Good Sam worth it's weight in gold - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2006, 10:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
As I was backing into my campsite friday nite.. 20 miles from the nearest gas station.. my gasoline idiot light comes on! It's actually not a light, it is a hologram of ME!!!

I wasn't going anywhere that nite, so I waited until morning to call. It took the guy several HOURS to find me, but he did, with a 2 gallon gas can and he poured it in! It was enough to get me to the gas station 20 miles away and fill up!

No charge! All worked as they advertise and they called back to see if I was OK and on the road again.

I almost forgot I had Good Sam and was going to beg the generator people for some gas. It was worth the price of membership to not be a pest.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Gina,
Isn't it a secure feeling to know that was only a phone call away?! Sure beats the alternative!
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:23 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Peace of mind is worth a lot!

However, let me relate this:
My owner's manual states that my Honda Odyssey has a 20 gallon fuel tank. When the little yellow "fuel low" dash light first came on, when it was still a new car, I rushed right over to the nearest gas station to fill up. All it would take is 16 gallons! Even if I were towing, at 11 mpg, that means I could go (at minimum) another 44 miles before being stranded. I can usually find a gas station within 44 miles.

I'll be in my room...
Old 06-26-2006, 06:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
We have the Odyssey van too.. and 16 gallons is it --

When towing we fill the tanks when we get around 200 miles...
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:03 PM   #5

Registry
The Element tank is 15. After the Good Sam guy put in two, and I drove the 20 to the station, it's took 13 gallons.

I would have been cutting it VERY close. Other Element folks say they can go another 50 without filling, but I didn't want to risk that. The most I have ever gone was 10 or so before hitting a station.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
gina, i am glad you got the gas but concerned that you would rather have had someone drive all that way (using more gas than you needed just to get to you) instead of asking a neighboring camper. aren't you always glad to help someone out if you can? let them feel good for having helped out that "cute lil' gal in the next campsite with her cute lil' ol egg".

this is not a critisism, just an observation so don't get out the flying monkeys!
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:41 PM   #7

Registry
Not really

I would have felt awkward, and thats what I paid the service for. + I would have had to hassle carrying a gas can in the car to replace the gas I borrowed.

In all the years I have had some sort of roadside assistance plan (AAA, GM, my auto insurance etc) I have never used it.

They brought it in a sedan, not a tow truck. And believe me, they most likely were compensated well for it.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
sorry, i just pictured the typical tow truck and someone else who needed a real tow waiting while you got the gas.
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:39 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita
Glad to know that Good Sams Road Service worked so well for you. I have recently changed from AAA Plus to Good Sams. Thanks for the report. Dwain
Dwain T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:39 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
You should have easily been able to drive 20 miles when the light came on based on discussions over at the Honda forum. I think there's around 3 gallons left in the 15.5gal tank typically, although your real-world gallons seem to indicate the light came on 'late'.

And wasn't that 20 miles downhill?
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:14 AM   #11

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I too am very pleased with Good Sam.
I always used to carry CAA, but they got way too expensive, it would have cost over 250.00 to get full coverage on all our vehicles, GoodSam was only 99.00.
I had to use it about 3 weeks ago, i went out to go to the store, and smelled anti-freeze, turns out I blew a hose on the back of the engine.
Called GoodSam, explained what I needed, in less than an hour my van was on the back of a tilt/load and on it's way to my choice of Garage. They were very professional, and polite, and the service was great.
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:02 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
And wasn't that 20 miles downhill?
was even FARTHER down! At 20 miles of absolutely nothing, not even a house... and temps pushing 100, I just did not want to risk it. 2 dogs and sketchy cell service.. why risk it?

I had a fridge full of sodas and food, a comfy chair.. and I could have waited all day.. it was not like I was in a hurry. I only lost some back road time, but I changed plans and made up for it.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:53 PM   #13

Trailer: 77 Scamp 13 ft / Landrover Freelander
I might have to think of getting coverage like that. My ity bity freelander, gets mighty thursty , when tug'n my egg around. Esp. Colorado passes are ,Keeping up with 80mph highways, or a primitive road to 14,000' no services. It's a very good to have a help line.
brian dobbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weighing, weight