got to get this thing home 745 miles - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #29
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I would highly suggest that you get a couple short orange soccer cones for like $3 each and pull into the first vacant parking lot, church, factory, business, whatever, set up the cones and practice with the trailer for an hour before going out onto the roads. You'll get a feel for backing up, turning radius, etc. Get up some speed and brake hard so you'll know how it feels. All things you will probably feel more comfortable learning in the safety of a parking lot rather than on the open road or if you get into a tough spot while getting gas or something.
That's a great suggestion

I've done the same thing with boats that I haven't handled before, or just for practice. Set out a couple of buoys and practice maneuvering without any million dollar yachts or hard concrete docks to hit. In that case it's "rubber docking."

Also, when I was a new driver in Minnesota, as a youngster, we would go out and practice in snow/ice covered parking lots, to get a feel for driving on slippery roads.

Definitely a good plan!

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off