Goodyear Marathon - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-17-2007, 10:42 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
i'm a bit confused with getting new tires myself. i was told by one shop that all he could get were some chinese tires and i didn't like the sound of that, so i have made a date at another shop where the gentleman has recommended 155 80 R remington tires. they would be $138 installed. is this alright? no one nearby seems to want to put tires on my 13 foot boler and i don't know one tire from the next. thanks, if someone can reassure me or steer me in the right direction.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:58 AM   #16

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Scamp
Ontario
Quote:
If you're interested here's a list from Goodyear's web site of tire marathon tire sizes, plus.
This what confuses me, the tire is still listed on the Goodyear site, but according to the local Goodyear tire shop, production has been halted on the 175/80R13 LR C tire and will most likely discontinuing the tire due to defects one day and no demand the next. I either have a tech who does not know what he is talking about or will be shopping elsewhere for my next tire purchase, maybe both.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:18 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
The Marathon product page (to which Byron and I both provided links) does list the desired size/load range, but that doesn't mean much. I've noticed with other tires, and other brands, that what is in the list and what you can actually get are not the same thing... they can be out of production, out of stock at the distributor, or just not in the retailer's price list.

I have heard of manufacturers building products in batches (or "runs"), including less common tires. If the warehouse runs out of your size before the next run, you're out of luck.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:44 PM   #18

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
This what confuses me, the tire is still listed on the Goodyear site, but according to the local Goodyear tire shop, production has been halted on the 175/80R13 LR C tire and will most likely discontinuing the tire due to defects one day and no demand the next. I either have a tech who does not know what he is talking about or will be shopping elsewhere for my next tire purchase, maybe both.
Scamp puts LR B tires on the 13'. Do you have your trailer loaded to the point of needing LR-Cs? If not stay with LR-Bs.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:28 PM   #19

Alberta
Quote:
Do you have your trailer loaded to the point of needing LR-Cs?
A valid question! When answering it, I suggest keeping some factors in mind:
  • is the trailer loaded evenly side-to-side? (you need enough capacity for the heavier side)
  • what pressure will you keep in the tires? (see a load/inflation table, such as the one from Goodyear or Maxxis); note that a higher load range does not change the need for adequate pressure, but a larger size would typically allow a lower pressure
  • will you stay within the speed limit of ST tires? (if not, plan for higher inflation, or get a higher-rated tire, or at least allow some load margin)
Old 08-17-2007, 03:28 PM   #20

Ontario
Quote:
A valid question! When answering it, I suggest keeping some factors in mind:
  • is the trailer loaded evenly side-to-side? (you need enough capacity for the heavier side)
  • what pressure will you keep in the tires? (see a load/inflation table, such as the one from Goodyear or Maxxis); note that a higher load range does not change the need for adequate pressure, but a larger size would typically allow a lower pressure
  • will you stay within the speed limit of ST tires? (if not, plan for higher inflation, or get a higher-rated tire, or at least allow some load margin)
When I bought the tires, I had a slightly smaller tire and it was a LR-B range (tires on her at time of purchase that were done), on the recommendation of the tire shop they gave me the LR-C tires. I run the listed tire pressure that is on the tire as recommended by these guys when I purchased them. I have not weighed the Scamp, but I only have the 1 7/8 hitch on the Scamp therefore a Class 1 of 2000lbs. I also try to keep the camper evenly loaded as much as possible. I would prefer to keep all of my tires, including the spare, the same manufacture, size and load range except in an emergency, get me home/no other choice situation. There has been a number of changes with this scamp as I have had a near shell off frame restoration, I will be going to weigh her when we pass the scales in a few weeks for a loaded weight. The scales are near a place where I will be getting some other work done, so next year I will get in there to do a dry weight reading. The axle is only rated for 1500# therefore the 1100# tires should have been enough, I think these are the only ones in stock at the time, should have seen that this could have been a problem back then. I also keep to the speed limit, usually around 90km/h +-10 while towing. Looking at the speed rating in the linked to charts, the rating is 65mph so I should be under this. I think the biggest thing that is bugging me, is that I purchased an item on their recommendation and now had a difficult time finding a replacement tire and told it was being discontinued. Just wondering, does a new axle comes with the 4 bolt or 5 bolt pattern and matches the tire/rim sold by Costco, after I rotate through this set of Goodyears, when I get the new axle, I think I might try Carlisle tires next. I am also hoping a new axle will solve my tire wear problem and will only have to worry about tires in the event of a flat or every 5-6 years.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #21

Alberta
Quote:
I believe Scamp is still using load range B on the 13'. My 2006 has LR-Bs.
Yes, Scamp's current web page suggests that they use 13" tires for all models (no more specific size information is given), in Load Range B for the 13', and Load Range C for both 16' and 19'.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:40 PM   #22

Alberta
Shawn, I think you have a good handle on the situation.

Quote:
I run the listed tire pressure that is on the tire as recommended by these guys when I purchased them.
The pressure on the tire is a maximum (presumably 50 PSI)... it is common to recommend operation at the maximum, although pressure that high is unnecessary in this case.

Quote:
I have not weighed the Scamp, but I only have the 1 7/8 hitch on the Scamp therefore a Class 1 of 2000lbs.
While 1-7/8" is the common ball size for Class 1 towing equipment, that size of both ball and coupler is routinely rated for higher loads. Similarly, while 2" is the common size for Class 2 (trailers up to 3500 lb), my Boler's 2" coupler - and most 2" balls that I've seen - are rated for 5000 lb.

I'm not saying that this Scamp 13' is over 2000 lb... just that the 1-7/8" ball size does not imply a 2000 lb trailer limit.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #23

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
IMHO, Scamp puts Load Range B tires on the 13' models for the ride, not the load. The lower tire pressures make the ride on the trailer better (and lower pressure tires are less vulnerable to road damage, except excessive speed, than higher pressure tires).

Where the tires are made is less important than how well they were made. According to the DOT data codes on http://www.harriger.com/tiremakers.htm[s], Goodyear has facilities in such places as:

Philippines

India

Various CA Provinces

China

Turkey

Taiwan

Morocco

Various US states

Chile

Brazil

Columbia

England

France

Germany

Luxembourg

Indonesia

Mexico

Peru

South Africa

Thailand

Venezuela

Malaysia

Likely, not all these places make the Marathon, but unless one looks at the code on the actual tire, one can't be sure where it was made.

I was getting a tire from a brand store in Colorado and the owner mentioned that it would be a US tire, not a foreign one, but the staff was smirking and he avoided me when I came to get my "Made in India" tire...

When I was a kid, the words Made In Japan implied cheap junk -- Tell that to a Lexus owner!
Old 08-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #24

Ontario
Quote:
I'm not saying that this Scamp 13' is over 2000 lb... just that the 1-7/8" ball size does not imply a 2000 lb trailer limit.
This is something I did not know, still, would not want to run over 2000lbs and test the theory. There is no fridge, stove or heater, only a microwave oven currently. I did replace the floors, but don't know how much more the plywood over particle board weighs or laminate flooring/floor mats compaired to the original carpet. Other then that, just the blankets/dishes/other camping items and so on spread out to even the weight. I should be well under any weight concerns and really, the scamp pulls like a dream, I hardly notice she is there until I check the rearview mirror. This is another reason I was surprised with the rapid tire wear, she tracks straight, no pulling to one side, shaking or fish tailing.

The one thing I did catch myself doing during the pre-trip checks is not looking at my tires close enough to catch the tire wear, thinking they were new and therefore not worn. I noticed it when I drove through a dirt parking lot (far from home I might add) and when walking back to the truck, I could not see any defined tread pattern and thought this was odd. Lesson learned, does not matter how new your tires may be, alway check them for wear. This is something I was taught when I trained for my Class A licence and something I still made a mistake with
Old 08-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #25

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Don't judge by the coupler, as Scamp used to put the 1 7/8" on the 16' model, back when they weren't expected to weigh much. I believe Casita, Boler and others did likewise. Current S13s have a 2,200# axle and a 2" coupler. One of the Yahoo Scampers has a 13' that scales out "wet" at 2,200#.

