Gotta get that lock fixed! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #1

Name: Marla
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Registry
Gotta get that lock fixed!

Quick trip over to Seaview, WA. with our "new to us" cute 17" Boler. Had one teensy issue, the door lock would not cooperate forcing us to break into our own trailer! Lucky one of the windows was open a crack.

Camping in the Sou'wester Lodge RV park. Funkadelic best describes this quirky place!
Vintage Travel Trailers - Sou'wester Lodge
marlaannyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #2

Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina
we had the opposite problem!

My husband is out of town and last weekend the girls and I went to the beach. There are so many things that I thought I knew how to do by watching him do it. Many funny stories. But the one that was the funniest, in retro, was the door. We had not gone a mile when we heard someone honking at us from behind. A suitcase had fallen out of the Scamp and a good neighbor chased us down. I had locked the door as instructed, but not had it fully latched! We knew right away that the three of us were going to be much like the Marx Brothers and we were.

Other things included a dented bumper from me backing up with to tight a turn. NOT knowing how to hook up to shore power. I am going to bear all and admit that I was looking for an extension cord! I did not realize the cord would pull out. [thank goodness for patient husbands and cell phones! and I immediately sent him a picture of the bumper!].

Laughter is the best medicine and we laughed a lot.
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Lets be grateful for good neighbors. I like your attitude. That bumper is just wear and tear.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Gotta get that lock fixed!

The door latch isn't the best on a Scamp. I always turn the handle, press in on the door to compress the door seal, and rotate the handle to the latched position. You can usually feel whether the tongue is extending fully or hanging up partway. If it hangs up, push harder on the door. Then a good tug to test and lock the door.

On the bright side, you'll never get locked out like the OP. Two Phillips screws remove the handle from outside, and you can manually turn the latch.

In any case I'm sure you'll never have this problem again- experiences like these make long memories!

When we were little my Dad backed up our tent trailer a bit too sharply, but being wider than a Scamp, it left a dent in the side of the car rather than the bumper. It was there as a caution until we sold the car.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Late thought, Jeff...

With Scamp latches, it's not a good practice to slam the door closed. It puts undue stress on the fiberglass where the striker plate is mounted, and it's probably not so good for the latch mechanism, either. Instead, turn the handle, push the door closed, then turn the handle back to the latched position.

It took some work to train my kids on this one.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote