Good Sam emergency road insurance - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-12-2006, 11:29 AM   #15
Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
We have AAA insurance for all vehicles and home. We get an excellent price on insurance through our credit union. We also spend the extra $32 per year for one membership (I carry the card because I drive further to work). Nice thing about AAA is the towing benefits follow the member or card, not the vehicle. Whatever vehicle you are driving can be towed.

Through our travels we have witnessed many boats and trailers sitting on the side of the road with no tow vehicle. I assume that their insurance did not cover towing of such. For that reason, and for the discussion here, recently we purchased the Good Sam ERS for $79 per year. To us that seems a small price to pay to make sure your boat, trailer, camper (whatever) be removed from the highway to a safe spot. And if we so happen to be pulling the camper, the fact that Good Sam will find a nice campground for us is even more appealing. Wonder if they would find us a great fishing spot if we were pulling the boat?

D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #16
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
I'm not trying to promote AAA. My AAA membership runs out in a couple months and I am trying to decide if I should switch to Good Sam ERS or stick with AAA. For those with Good Sam ERS would you look at this list of benifits. I really want to know if Good Sam meets or beats this. There's also a cost condsideration. It appears that Good Sam is less costly than AAA, and there's other benifits to both.

Thanks for your input.

Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:33 PM   #17
Trailer: 17 ft 2001 Casita Freedom Deluxe (one eyed CatSita)
in July, we were west of Indianopolis on hwy 36 and we stopped to use the john and when we attempted to restart, nothing happened.
having a aaa card, we called them. sounded like we had a dead battery, so we asked for a jump. the aaa guy came out and it still would'nt start.
we have a road care service sold by camping world (affinity group, which owns good sam and every thing else in the rv world.), so we called them for a tow. they sent out a tow truck and i mentioned that we had a trailer and expected it to be towed also. the girl was supprised, said she had not heard of this service, but she evidently got enlightned because nothing more was said about it, and we had the best of care.
in fact the tow company was Poor Boys Towing, Brazil, IN.(they are also Poor Boys Tree Trimming and are located on an unnamed private dirt road) and the tow truck driver was the owners son. he convinced us to camp in there yard (free electricty and water) and let his dad look at it in the morning. which he did, and said we should take it to the dealer.
they got us started and we drove into the Toyota of Terra Haute dealer, which was also Thompson Honda and a few others names that i can't remember.....they sold Honda Motorcycles, and another brand of atv's....a very busy place.
While they were very busy and would not tell us if they could even look at it, they got us out of there in a about 3 hours.
we eventually had a new transmission installed...but that is an even longer story.
Lou & Lora E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:38 PM   #18
Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
For those with Good Sam ERS would you look at this list of benifits. I really want to know if Good Sam meets or beats this.
Thanks for your input.
Just to throw an additional comparison into the mix, I noticed one big difference between my State Farm Emergency Road Service and your AAA PlusRV coverage:
  • AAA PlusRV - 100 miles of towing is free, then they charge for any additonal miles.
  • State Farm ERS - no limit to the number of miles they will tow, but it needs to be to the closest available service center. Like AAA PlusRV, the service includes towing your trailer too.
We too are wondering if we should switch from our current emergency road service plan (ours is with State Farm) to Good Sam. The cost difference of $70 per year is making us hesitate to make the change though...

Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:44 PM   #19
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
I have not needed to use Good Sam as yet, but my dad has and talked me into it. He is now 91 and only RVing once or twice a year now. He has 30 years of semi full timing it - 6 months a year as a member of MAPS serving from Alaska to Florida.

Good Sam towed my dad just under 200 miles after his truck engine caught fire on his way to Alaska. They also towed his 5th wheel to a RV park close to the garage his truck was at and set it up.

The second time he needed Good Sam was in southern California (he lives in Washington state). They once again towed his new 5th wheel and set him up, took his truck with a blown transmission to the garage of his choice. He has been a member of AAA for 67 years, but for RV roadside service, Good Sam is the way to go.

I now have Good Sam & my regular AAA roadside service. I hope this helps.

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote