Got the Blues - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #1

Name: Suzy
Trailer: '74 Perris Pacer
California
Got the Blues

Im just kind of bummed today. We're leaving on Wednesday for our annual trip to Yosemite with my extended family which is GREAT and will be fun, but I'm having to leave my egg behind because I couldn't get her axle fixed in time to go. She's my refuge and my clubhouse and my cozy place to take a nap or read a book. I get migraines the first couple of days in high altitude (we live by the beach), and it's always so nice to have her there to go lie down in. She's decorated in what I call modern gypsy vardo style and has memory foam mattresses and lots of big down filled cushy pillows and soft throws. Now I know she's not for everyone, but sometimes I even go out to the garage with my iPad and hang out in her when I need a break! Feels like I'm on vacation!

Yosemite is going to be a very different experience this year. Sigh.

Please. If ANYONE has any suggestions of someone who can order and install an axle for me anywhere in the greater LA area, PLEASE let me know. I can't believe I didn't get even one response to my earlier post! I don't have the knowledge, tools or space to do it myself, and I really don't want to lose out on this entire summer of camping! I would SO appreciate any recommendations! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Suzy I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Three suggestions. 1) my Trillium was made in Temecula. The axle was supplied by a company called Red Neck Trailer Supply. If they sell them they might know who installs them. Check the web for the location.

2) Call the local RV places. I doubt they do axles but they might know a place that does.

3) Here there is a place that calls itslf " a spring and chassis shop". They do axles. Yellow pages? Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:46 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Red Neck trailer supply is a huge retailer of trailer parts but, while mostly geared to the over-the-road kind, is very good about finding hard to find parts for our trailers. They have several outlets in SoCal, including one in Ontario.

Arrow trailer supply, also in Ontario, CA has an entire dept. that does nothing but suspension and axle work and they are very highly rated by customers. Here's a link:
Order RV Accessories in Rancho Cucamonga CA Today

I may have missed your earlier request as I was on the road for most of last month.

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
For migraines- try to do very little the first 24-48 hours until you get used to the elevation. That may help.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:51 AM   #5

California
Thanks for the suggestions that some of you have posted. I'll give Arrow Trailer Supply a call tomorrow. I think the root of the problem with the scarcity of recommendations is that most of the people on this board are do-it-your-selfers! Which is actually definitely not a problem, per se, until someone like me needs a personal recommendation for someone else to do some work! I've actually done everything myself so far, and prefer it that way; i've replaced all the cabinet doors, repaired fiberglass, sanded and repainted everything inside that could be sanded and repainted, rewired the trailer for 12 volt and installed LED lights and switches and outlets and a marine battery, sewed new seat covers and made new cushions and curtains, put in a new fantastic fan, put in new flooring, added shelves and a mirror and various other bibs and bobs, but I draw the line at welding! That's a bit over my head and I don't think Dremel has an attachment for that! So, hopefully, I'll get somewhere with Arrow Trailer Supply tomorrow. THANK YOU!!!

And thank you for the suggestion about the migraines, Bobbie. That's usually what ends up happening just out of necessity anyway!
Old 07-06-2015, 01:32 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Suzy, I don't think that the lack of responses are because of being DIYers but more that the need of an axle change out is a lot less common for the majority here. Bob M did give you a good lead. I do think that most folks that change out a stock welded on axle have a plate added that allows the new axle to be bolted on for future replacement ease. Righty tighty, lefty loosey
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:51 AM   #7

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
An axle change is a very simple job involving 4 bolts max usually. I assume you have the new axle? If so, any mechanic with a lift can do it fairly quickly. I did mine in my driveway by myself with a car jack and a few bricks.
Good luck!
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 19 5'er
Colorado
Suzy:

As has been said, changing an axle isn't like flying the space shuttle, so you don't need to hire a Boeing engineer....LOL!

I just looked at Yelp for "trailer hitches" and here's a place with a really high rating from Yelp customers:

Precision Trailer Hitches and Welding - Automotive - Shadow Hills - Los Angeles, CA - Reviews - Photos - Yelp

Another one with high ratings:

Eckharts Trailer Hitch & Welding - 12 Photos - Auto Parts & Supplies - West Los Angeles - West Los Angeles, CA - Reviews - Yelp

Get that thing fixed and hit the road!!

Safe travels,
Old 07-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaner View Post
An axle change is a very simple job involving 4 bolts max usually. I assume you have the new axle? If so, any mechanic with a lift can do it fairly quickly. I did mine in my driveway by myself with a car jack and a few bricks.
Good luck!
Depending on the trailer and the axle, change outs are not always as simple as "removing 4 bolts". Many are welded in place. I believe that the OP mentioned that it would take some welding to make the change out.

BTW: "Bricks" are not considered safe for supporting weight.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Depending on the trailer and the axle, change outs are not always as simple as "removing 4 bolts". Many are welded in place. I believe that the OP mentioned that it would take some welding to make the change out.

BTW: "Bricks" are not considered safe for supporting weight.
You're correct, Bob, mine is most definitely welded on. But, hopefully one of these helpful leads will get me back up and running for the rest of the summer. Thanks again!
Old 07-06-2015, 05:26 PM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Suzy, I don't think that the lack of responses are because of being DIYers but more that the need of an axle change out is a lot less common for the majority here. Bob M did give you a good lead. I do think that most folks that change out a stock welded on axle have a plate added that allows the new axle to be bolted on for future replacement ease. Righty tighty, lefty loosey
Good idea about adding that plate, Dave, just in case something goes wrong with the new axle. It sure would make it a lot easier to fix!