being clautrophobic. So, in my case, I ended up with this 19' funfinder with slide to use while I decide what all I want to do with the whole concept of camping and traveling. One poster mentioned the idea that this whole thing is about "camping". To me that is not the case. In other words, there are times that I want to be away from home in my camper, but I do in fact want to spend a lot of time inside. Like right now, I sit here in the camper, it's 48 degrees and raining outside. I am enjoying that I have room to stretch out, I have the extra room of the slideout, the 32" television is hooked to cable, and life is good.
I may, in time, decide to go fora FG......or an A/S.....but for now, my inexpensive "sticky" makes me happy. I really don't give a fat rat's behind whether this thing lasts 20 years......at my age, it's highly unlikely that "I" will last 20 more years ! And I don't care if I leave it to my kids or grandkids. They can buy their own camper if they want it !
So, to the OP.... I would say, go do some shopping for some SOB's, you just might find one that you really love, and it's pretty darned easy to get one for under US$15K. If you maintain it well, you can still get pretty good money out of it used in 4 or 5 years if it turns out you don't like it.
So there you have it....that's my take on it.

george
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #148
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
In a way all this banter is just human nature. Lets face it, any trailer gets us out camping and each has their own relative merits and issues.

Being a member for only about a year, I do notice a lot of Escape boosterism from a relatively small number of very proliific posters. But hey, the Escapes are newer and relatively expensive units, and its nice to see folks proud of their purchases. I see the same thing from the new Snoozy and Parkliner owners - there are not that many of them out there, but the volume of posts generated by their owners and prospective owners make the Escape boosting posts seem almost rare in comparison.

Its all just human nature - everyone is proud of their purchase and the owners of these newer units have spent a whole lot on a brand spanking new unit and just like the rest of us, like to show it off a bit and promote their choice.

To Byron's point - things have perhaps changed a lot on this site over the years - I agree that the availability of different types of new trailers from different manufacturers probably has a lot to do with it. I also agree that size has a lot to do with it, and the coming of the new 21' Escape will make the divide even bigger. Other than the fact that the shell is molded fiberglass, what does a RAV 4 towed 13' Boler have in common with a V8 diesel pickup towed 21' Escape? With Bigfoot and its larger units and Oliver with its 22' unit coming back, it will be interesting to see how the site adapts to these changing extremes.
GPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:07 PM   #149

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Some of you are swinging the outhouse door pretty wide. Careful it don't come back and hit you in the fundaments as that appears to be the current location of your heads. Go camping or something.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #150

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner (now 2010 R-pod)
Ontario
Here's my two cents. Having owned a Trillium 4500 and now a stick built - how about a 30 foot fibreglass trailer. You get the space of a stick built and the benefits of fibreglass.
Cheers,
Phil
Attached Thumbnails
177.jpg   170.jpg  

175.jpg  
Old 04-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #151

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
In a way all this banter is just human nature. Lets face it, any trailer gets us out camping and each has their own relative merits and issues.

Being a member for only about a year, I do notice a lot of Escape boosterism from a relatively small number of very proliific posters. But hey, the Escapes are newer and relatively expensive units, and its nice to see folks proud of their purchases. I see the same thing from the new Snoozy and Parkliner owners - there are not that many of them out there, but the volume of posts generated by their owners and prospective owners make the Escape boosting posts seem almost rare in comparison.

Its all just human nature - everyone is proud of their purchase and the owners of these newer units have spent a whole lot on a brand spanking new unit and just like the rest of us, like to show it off a bit and promote their choice.

To Byron's point - things have perhaps changed a lot on this site over the years - I agree that the availability of different types of new trailers from different manufacturers probably has a lot to do with it. I also agree that size has a lot to do with it, and the coming of the new 21' Escape will make the divide even bigger. Other than the fact that the shell is molded fiberglass, what does a RAV 4 towed 13' Boler have in common with a V8 diesel pickup towed 21' Escape? With Bigfoot and its larger units and Oliver with its 22' unit coming back, it will be interesting to see how the site adapts to these changing extremes.
I think there's common ground for many things associated with RVs. Anne and I spend our winters in the sunny south with many other snow birders. The common ground is we're in the south and generally live in the north. It doesn't matter whether in a tent or 45' motor home towing a Cadalic we're all there to get into the sun. This kind of makes belong to one brotherhood.

Here there several factions under the same umbrella, molded fiberglass. Several things have changed in the past 7 years. The size of the trailer is only an indicator of the change. In the early years most of us came into the trailer group via camping in tents, some even little tiny backpacking tents (we're one of the latter). Our primary focus was camping and getting out into the out of doors. Today many are coming into the trailer (RV) world with the benefit of actually camping in a tent, this changes the outlook and what becomes important to the RVer. This isn't necessarily a bad thing only different. Campers (people who camp) can enjoy watching the water roll over rocks why camped by stream side, watch the quail running around or the cactus grow and marvel at the wonders of nature. RVers (for lack of a better term) often wish to simply get away from the pressures of home. The things become important are Microwave ovens, Television, a place inside where they can prop their feel up in a recliner. Sometimes they're even afraid of the out doors. Dark is bad a thing to them, hence they leave the porch light on all night or have solar light around their trailer, lights hanging from their awning, etc. etc. Again this isn't necessarily a bad thing.
There are problems with intermixing the two at times. In National Parks and National Forests the later group wants to run a generator to keep their air conditioner running. The former group wants to sit outside and enjoy the sounds of nature not the sounds of generators.
The former group thinks less is more. The later group thinks bigger is better.
On a site like this, which is all inclusive in many ways, there will certainly be different view points, likes and such. The problems occur when one group starts pushing hard on one brand or type of trailer. Earlier the brand was Casita, today it's Escape and for the same reasons. The perceived pleasure value by the owners or wannbe owners.

