Got tow vehicle, now which RV? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2007, 03:01 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Last week I traded my much-loved red Miata MX-5 2006 (only 4200 miles) for a 2005 Dodge 2500 tow vehicle, 5.9 Cummins diesel, Lariat package, capable of towing 13,000 pounds. It's a wine-colored long bed with matching cap over the rear--too big and powerful for most of the fiberglass trailers discussed except for one company Bigfoot.

While all the other trailers I've consider are used and not relevant to this forum (mainly Sunnybrook, Artic Fox, Nash and one New Horizons model mentioned below) the one new RV I might consider is a fiberglass model by Bigfoot at a local dealer. It's expensive for a trailer (list price $54,000) though I'm sure I can get at least $10 K off. The trailer is in Bigfoot's luxury 3000 line (well, you only live once and we're not getting any younger): a T-2400 with one slide.

One concern we'd have is a point Roger raised--that some bigger pickups can damage small fiberglass trailers. I'm wondering if that would apply in a matchup like this, since the Bigfoot isn't exactly small. We'd likely go with a Hensley hitch for secure towing. I'm not sure if the Dodge's height would be a problem either.

My wife didn't care for the Class B's we looked at (even the Sprinter) and small Class C's we looked at. She said they made her "claustrophobic" but she actually liked that Bigfoot. It's a four-season model, obviously well-constructed. It has three rooms (sort of), the bath area being separate and the bed-room semi-separate. With the slider, it looks highlly livable and seems spacious enough for two folks longer periods.

The kitchen counter could be slightly bigger but the there's more kitchen storage than in the small motorhomes we looked at (Most impressive B: sportsmobile. most impressive C--26 foot Lazy Daze--both 5 star rated in Consumer Guide). Extra storage is where the cap over the pickup could come in handy. We'd hope that the cap/24ft trailer/slidercombo might suffice for a full-timing couple IF we decide to go that way in the future (wife is against for now).

Here's a link to the Bigfoot I've been looking at:

http://www.ivccrv.com/database/inven....asp?id=322376

And here's a link to the Bigfoot site:

http://www.bigfootrv.com/bigfootrv_t...lers_3000.html

Our second most expensive option is a used trailer in a brand we might not ordinarily consider, given that they are expensive, custom-made and not discouted from the list price. It's a 2004 New Hortizons 24 footer. No slider but extremely well equipped. The seller is away but we've arranged to meet as soon as she returns.

http://www.rvsearch.com/findrv/index.cfm/a...260/vid-124968/
Frank G. is offline   Reply With Quote