Going to the other side - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #161

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Absolutely correct on love the one you're with.

Life can be wonderful when you love what you have. Not to say you can't strive for more but you should find joy where you are.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #162

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD
Duluth,Minnesota
Well my Casita's not perfect either but it sure beats sleeping on the ground in a tent like I did for most of my life! What with hard sides all around me, a refrigerator, comfortable bed and a bathroom sometimes it seems downright luxurious. Main thing is I had to be able to tow it with my 6cyl SUV so bigger and better aren't even an option for me. Happy with what I have but still like reading about what everyone else has and why they chose it. Wish the OP Good Luck with whatever he chooses and hope to read about it on this forum!
Randy Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #163

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Escape owners are not an elitist group as some here portray them to be. IMHO that title belongs to Airstream owners who somehow put their pants on differently than anyone else.
I haven't noticed much difference between Airstream owners and Escape owners.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #164

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I haven't noticed much difference between Airstream owners and Escape owners.
Yeah, same with Ford and Chevy owners, they are all alike too.

There is no way of labeling owners of any trailers, as in any group there is a HUGE variety of attitudes with owners.

Just pop over to the Escape forum and read stuff there.

Or look at those who take excessive (and well earned) pride in owning and remodeling a more inexpensive trailer. Heck, I would just love to do that if I had the time, but instead am busy at work earning the money I used to pay for my Escape instead.

I do truly believe that in most cases that any moulded fiberglass trailer has better inherent qualities than most stick built. I also believe in the "love the trailer you're with" attitude too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #165

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I'm just glad to have a trailer.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #166

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hagen
Well my Casita's not perfect either but it sure beats sleeping on the ground in a tent like I did for most of my life! What with hard sides all around me, a refrigerator, comfortable bed and a bathroom sometimes it seems downright luxurious. Main thing is I had to be able to tow it with my 6cyl SUV so bigger and better aren't even an option for me. Happy with what I have but still like reading about what everyone else has and why they chose it. Wish the OP Good Luck with whatever he chooses and hope to read about it on this forum!
A very good place to leave it, folks.

Jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #167

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
One of my best friends owns a Trillium.

'Tis true. He knew I was looking for a used egg and bought the thing out from under me.

For all that, we don't spend our time taking shots at one another. Not sure why this list spends so much time trying to best one another, because it just brings out the worst.

baglo
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #168

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Some people are just so funny...

We aren't all the same, we all have our own individual needs and wants (and if your part of a couple or family it makes it even more complex). If one persons idea of camping is a huge trailer or motor home with a million slideouts and a basement then rock on... if someone else has a trailer that is just a hard sided tent with no amenities then good for you!

My home built gypsy caravan had a vented propane heater and a marine deep cycle battery that powered two 12 volt lights and a socket for a fan and to charge my phone. I towed it 3900 miles last year and had an awesome time with it with no regrets.

When I started thinking about being able to stand up would be a good thing and put it up for sale I was looking at cheap older scamp 13's and uhaul and burro's...I figured a porta potty in a cabinet is a step up from what I had and would increase the fun factor alot. Hurracane Sandy worked in my favour and let me purchase something new or like new and I jumped on it. Ive restored boats and knew I could redo a scamp to make it like new but decided to just for once not buy a project (granted a new one is a project in a way too lol... )

If the Op feels that they want a stick built trailer then go for it. Its your money buy what works best for your needs. Some of my friends asked why I bought something so small? The ParkLiner suits my needs right now... maybe down the road when retirement gets real close I might want 3 more feet of length to have a bigger galley because if I live in it for a while I might want a few things that I don't really need right now. When I installed the first stove with an oven in my boat I was so happy to be able to bake a chicken or make muffins or what ever.

And the forums will change, from some older posts I read it seemed more common that older people bought fiberglass trailers... well there seems to be alot more younger folks buying them now for a variety of reasons. So pretensious or not... do what makes you happy!

and a side note, their is some degree of eliteness that goes on here... that theirs is the best brand blah blah blah... and honestly I havent heard anywhere near as many escape owners saying it as trillium (cough cough Franchesca ) lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #169

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
A very good place to leave it, folks.

Jack
LOL Jack that may be wishful thinking on your part. Wait until you hear how the OP's story ends & why! Its going to start a whole new conspiracy theory. Just not sure the OP has the heart to publically announce it and cause more pain to the moderators!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #170

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
This may be off topic, but this is my own personal pattern.
Starting young, anything I did was bigger and better than needed.
Still wasn't much, but I did the max with what I had.
Started out with a 350 Honda Scrambler motorcycle and last bike
was a 1100 Yamaha. Biggest bike on the market at the time.
Now the 1100 is a small bike.

