Good Sam - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-29-2006, 02:01 PM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
OK! How much is a zillion??
Its a Bizzilion divided by 10, or a Gizzilion divided by 100.

Old 03-29-2006, 02:06 PM   #16

West Coast USA
Registry
On the GS.. the road service, obviously, for all you get, does cost extra :-P I seem to recall 79 bucks, but I forget exactly.

The AAA items that Good Sam doesn't provide are the nifty travel store, and DMV services etc.

I do everything online with Ca. DMV, so I don't save any time there. Travel books, I get at ... the book store.

Old 03-29-2006, 02:43 PM   #17

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:

The park I stayed at was your basic cement lined, pull thru sort of RV park designed for the zillion dollar motorhomes.

I found it..... a zillion = 10^3000012
Old 03-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #18

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Now back to your scheduled topic.

Since I already have AAA my membership cost for Good Sams probably isn't worth what I paid for, but we'll see. The one thing it did was increase the number emails I get. I hope I have shut off most of them.

I think part of the value depends on which part of the country you're traveling in. I think the only Loves in Oregon sold to TA. There's not very many Sams RV parks in the PNW and most of the ones I've seen give AAA discounts.

If I don't change my roadside assistance carrier, I'll probably drop Good Sams next year.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:38 PM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
OK! How much is a zillion??
I talked with a motorhome salesman (but he calls them "coaches") who told me about one of his customers who was quoted Cdn$1.4 millon for a Prevost-based Marathon bus-style unit, but he "only" paid about Cdn$1.1 million. For me, either number is about a zillion.

I have a stack of discount cards, and get little value from them because they usually have a bunch of conditions, if I even remember to check (which card do I ask about at which store?). Personally, I don't feel a pressing need for another one.

I had a look at the information at Good Sam RV Club, which explains (as Gina mentioned) that the roadside assistance is available for purchase by Good Sam members, at a significant cost (roughly comparable to the AAA/CAA affiliated clubs such as the Alberta Motor Association). The $12 (or $19, or whatever) membership doesn't get you roadside service, just the chance to buy it. It may still be a great deal - I don't know. It reminds me of buying a Costco membership, to let me give them money for their products. I do it because of some specific items we regularly get there, but for the occasional shopper it wouldn't make sense.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 09:33 PM   #20

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
The AAA items that Good Sam doesn't provide are the nifty travel store, and DMV services etc.

I do everything online with Ca. DMV, so I don't save any time there. [b]Travel books, I get at ... the book store.
I have used AAA's DMV services quite extensively for transferring title when buying and selling used cars and RV's. Their personnel are cheerful, helpful, and quick. For me, that alone was worth the membership. AAA's customized "Trip-tics" have a lot of extra valueable information that I just cannot get online. I have yet to find a book store that gives out books and maps (lots of them) for "free" like AAA does. (I have not paid extra, beyond my membership, for trip-tics, books, or maps)
Old 03-29-2006, 10:42 PM   #21

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I have the Good Sam roadside assistance but never used it yet....the one thing that I don`t like about it is that it`ll cover all cars and trucks that my wife and I own but only one rv trailer....I have two , so if I alternate, I have to call Good Sam and change my registered trailer every time I take the other one out....that part doesn`t make sense to me, especially if I`m the only driver at home.....Benny
Old 03-30-2006, 12:42 AM   #22

Trailer: Casita Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa F
Quote:
Now back to your scheduled topic.

Since I already have AAA my membership cost for Good Sams probably isn't worth what I paid for, but we'll see. The one thing it did was increase the number emails I get. I hope I have shut off most of them.
I have a hotmail account that I use for everything except for friends/family.. that way all the spam goes there and my personal email gets none
Old 03-30-2006, 06:36 AM   #23

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
The towing insurance companies are obviously in business to make a profit. So in order to make a profit they must provide less in benefits than they take in. It's just that simple.

In all the hundreds of thousands of miles, I needed a tow only once. The fuel gage on the diesel Blazer was intermittent and I foolishly ran the tank dry. Cost me approx $100 to be towed to a service station a couple of miles off I-5 near Seattle. Took me all night on a charger to get the fuel system re-primed and the engine started.

Of all our friends that have towing insurance I know only one who actually gets his money's worth. He would do better to keep his vehicles in better shape. The cost of missed work, appointments, delays in his business, family schedules, etc., seems to me in far excess of the amount he saves with towing insurance.

But I like him very much and find people who think different than I and have other opinions interesting. They add a dimension to my life's experience that has many more plusses than minuses. I'm sure I would be an old stick in the mud if I limited my friends and acquaintences to those who tend to think exactly like I do.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:39 AM   #24

Name: Des and Diane (D & D)
Trailer: Boler 1300, 1977 (#2033, "L EGGO")
Ontario
Hi, our 87 cents worth.

That was our average "discount" on a tank of gas for the car. Good Sam is geared towards the bulgemobile.

However, the 10% off for a campground paid the membership in about 10 nights.

And, Good Sam RV Owners Club --- and Good Sam Emergency Road Service, are two separate companies.

Planning on staying closer to home this year, we dropped the former but kept the latter, which we perceive to be the best available value for RV road insurance.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:49 AM   #25

West Coast USA
Registry
It's not just towing. They get your keys out if you are a dope like me and occasionally lock then in, they bring you gas if you run out, and they get YOU to safe haven if needed (Not just your car)

Maps.. I can get online too. Have aircard, will travel!
Old 03-31-2006, 10:13 AM   #26

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Good sam's ERS is a separate entity to Good sam in general.
I wanted it because of the fact that they cover all family vehicles. I didn't see the clause about only one rv, and if so it will disappoint me.
However it still is only 79.00US compared to the approximately same coverage at CAA of 259.00CAD, with one major exception being that they will tow your trailer if your tug breaks dow, CAA doesn't. CAA also gives you a hard time with motorcycles sometimes.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:44 AM   #27

Trailer: 81 Trillium 5500 (Pearl)
Our complaint after joining Good Sam was that our mailbox was suddenly overloaded. I don't mean email, I mean snail mail. We finally decided that it wasn't worth it for us as we didn't stay enough nights at Good Sam Parks. I might join again if they would agree NOT to give my address to everyone on the planet.

Kathy
Old 03-31-2006, 12:15 PM   #28

Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
Quote:
Our complaint after joining Good Sam was that our mailbox was suddenly overloaded. I don't mean email, I mean snail mail. We finally decided that it wasn't worth it for us as we didn't stay enough nights at Good Sam Parks. I might join again if they would agree NOT to give my address to everyone on the planet.

Kathy
My problem with the Good Sam Club is that we did not rejoin in February, and we still receive lots of mail from them. We have written them several times, and called them and requested that they PLEASE quit sending us their advertisements. We are closing a private mail box, and it will cost us to have mail forwarded. We also requested that if they did not quit, they at least update our address. None of this has happened and it has been two months now.

So, the snail mail just keeps coming!

Diane