Golden Age Passports (Age 62 and up) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2017, 06:53 PM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Golden Age Passports (Age 62 and up)

From an email I got from Liberty Outdoors (Parkliner)

Golden Age Passport: National Parks Pass Price Increasing on August 28th
Do you have your Golden Age Passport? It's the best deal in the outdoors world and if you are 62 and don't have it yet, you'd better hurry as the price is going up.

The Golden Age Passport is a lifetime entrance pass that allows persons, age 62 and older, to visit U.S. National Parks, monuments, historic sites, recreation areas and national wildlife refuges access without paying the customary entrance fee. It also provides a 50 percent discount on federal use fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, parking, boat launching and tours.

The Golden Age Passport admits the pass holder and any accompanying passengers in a private vehicle when a park has a per-vehicle entrance fee. Where a per-person entrance fee is charged, the Golden Age Passport admits the pass holder, spouse, and children. The passport is nontransferable and does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessioners.

It is only available to citizens or permanent residents of the United States who are at least 62 years of age. This lifetime pass has been available for a one-time fee of $10 and may be obtained at the entrance of most federally operated recreation areas, which charge an entrance fee. Persons must show proof of age.

The deal is about to end.

Starting Aug. 28, the price will go from the current $10 — when buying a pass at a park station or National Parks Service office — to $80.

At present, a pass costs $20 if ordered online or by mail. The new cost will be $90.
So if you are eligible and don't have one, better act fast!

https://store.usgs.gov/product/209290
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I will miss it by 11 months age wise. But even at $80 it's a great deal! Just visit one NP with camping and you have paid for it.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #3

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I agree Bill, $80 is still a great value, but it sure was great to get them for $20 for the both of us when we were in Yellowstone a week ago. I just found out about this when we were there, then got an email form the folks that now own Parkliner.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:50 PM   #4
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Like I said in an earlier post on this subject; You could be a pessimist and gripe about the $70 increase or an optimist and say the qualification age has moved out to 63 and they waived the $10![emoji3]
Since I can't do anything about it I choose to be happy...when I get there.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:00 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Is a senior pass the same? It says annual for it?
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:21 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
Is a senior pass the same? It says annual for it?
First the Golden Age Passport was changed about 11 years ago to the Interagency Senior Pass, same benefits, same $10 lifetime pass, different name.
The soon to be $80 fee is a lifetime pass.
You can get a Senior annual Pass for $20 a year, and with 4 passes you can get it converted to a "free" lifetime pass. I think the bill the Annual needed to be four consecutive passes, skip a year and you have to start over, but I'm not sure that's how it's been implemented.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:03 AM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
They do offer and "easy pay" plan for obtaining the new lifetime pass. For 4 years you purchase the option of the one year pass for $20.00. Be very sure you save those annual passes instead of throwing them away. Then for no additional cost you can turn them in and you will be issued the lifetime pass at no additional cost.

So basically if your budget says $80.00 is too much right now don't sweat it, the annual fees of $20.00 will not be "lost money".

Now I just need to find where the heck I put my Golden Age pass I bought a few years back. I think it might be in my glove box, guess I will take a look see this week.

But if I can't find it I guess that might mean a trip to downtown Seattle to one of the smallest National Parks in the country. The Gold Rush Museum which is actually a free to enter park. https://www.nps.gov/klse/index.htm

Or else in Seattle to purchase the senior pass I can also go to the REI information center at 222 Yale Ave. N
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:10 AM   #8

Name: Roger
Trailer: Escape
Colorado
So do I need a pass for me and one for my wife? Or is one pass for both of us?
Rog Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:23 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog Mich View Post
NO , you do not need to buy a pass for both you and your wife
There are several threads explaining the advantages of buying one for you and one for your wife.
At $10 each we each bought a pass .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:01 AM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog Mich View Post
At $10, I would spring for two of them. If you always travel together, you really only need one. If you travel separately, then having a second one would be advantageous.

I have bought one every year for the last 30 years or more. We only have bought one. Still the best bargain in the camping/outdoor market.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
At $10, I would spring for two of them. If you always travel together, you really only need one. If you travel separately, then having a second one would be advantageous.

I have bought one every year for the last 30 years or more. We only have bought one. Still the best bargain in the camping/outdoor market.
Since they often check the card against your ID, technically you can't use your partner's card to get into a park. Could be a problem when shopping, or other trips in & out of the park. Having one's own card makes sense, particularly at $10.00...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:42 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Since they often check the card against your ID, technically you can't use your partner's card to get into a park. Could be a problem when shopping, or other trips in & out of the park. Having one's own card makes sense, particularly at $10.00...
All the cards I have bought have room on the back for two signatures. Note, this is on annual passes.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
All the cards I have bought have room on the back for two signatures. Note, this is on annual passes.
Only one space on my Senior Pass. Maybe the new ones have 2...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #14

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
Senior Passes to National Parks

According to the government site, applying for a pass online not only adds a $10 service charge, but it may take 60-90 days to receive your card(s; we also decided to get one each). We found out last week that the local BLM area office in Yuma AZ also sells the passes, and it was a fast and easy process to go in them them on the spot; really nice people.

According to what we have heard, not all National Parks sell the passes on site. You might want to check out BLM in your area, if there are no National Parks nearby.

Josh
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #15

Registry
I just stopped and got mine...an access pass because I have a disability...it was free, but there was a wait if you wanted a golden pass...he said they only send around 30 at a time to him and the list for next weeks expected batch was at 28 already.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:03 AM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh and Sonya W View Post
According to the government site, applying for a pass online not only adds a $10 service charge, but it may take 60-90 days to receive your card(s; we also decided to get one each). We found out last week that the local BLM area office in Yuma AZ also sells the passes, and it was a fast and easy process to go in them them on the spot; really nice people.

According to what we have heard, not all National Parks sell the passes on site. You might want to check out BLM in your area, if there are no National Parks nearby.

Josh
I have found that National Forest Ranger Stations sell the passes. In fact I bought mine at a ranger station. My wife (which isn't needed but use it sometimes rather than mine) bought hers at Crater Lake National Park entrance booth.
Many federal locations will sell you one. Corps of Engineers in some locations. National Parks that charge an entrance fee, Blm Offices, and National Forests Ranger stations, I believe can also get them at TVA locations.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:04 PM   #17

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I got the Nat'l. ACCESS "Disability Pass." Cost $0.00
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:02 PM   #18

Name: Josh & Sonya
Trailer: '97 Casita SD 17; 03 Bigfoot 25RQ
Arizona
A lot of Senior Passes available at Yuma BLM office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
I just stopped and got mine...an access pass because I have a disability...it was free, but there was a wait if you wanted a golden pass...he said they only send around 30 at a time to him and the list for next weeks expected batch was at 28 already.
Hi Bruce,

Good that you pointed that out, the situation seems to differ at the various BLM field offices.

The BLM office in Yuma told us they had just received 400 passes (this was early this week), and encouraged us to spread the word. For anyone near the Yuma area, the BLM contact info is:

BLM Yuma Regional Field Office
7341 E 30th St
Yuma, AZ 85365
Phone: 928-317-3200
Josh and Sonya W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:32 PM   #19

Registry
Wow, that's a pile....I guess they know they're gonna get rushed before next month. The guy here said it's been busy.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:01 PM   #20

Name: Wanda
Trailer: Grand Reserve
Delaware
Can someone tell me why do Vandwellers, campers and people living in their car, all flock to AZ??
Happyasclams is offline   Reply With Quote