Stepping down from my soap box.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #152

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil 4500 View Post
Here's my two cents. Having owned a Trillium 4500 and now a stick built - how about a 30 foot fibreglass trailer. You get the space of a stick built and the benefits of fibreglass.
Cheers,
Phil
Is that trailer for sale somewhere? It looks a lot like member "Terry"'s Vista that we heard about in this thread early this year...:

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #153

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Having gone to the dark side (other side) and returned twice I'd like to add my perspective. Camping and rving is a personal adventure. We buy our setup and camp with it. We then see others in the camp sites and see what they are camping with. We also attend meets and take tours of other units. Why do we do this?
I started a thread here http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...our-55655.html
last year in the hopes of explaining why my avatar keeps changing. Each trailer had it's good and bad points. You live with it or you don't. I do not see any validity in several responses here other than an opinion, owning 7 different trailers in 4 years has given me a perspective that many of us may not have been exposed to.
Escape owners are not an elitist group as some here portray them to be. IMHO that title belongs to Airstream owners who somehow put their pants on differently than anyone else. Maybe having said that I will now step down.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #154

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Thanks for the link Jim, I really enjoyed your story.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #155

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Stepping down from my soap box.
Yeah,....umm....I'm purdy sure that one is mine.

And everyone knows that Trilliums are the best!

TRILLIUMS ROCK!

Back to your regularly scheduled program, (ducks to avoid the flying fertilizer)
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #156

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
In my opinion, the notion that the only folks that don't have an Escape are those too poor/cheap to buy one really should be confined to the Boosters section of The Escape Owner's Forum !
While I don't see any reason to discourage anyone's enthusiasm for their favourite brand (or size, or type, or colour...) of trailer, I agree that this does not mean that criticising the choices of others, on any basis, should be accepted. Disagree, state your reasons for your different choice... but "you're wrong" does not belong in a discussion of preferences.

This, by the way, applies to everyone, not just Escape boosters.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:39 PM   #157

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlkeigley View Post
A "stick" Escape?

KZ Recreational Vehicles: Spree® Escape Travel Trailers

P.S. - No insult intended..........
None taken! (said the owner of such a one)

I'm totally surprised to hear that someone views Eggcamper as a 'pretentious' brand. I never would have thought that. Eggcampers seem pretty middle-of-the-egg-road to me, sorta like a Dodge to the Fords & Chevys (Scamps & Casitas).

Even Escape, I doubt the mfr or the owners are trying to be pretentious. Owners are just proud of and excited about what they have, and the mfr is doing what they can to differentiate their product somwhat in order to fill a niche, to meet demand.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #158

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I think some of us, including Francesca and myself, have a different method of classifying RVs than the norm on this site of molded fiberglass vs stickies. For lack of better terminology my mind says Basic and Pretentious. Trailers like Scamp, Boler, Uhaul, Burro, Casita, Trillium, and older small stick built trailer in 13' to 16' range, Soro Scotty, Itasca, etc. etc. add to that the popup trailers. Those I consider in the Basic category. Noting pretentious about any of these, but very basic minimum units. Then there's the Class A's, Class C's motor homes, the large 5th wheel trailers that take a class 5 or 6 truck to pull, all the way down to the Bigfoot, Escape, Parkliner, Egg Camper, Jayco, Toy haulers. Are all in pretentious category.

Let the flames fly.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to label as "pretentious" (by either of the above definitions) every single person who buys a Class A or Class C motorhome - no matter how inexpensive or basic - seems absolutely ridiculous to me. I doubt many people going down the highway in a basic class C think they are in a position of distinction or merit, and those crude boxes and the cheapest possible chassis are certainly not outwardly (or inwardly) extravagant!

Consider two sample RVs:
  1. A Scamp with air conditioning, microwave, TV mounted to the wall, generator on the tongue, solar panel on the roof, towed by an AWD SUV with low-profile tires and every toy on the option list
  2. A Class C with none of the features listed for the above Scamp; the owner commutes to work in a old Chevy Cavalier and owns nothing that can tow any egg, so he bought an RV with its own engine.
Which one is pretentious? Is it possible that such a characterization - if you find a need to make it - is not possible based solely on brand, or RV type?

Jayco, by the way, is a budget brand. It may be the right choice for you, but you're not going to impress most other RV owners with your wealth or superiority by choosing it (although apparently Byron will think you are pretentious, if you care).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #159

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
ROFLMAO! Yep, definitely don't think I'm impressing anybody with my 20 ft Jayco (17' x 6' interior). Especially with the hail dents all over the front from last week! We wanted something a bit roomier for my hubby to sit in when he has to work and for me to maneuver my fat arse in!

I don't think my 2004 Honda Element or low-maintenance tract house is too impressive either.

I do echo one poster who said I probably won't be here in 20 years and I'm sure not leaving a heir a camper!

It is what it is--
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #160

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Love the one you're with!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote