Good Sam emergency road insurance - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-11-2006, 08:07 AM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot
Manitoba
I put new front struts, tires, and brake rotors and pads on the Forester before we headed out on our three week trip to the West Coast.

Day Two, foreign country, 1:30 Friday afternoon; 105 degrees, 30 mph headwind, and heading up a hill....my niece says "There's smoke...". The right rear strut had broken, and the spring and keeper supporting the weight of the car were machining their way into my new tire - into the cords. Day done.

Thanks to the advice of this website, I had purchased Good Sam's emergency road insurance three days before we left home. Phone call to Good Sam, she said she would call back within a specific time with instructions. Thanks to good guy North Dakota State Trooper A. Huck who trucked off down the road to find the nearest mile marker for Good Sam's rescue information. Good Sam called back with time of arrival, name, and phone number of the closest tow company, location of closest campground to which they would be taking the Surfside; and name of Subaru dealer in Mandan, ND, where the Forester would be taken. I called the dealer - Ressler Subaru, who started to round up parts. Good Sam called back, saying that they had found a better campground - one that was en route back to Mandan. Wrecker arrived earlier than promised, loaded Forester on the flat deck, hooked the Surfside on the back, and my wife, daughter and niece jumped into the air conditioned paradise of the truck. Mark, driving the truck says, "Never seen a strut break before. You're lucky that it didn't catch fire, especially with the gas filler neck right there. !! Good Sam called back once more to ensure that the tow truck had arrived and that we were taken care of. We dropped off the trailer and women at the campground and headed for Mandan. Ressler called while we were in transit, to get more info for parts.

4:30 Friday afternoon, Ressler's mechanic confirmed my on-the-road diagnosis of a broken strut ("never seen that happen before"). Thanks to the persistent phone work of Steve Baldwin at Ressler, I was able to get the exact manufacturer and size of tire that I had on the other three corners (if not, I would have to buy four new tires - all wheel drive, don't ya know..). The struts were coming in from Minneapolis, Saturday morning. All of the dealer loaners were already out, so I asked for the nearest rent-a-car agency. Scott Graeber, the service manager, tossed me a set of keys to a new Forester, and said "Just bring it back full". I drove back out to the campground to get the women, and we headed back into Mandan to get a hotel room. State-wide athletic conference was on, and we got the last free hotel room in town that night. Next morning, the parts were in earlier than promised, they were installed earlier than promised and we were off. We drove past the break-down spot pretty much 24 hours after the inital problem.

We hit the coast in Central Washington, and enjoyed the cool temperatures as we worked our way south to Northern California. We're now home with a lot of great memories. Our thanks go to Good Sam, and Ressler Subaru in Mandan, ND.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:49 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
I'm so glad that things worked out so well for you. Your story and those of several others on this forum have convinced me that Good Sam's Insurance is the way to go.

I also had some car trouble recently. I'd gone to central California with my dog to help care for my mother, who had fallen and broken some bones. I was headed home to Oregon last Sunday when our '98 Subaru's engine began overheating. I was able to take an off-ramp onto the Avenue of the Giants, and stopped in Phillipsville to see what the problem was. Virtually every motel in the region was filled due to an outdoor reggae concert that drew 30,000 people to the Garberville area, but due to the kindness of strangers I happened into an empty room at the bar next door.

The next morning I tried to get a tow into Garberville to have the car worked on. My emergency road service with State Farm pays to tow a vehicle to the nearest service facility, but unfortunately, auto mechanics are so overworked in that area that noone would even look at the car for 2 weeks. The next closest place to tow to would have cost $250, which our insurance wouldn't pay for, since it wasn't the closest mechanic. To avoid the extra cost of motels while the car was being fixed, and to be able to have our own mechanic work on our Subaru, Steve ended up driving down from Oregon, renting a U-Haul truck and tow dolly, and loading our car onto it to tow home.

We're still waiting for the news of what's wrong with our car, but thankfully I made it home and can attest to the kindness of people in the very tiny town of Phillipsville.

Jeanne

Old 09-08-2006, 06:28 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
My emergency road service with State Farm pays to tow a vehicle to the nearest service facility, but unfortunately, auto mechanics are so overworked in that area that noone would even look at the car for 2 weeks. The next closest place to tow to would have cost $250, which our insurance wouldn't pay for, since it wasn't the closest mechanic.
Jeanne
I just spoke to our State Farm Insurance agent, and need to add an update to my earlier post. He agreed that State Farm should (and would) pay the cost of the $250 tow since closer mechanics weren't available to work on our car. He also said that having emergency road service through State Farm includes towing a trailer that the insured car is pulling. The additional cost per vehicle for us is $9.60 per year.

The downside in comparison with Good Sam, is you need to do all the legwork yourself - calling for the tow, finding the service facility to tow it to, and paying the bill. You also end up with your trailer at the service shop instead of a campground. When you get home you submit the tow bill to your insurance agent for reimbursement.

By the way, all this fuss and expense, and all that was wrong with our car was a faulty thermostat that costs $15!

Jeanne
Old 09-08-2006, 08:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Thanks for posting that.