If you want to know the capacity of your axle, crawl under and read the tag which will tell you the weight they 'rubbered' it for when they made it. If the tag isn't visible, call Scamp with your VIN and they can tell you what was standard at the time.

If you want to know its weight, and that of the tow vehicle, take them to a set of scales.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:34 PM   #26

Alberta
Quote:
IMHO, Scamp puts Load Range B tires on the 13' models for the ride, not the load. The lower tire pressures make the ride on the trailer better (and lower pressure tires are less vulnerable to road damage, except excessive speed, than higher pressure tires).
I agree with using appropriate pressures, but I think Pete's being pretty generous to Scamp! A Load Range C tire can be run at the same 35 PSI (or less) as a Load Range B, with almost the same advantages.

There are good reasons to use a relatively low load range:
  • People do tend to inflate trailer tires to the maximum (rather than the right pressure), and using a lower-pressure tire would tend to encourage those people to use the lower pressure
  • An excessively high load rating is wasted money (which comes from the customer)
  • An excessively high load rating means a heavier tire than necessary
In my opinion, with the heaviest Scamp 13's pushing right to the LR-B limit, I suspect this is really just a choice of the least expensive component to adequately do the job. For a light enough trailer, LR-B would be the best choice.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:05 PM   #27

Ontario
I just dropped off my 2 tires, had a bit of a discussion over the tires and also where I might be able to find an axle and have it installed. Of the 2 tires, one was worn due to over inflation, they recommend max pressure due to the typical local usually loads a 2000lbs trailer with 3000lbs**, so they recommend max pressure. For my wear pattern, he recommends 30, maybe 40lbs. I am printing the chart linked above and will inflate my tires with the chart once I weigh the Scamp which will be on the way out for our trip, most likely 35lbs. The other tire had signs of over inflation as well as an alignment issue. This tire also had some hub damage which is the one that would match the slightly damaged rim (two bolt holes were a little worn but this rim was the tire worn from over inflation, not alignment, the alignment tire had a good rim but damaged hub only) from the bolts coming loose. I am not sure if it actually fell off, the hub damage is on the opposite from shell damage, I don't know if a left tire falling off will make a trailer fall over on the right, unless the hubs were swapped. The damaged rim was the spare when I picked up the Scamp, which is where it is going and will try to find another rim sometime. First I am going to try to find a new axle, then find out if I need 1 or 3 rims at that time. My utility trailer, I run truck tires at 30 - 35 lbs, which is under the max weight and why I get better wear then the camper which should have been run at the same tire pressue. I do wonder if just replacing the hub would solve the issue, but the axle is 22 years old and should just spend the money on an entire new axle which is something I was planning within the next few years on this restoration project.

**this is something I am not kidding about, actually seen a small car last night with plywood and a wheel barrow strapped to the roof, the interior save for the driver seat appeared to be loaded with bags of cement, that car was so loaded that he was grounding out. Wonder if he was related to the pick up that had the cement mixer and more cement that blinded me with headlights aimed to high, due to be overloaded in the back. Looked like a nice truck to, new, to bad about the abused suspension when he sells it, to bad for the buyer that is. The worst around here is the trailer with wheels under the platform and the tires rubbing on the box usually causing a blow out and making a mess. Makes me wonder why they don't inspect or regulate trailers more, they even allow trains, usually see a truck pulling a sticky pulling a large boat.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #28

Ontario
Just to follow up, I picked up my new tires last night. Currently they are completely out of stock but he confirmed that Goodyear will not be discontinuing the tire. Going to see how this set runs at the lower pressure and hopefully I will be able to find an axle over the winter.