Goodyear Marathon - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2007, 02:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 85 13 ft Scamp
I have been having a difficult time finding replacement tires, I bought new Goodyear Marathon tires 2 years ago and have already worn out 2 of them in about 7500km. I think I need a new axle which I am looking into for a winter project or next spring. For now, I am going on a 3 week vacation, Goodyear has no tires with no production date and the dealer told me they were most likely discontinueing this tire. I was able to nab 2 tires for a decent price at an independent seller, but for the future, what other tires are available? Is the 4 ply 1100# rated tires ok for a 13" Scamp, or is my Goodyear Tire dealer messing with me? Shopping around has only yeilded Carlisle tires, pre-mounted to a 5 bolt pattern rim with only 1 seller willing to do a rim swap leaving me with a rim I don't need. This also has me a little concerned in a worst case senario of 2 flats and not finding a replacement tire that will fit to get me home.

edit:typo in topic description corrected
Shawn Englehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Shawn,
If you want to change to a different tire, when I had my Boler I took it into the local Kal Tire and they put new tires on the existing rims, Maxxis ST 8008 They had them in stock when I just dropped in with the trailer in tow. Not sure if that helps at all, or if you are even close to a Kal Tire shop, but they were good tires and weren't premounted on rims.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:01 PM   #3

Does anyone know what was available for the Goodyear Marathon ST175/80/13 tires? My dealer told me that the 6 ply was going to be discontinued, I just looked at my tires and they are the 4 ply tire rated for 1360#, what is the 6 ply rated for? How many ply is the 1100# rated tire. I think I am being put through some undue stress here and I even went in with a tire for replacement Canadian Tire was even more useless and the parts guy was rude. Costco seems to be the most helpful and best price so far.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Shawn,
If you want to change to a different tire, when I had my Boler I took it into the local Kal Tire and they put new tires on the existing rims, Maxxis ST 8008 They had them in stock when I just dropped in with the trailer in tow. Not sure if that helps at all, or if you are even close to a Kal Tire shop, but they were good tires and weren't premounted on rims.
The closest in Quebec is 3-4 hours away from Montreal in of all places, Rouyn-Noranda, odd, the only one in Quebec also. I find living in the second largest city in Eastern Canada, there is nothing here for specialty stuff, even going home to NB to find things, its difficult here for some reason . There is one in Ottawa about an hour and half away from the house (we work in Montreal 45min in the opposite direction) with weekend hours, we camp up there once in awhile so might look into them, thanks.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
These Goodyear Marathon Trailer tires are still showing in at Tire Rack.

TireRack
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The ply rating is the old system, from when they actually counted the plies. The current system uses Load Range, which should also be on your tires.

I've never used them, but the Casita forums are reportedly quite enthused over Kuhmo tires and other folks like Towmaster (I think they may come on Scamps now). There are plenty of other Load Range C tires out there.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:09 PM   #7

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I recently put on a pair of Duro tires. Maybe they have something in the size you need.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
The ply rating is the old system.
The current system uses Load Range.

... and other folks like Towmaster (I think they may come on Scamps now). There are plenty of other Load Range C tires out there.
I am presently running 5.30 x 12, 6 ply radial, load range C, Towmaster tires on my Fiber Stream.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:14 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
As Pete said, ply ratings are like, so yesterday. Seriously, there are a bunch of ways to describe the range of load capacity, but they all tie together in a consistent way:
  • "2 ply rating" - 24 PSI max inflation pressure - Load Range A (won't find any of these anymore)
  • "4 ply rating" - 35 PSI max inflation pressure - Load Range B (comparable to common passenger car tires)
  • "6 ply rating" - 50 PSI max inflation pressure - Load Range C (common on small travel trailers)
  • "8 ply rating" - 65 PSI max inflation pressure - Load Range D (common on bigger travel trailers)
  • "10 ply rating" - 80 PSI max inflation pressure - Load Range E
  • ... and so on
As you can tell from the list, tires used to have a lot of layers ("plies") of reinforcing cord in them. A modern passenger car tire, with the inflation pressure and approximate capacity of the Load Range B trailer tire, has only one body ply (plus an extra belt or two under the tread). I have no idea how many are really in current trailer tires, but it should be shown on the sidewall... not that is matters.

It might help to have a look at the full Marathon Specifications. For the ST175/80R13, 1100 lb capacity would be the Load Range B, while 1360 lb would be Load Range C. A "four ply" rated for 1360 lb might be a misunderstanding, or perhaps a tire with four actual plies but capacity to handle 50 PSI and Load Range C ("six ply rating").

As is apparent in a quick comparison of the Marathon and full Maxxis M8008 ST Radial Specifications Table, tires of the same type (e.g. ST), size, and load range from different manufacturers have the same load rating. They may perform differently and have different levels of quality, but the rated capacity is consistent.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:24 PM   #10

To more directly respond to the original question...

The title says "Goodyear Marathon, To discontinue the ST175/85/13 6 ply tire?". The likely size for a Marathon is actually ST175/80R13 (I assume just a minor typo), but perhaps some retailers are actually looking for the wrong size.

If Goodyear were to discontinue one load range in this size, it would be hard to imagine them dropping the Load Range C version (the "six ply rated" one), since a Load Range C tire could be sold to replace Load Range B tires, but not the other way around. I doubt many trailers now use a ST175/80R13 LR-B, since even a trailer maker trying to be as cheap as possible would likely choose a 12" load range D tire instead (for the same load). In larger sizes, only higher load ranges are available.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:20 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
I doubt many trailers now use a ST175/80R13 LR-B, since even a trailer maker trying to be as cheap as possible would likely choose a 12" load range D tire instead (for the same load). In larger sizes, only higher load ranges are available.
I believe Scamp is still using load range B on the 13'. My 2006 has LR-Bs.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Tirerack used to sell Goodyear Marathons ST175/70/13 in both B and C load ratings. Now they seem to only have C rated. Perhaps that is the tire that is no longer being made.
Tom Trostel
Old 08-17-2007, 08:00 AM   #13

Quote:
To more directly respond to the original question...

The title says "Goodyear Marathon, To discontinue the ST175/85/13 6 ply tire?". The likely size for a Marathon is actually ST175/[b]80R13 (I assume just a minor typo), but perhaps some retailers are actually looking for the wrong size.

If Goodyear were to discontinue one load range in this size, it would be hard to imagine them dropping the Load Range C version (the "six ply rated" one), since a Load Range C tire could be sold to replace Load Range B tires, but not the other way around. I doubt many trailers now use a ST175/80R13 LR-B, since even a trailer maker trying to be as cheap as possible would likely choose a 12" load range D tire instead (for the same load). In larger sizes, only higher load ranges are available.
Yes, typo on my part, I have the ST175/80/13. From what I was told, it is the Load Range C/6 ply tire they are discontinuing. On my sidewall, it is a load range C, but only 4 ply, regardless, it does not really make sense to discontinue this tire for the smaller load range. I just know I spent the past week trying to find tires without having to change load range or tire size, tire size means 3 more tires or run with a spare of a different size. I am not really happy with the service level, would hate to have to find a tire here if just travelling through. What I really wanted was to buy 1 tire and use the evenly worn tire as a spare but since I found 2 tires of what I had, I am getting them both and running with a new spare.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:52 AM   #14

Registry
If you're interested here's a list from Goodyear's web site of tire marathon tire sizes, plus.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:42 AM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
i'm a bit confused with getting new tires myself. i was told by one shop that all he could get were some chinese tires and i didn't like the sound of that, so i have made a date at another shop where the gentleman has recommended 155 80 R remington tires. they would be $138 installed. is this alright? no one nearby seems to want to put tires on my 13 foot boler and i don't know one tire from the next. thanks, if someone can reassure me or steer me in the right direction.
gillian s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #16