I think we're going to go with Good Sam.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:08 PM   #5

Name: Owen
Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Alberta
Registry
Greetings All !!
I purchased my first RV (a Trillium 13' Trailer) in the fall of 1987. the same year I joined Good Sam. I have enjoyed the fraternal aspects of the club and enjoyed the access to information for a new RV'er that was available through the Highway's Magazine. In 1992 I took advantage of become a Charter Life Member of Good Sam. I have recieved many offers to obtain the Emergency Road Service Coverage, but in years that I travelled little, I did not get ERS coverage. In the last few years I thought ERS was valuable and have it in place.
Some of the aspects that set it apart from other plans are:
Coverage extends to all licensed vehicles registered to You, except commercial vehicles. ( 9 cars and vans in my case.) It also extends to all licensed drivers in the family. This past summer my son borrowed my 1996 Voyager van to tow his tent trailer to Victoria, BC. On the way out, the fuel pump failed at Kamloops BC. He had a Good Sam ERS card in the vehicle, and phoned the 24 hr access number. They made certain that he was in a safe position, then arranged for towing of the van and trailer to Kamloops. As it happened on a long weekend, only the Canadian Tire Associate store was open over the weekend. They towed the van there and a second truck took the trailer to a campground, and the driver stayed to assist with setup. When Dennis asked about costs he was told that it was all looked after, and not to worry. Repairs were made on Sunday, and He was on his way the next afternoon. The dispatchers were most kind and considerate, and phoned back later to make sure everything was OK. A bad day was made pleasant by their consideration.
I have also allowed my name to be posted in the Good Sam Directory as a Standby Sam for the Calgary area. In this capacity I will assist club members with directions, information and resources to assist them whenever I can. I have met some very interesting people in the past few years, and made a few very good friends.
I heartily recommend Good Sam to everyone as an organization, and enjoy the discounts given to members by Campgrounds, RV Parts dealers and supply stores. These are the most visible reasons for joining, but it is the warmth and camaraderie of the RV community that makes it most valuable.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:44 PM   #6

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
This thread reminded me to:

Drop the towing insurance from my auto policy

I recently had to add a car to my policy and while changing stuff around I remembered to get rid of the towing. My new car warranty covers it, the extended warranty on BOTH my cars covers it, my Good Sam covers it.. no need to have Farmers cover it too!

Woo Hoo! I saved 20 bucks
Old 09-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #7

Alberta
Registry

Good Morning Gina,
I'm so happy that you will be able to add a couple more days of Camping fees onto your budget for this season. Life is good.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
I just got the bill from Good Sam for trip insurance. I was sooooo glad to see your posts and know it was a wise move. We'll be going to the "other" coast at the end of the month. So thanks also to this website for giving us the idea to get it in the first place.
Thanks y'all,
Just practising!
Christine
Old 09-10-2006, 06:59 PM   #9

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
a note about the "auxillary" services ERS gives you, which way above and beyond AAA.

The one most valuable thing they do, for me, anyway, is a pet return service. If you are injured or otherwise unable to take care of your fur baby while on the road, they will make arrangements to get them to a safe place, either a local sitter, kennel or on a plane back home.

You pay the transportation fees, like airfare etc, and the kenneling fees, but they send someone out to actually DO the transfering to your choice of location or airport. And they take care of the adminstration of it.

Nothing like being in ICU and worrying about how your dog is going to get fed or where they are going to sleep and stay safe. Last I looked, they didn't allow pets in ICU
Old 09-10-2006, 08:59 PM   #10

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
From what I read in the Good Sam ERS literature they'll tow you to the nearest place that can do the repairs, in our case on our TV. It sounds like the place is their choice not yours. Correct me if I'm wrong on that one.

I have AAA and recently (labor day weekend) had to have my TV towed. They towed it about 55 miles to my choice of places. I didn't test the trailer towing option, my son-in-law towed it to his place.

The time before that when I needed a tow I was 110 miles away. I had the tow truck driver go past my house on the way to the shop I wanted it left at. Picked up the other car and met him there. That one cost me $30.00 extra.

Not be touting AAA or running down GS ERS, just making some observations. I think AAA is more expensive, but not as expensive as it would be to have to miss a day or two of work the deal with a car 100 miles away.

It also appears that there's many more tow companies associated with AAA.

I thought about changing to GS ERS from all the things said here, but changed my mind, at least for now.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:28 PM   #11

Name: Catherine
Trailer: 82 14 ft Surfside Triple E TM14
Registry
Quote:
I have AAA and recently (labor day weekend) had to have my TV towed.
I gather you're not referring to your television. What is your 'TV'?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:36 PM   #12

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I gather you're not referring to your television. What is your 'TV'?
What's television? I thought TV stood for [b]Tow [b]Vehicle.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:40 AM   #13

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
they towed my van to the repair site I wanted, no questions asked. It might be different in a more remote area.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:54 AM   #14

Alberta
Registry
In Canada Good Sam uses whatever towing companies that have the resources to handle your type of problem and your type of vehicle(s).
Therefore they will not send a one truck one ton operator to look after your 40' Dynasty deisel pusher. This might cut out a few operators who spend most of the day picking up scrap cars for the recyclers, and just register with AAA to give an appearance of respectability. The numbers may be fewer, but the capabilities are established before someone is sent to you.
The desination of the tow is discussed with you by the dispatcher when you talk to them. They find out your type of problem and then can find the type of repair facility to handle it. A continuous feedback program helps them stay on top of the type of service their members recieve. They also welcome calls from members with concerns or inquiries at any time.