As I searched what would be the best for me in camping trailers,
I added up a thousand variables. For me now, less is more. I've
never been a camper. I haven't missed anything as I didn't care for
that life style at that time. But now I have nothing but time on my
hands.

I have always wanted to visit the unique places around the United States.
One place I've googled, the road is so tight with many sharp turns I think
a person may even have to unhook from any trailer and carefully drive
between the boulders to see the sites.

One of the Arkansas State Parks is pretty hairy to get to. Even the website tells trailers a certain length to take an alternate route to the park. The corners are like turning around the edge of a quarter.

Since I've never actually been camping, never had a camper, I wanted something that could go wherever my tow could go. And since {money is no object} did NOT apply to me, I wanted the most [for me] with the least with an affordable price tag for me. If we didn't have a special needs daughter that will always be with us, I would have bought the best Tear Drop I could find for the money. But since three occupants is not practical in a tear drop, I found a stand up trailer with amenities and the space needed for three for the same money.

I started out comparing and comparing and comparing and comparing and comparing,
well, you get the idea............lol.

What I have now [which I'm just glad to have] IS the best {for me at this time}. I bought it assuming I may move up or even move down, or move out. Health, money, circumstances determines what we all do. I had the hots for every make out there. Talk about a 'roving eye', I moved from the brands I can't even remember and the last few were Casita because it was closest, then Scamp because I like the fiver, then Park Liner because they had multiple sleeping choices. Then I saw the Snoozy and it just fit me at this time. A queen bed that sleeps better than those in motels and a bed just the right size for our short daughter. And a toilet on wheels? woohoo......A bed and toilet in the same unit. Can't get any fancier than that. Still having trouble with the tree leaves clogging up the tank. lol.

So much for rambling. I'm just glad I found this web site and all the fantastic wealth of knowledge everyone brings to it. And the make overs and rebuilds. Fantastic.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #171

Delaware
Ooh, I luv a mystery, Carol.

jack
Old 04-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #172

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Yeah,....umm....I'm purdy sure that one is mine.

And everyone knows that Trilliums are the best!

TRILLIUMS ROCK!

Back to your regularly scheduled program, (ducks to avoid the flying fertilizer)
RIGHTEOUS!

TRILLIUMS ROCK!

Spanke
Old 04-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #173

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Ooh, I luv a mystery, Carol.

jack
The mystery here is:

Why the "I know something you don't know!" post?

No need to be coy...if there's something to be told, tell it, and if it was said to one in confidence, mysteriously hinting at its existence is the same thing as breaching that trust.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #174

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
and a side note, their is some degree of eliteness that goes on here... that theirs is the best brand blah blah blah... and honestly I havent heard anywhere near as many escape owners saying it as trillium (cough cough Franchesca ) lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanke View Post
RIGHTEOUS!

TRILLIUMS ROCK!

Spanke
Not just Francesca!

OK, I like Escapes as well, but where do I find a nice one for $2000?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #175

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I don't mind being talked about, Fellas, but please- how 'bout spelling my name right????

There's no "H" in "Francesca".

Per my admiration for Trilliums:

It's honestly arrived at, and based in no small part on the number of folks who've "borrowed" from the design. (At least on the outside).

What greater proof of Wide Acceptance of its superiority can there be than that?

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #176

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Per my admiration for Trilliums:

It's honestly arrived at, and based in no small part on the number of folks who've "borrowed" from the design. (At least on the outside).

What greater proof of Wide Acceptance of its superiority can there be than that?

Francesca
Could it be they just needed a bit of improvement?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #177

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I know some of the previous post contained humor and hopefully were not meant to offend.

In reality we have so much in common that binds us that merely the choice of brand is not an issue.

Big or small, costly or inexpensive, new or old what really counts is towing that trailer to 'your' new or old place, near or far, and enjoying the life made possible by 'your' fiberglass trailer.

No matter the brand, no matter the size, no matter the cost, the 'others' will look with envy at your snug fiberglass home.

Enjoy what you have, it is the path to happiness.

P.S. Not pointing at anyone, but referencing our commonness.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #178

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Well, hopefully no offence was taken. Wouldn't be the first time I crossed the line. I really do like Escapes. Since every trailer is a compromise to some degree, even Trilliums could use a bit of improvement.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #179

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Just bought I would update everyone about "Mine is better than yours" attitude some are propagating here. We are presently in Townsend, Tn rally and there are 4 Oliver's here, 2 x 17' models and 2 of the only 3 dual axle 22' models ever made, all lined up in a row here. Mr. Oliver himself is here and there are lines forming. I think this is a "test" run for Oliver to ramp up interest and see the results. I'll get some pictures and post them upon return.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #180

Delaware
Lot of hypotheticals there, Francesca. My suggestion would be to ask Carol H. what this is about.

jack