Quote:
If you're interested here's a list from Goodyear's web site of tire marathon tire sizes, plus.
This what confuses me, the tire is still listed on the Goodyear site, but according to the local Goodyear tire shop, production has been halted on the 175/80R13 LR C tire and will most likely discontinuing the tire due to defects one day and no demand the next. I either have a tech who does not know what he is talking about or will be shopping elsewhere for my next tire purchase, maybe both.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:18 PM   #17

The Marathon product page (to which Byron and I both provided links) does list the desired size/load range, but that doesn't mean much. I've noticed with other tires, and other brands, that what is in the list and what you can actually get are not the same thing... they can be out of production, out of stock at the distributor, or just not in the retailer's price list.

I have heard of manufacturers building products in batches (or "runs"), including less common tires. If the warehouse runs out of your size before the next run, you're out of luck.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
This what confuses me, the tire is still listed on the Goodyear site, but according to the local Goodyear tire shop, production has been halted on the 175/80R13 LR C tire and will most likely discontinuing the tire due to defects one day and no demand the next. I either have a tech who does not know what he is talking about or will be shopping elsewhere for my next tire purchase, maybe both.
Scamp puts LR B tires on the 13'. Do you have your trailer loaded to the point of needing LR-Cs? If not stay with LR-Bs.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Do you have your trailer loaded to the point of needing LR-Cs?
A valid question! When answering it, I suggest keeping some factors in mind:
  • is the trailer loaded evenly side-to-side? (you need enough capacity for the heavier side)
  • what pressure will you keep in the tires? (see a load/inflation table, such as the one from Goodyear or Maxxis); note that a higher load range does not change the need for adequate pressure, but a larger size would typically allow a lower pressure
  • will you stay within the speed limit of ST tires? (if not, plan for higher inflation, or get a higher-rated tire, or at least allow some load margin)
Old 08-17-2007, 02:28 PM   #20

Quote:
A valid question! When answering it, I suggest keeping some factors in mind:
  • is the trailer loaded evenly side-to-side? (you need enough capacity for the heavier side)
  • what pressure will you keep in the tires? (see a load/inflation table, such as the one from Goodyear or Maxxis); note that a higher load range does not change the need for adequate pressure, but a larger size would typically allow a lower pressure
  • will you stay within the speed limit of ST tires? (if not, plan for higher inflation, or get a higher-rated tire, or at least allow some load margin)
When I bought the tires, I had a slightly smaller tire and it was a LR-B range (tires on her at time of purchase that were done), on the recommendation of the tire shop they gave me the LR-C tires. I run the listed tire pressure that is on the tire as recommended by these guys when I purchased them. I have not weighed the Scamp, but I only have the 1 7/8 hitch on the Scamp therefore a Class 1 of 2000lbs. I also try to keep the camper evenly loaded as much as possible. I would prefer to keep all of my tires, including the spare, the same manufacture, size and load range except in an emergency, get me home/no other choice situation. There has been a number of changes with this scamp as I have had a near shell off frame restoration, I will be going to weigh her when we pass the scales in a few weeks for a loaded weight. The scales are near a place where I will be getting some other work done, so next year I will get in there to do a dry weight reading. The axle is only rated for 1500# therefore the 1100# tires should have been enough, I think these are the only ones in stock at the time, should have seen that this could have been a problem back then. I also keep to the speed limit, usually around 90km/h +-10 while towing. Looking at the speed rating in the linked to charts, the rating is 65mph so I should be under this. I think the biggest thing that is bugging me, is that I purchased an item on their recommendation and now had a difficult time finding a replacement tire and told it was being discontinued. Just wondering, does a new axle comes with the 4 bolt or 5 bolt pattern and matches the tire/rim sold by Costco, after I rotate through this set of Goodyears, when I get the new axle, I think I might try Carlisle tires next. I am also hoping a new axle will solve my tire wear problem and will only have to worry about tires in the event of a flat or every 5-6 years.