GPS - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-20-2005, 09:54 PM   #15

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Left was going to be your second choice, right? er, left...

Old 11-20-2005, 11:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 1400
Send a message via AIM to Al-Nelson Send a message via MSN to Al-Nelson
Since last spring I have been using a GPS connected to my laptop and it is great system. The program I use is "Microsoft Streets & Trips 2005" with GPS. The program comes with it's own mini GPS receiver wich just plugs into your laptop USB socket.
In an unfamiliar city you just type in an address and it will give you a route from your present position. I find it especialy handy at night or in poor weather, saves a lot of missed turn-offs and backtracking. The whole system, including the computer program & GPS receiver cost me $100. Canadian. They are just coming out with the 2006 version which is virtualy the same so you can probably find one of the 2005 versions on sale. It's about the cheapest GPS system you can get, and it comes with detailed street maps of all of North America.
For info, go to: http: www.microsoft.com/streets/default.mspx

Old 11-21-2005, 07:53 AM   #17

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
Costco sells that Microsoft GPS receiver and software package for $95 or so. A good solution if you've got a laptop (and a ready location for it or a willing co-driver!)

Pat
Old 11-22-2005, 11:17 PM   #18

Trailer: 2003 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe / Volvo XC90
Quote:
Originally posted by Roy Bakehorn@Nov 18 2005, 06:34 PM
Anybody thinking about getting one in the near future and which one are you considering getting? Right now, I am leaning towards the Lowrance iWay 500C. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Are you confused yet? Many choices! A GPS receiver is second nature for me: one built into the car, a few handhelds (Garmin), and a bluetooth model that works with a PDA and a laptop. Travel, recreation, work--GPS receivers have lots of uses.

The iWay looks like a nice car unit but I can't comment on it because I don't use that type of receiver and I have never owned a Lowrance unit (they are more known for surveying equipment than consumer electronics). I recommend you check out GpsPasSion for good info on all types of receivers. Happy shopping!
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp_GPS_2.jpg  
Old 11-23-2005, 12:21 AM   #19

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Big Eddy, I like you sticker.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:03 PM   #20

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
I looked at one yesterday in Costco.I almost bought it then decided that I never used one before,and really never had any serious problems getting lost.
I would think they have to be updated all the time which could turn into a problem.
I tried Map Quest once and found that program out of date also.It told me to go on a road which I knew had not been used for 50 years.
I think a good map is all thats required.At least thats my thinking.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:28 PM   #21

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
Quote:
I would think they have to be updated all the time which could turn into a problem.
Actually, that turns out to not be a big problem. If you think about it, how many new roads are being built these days? Once a new subdivision I went to was just shown as a big blank area on my 5+ year old GPS database, and once in awhile it will show me driving along 200' off the Interstate which my lying eyes told me was wrong.

I do buy the Streets and Trips every two years or so as Costco has it for about $15 after rebate and its very useful for planning trips, and showing campgrounds and RV parks.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:40 PM   #22

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chester Taje @ Nov 23 2005, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Quote:
Actually, that turns out to not be a big problem. If you think about it, how many new roads are being built these days? Once a new subdivision I went to was just shown as a big blank area on my 5+ year old GPS database, and once in awhile it will show me driving along 200' off the Interstate which my lying eyes told me was wrong.

I do buy the Streets and Trips every two years or so as Costco has it for about $15 after rebate and its very useful for planning trips, and showing campgrounds and RV parks.
[/quote]

Ok---------Sounds good
Old 11-24-2005, 10:17 AM   #23

Trailer: 2003 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe / Volvo XC90
Quote:
I looked at one yesterday in Costco.I almost bought it then decided that I never used one before,and really never had any serious problems getting lost.
I tried Map Quest once and found that program out of date also.It told me to go on a road which I knew had not been used for 50 years.
I think a good map is all thats required.At least thats my thinking.
Maps work fine for most people but an auto-routing GPS receiver can do things like warn you of an upcoming turn, navigate you through a tricky interchange, look up the nearest gas station or parts store, and tell you how long it takes to get places. In unfamiliar territory and particularly at night when road signs can be hard to see, the GPS receiver makes it easier to drive. You feel like a local.

Updates are generally available once a year for $100 or so. I update every couple of years. Even where new roads are not being built, the data for existing roads are constantly being improved. Also, the "points of interest" (POIs)--waypoints like restaurants and gas stations--change more rapidly. Installing an update typically requires a PC to transfer the new maps and POIs to the receiver, although some units use data storage cards you buy separately.

On certain portable units you can also get topographic and marine maps if you spend much time in the backcountry or on water. You can also create your own waypoints and routes which can be extremely helpful. There are even sun and tide tables. Plus, handheld units have an "off-road" feature that simply points directly to the destination which is handy when hiking, boating, geocaching and even driving in places where you want to pick your own route on the move.

Your problem with the nonexistent road happens in some areas, usually rural, where the data has not been checked on the ground and relies on old information. I live in such an area and have been on some pretty interesting "roads." The more car-oriented navigation units tend to ignore roads that have not been checked although this can create other problems. IOW, I usually check to see where the unit is sending me before I plunge ahead.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:24 AM   #24

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Well i am "direction challenged' .. I need one but wont get one.... I have looked for the Microsoft Street and road maps but no one has it around here.. they have one choice @ $119 with the GPS.... will have to pass on that..
Old 11-24-2005, 10:25 AM   #25

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
really never had any serious problems getting lost.
Men NEVER have any problems getting lost. Every man I know does it ALL the time

Old 11-24-2005, 11:29 AM   #26

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
As any pilot will tell you, ALWAYS back up with a paper map!

I do some travelling for work and the Garmin eTrex legend C I bought has really bailed me out in the past. Nothing like having your position shown on a map for you when it's dark and you're in a totally unfamiliar part of the country. I have the mapping software and load up the map quadrants for the area I'll be going to before leaving. Something to think about if you go that route (I think I made a pun!) is that the GPS has a limited amount of internal memory, so if you are driving a long distance and go outside the area of the map you've loaded, you will be stuck with the spartan base map without all the details unless you have a laptop with you that you can load up the map for the curent area with.

I'll also vote for Garmin. I've had two of them, one aviation model and this eTex, and they offer far superior service should you need it.

HTH, Lee
Old 11-24-2005, 12:06 PM   #27

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
As any pilot will tell you, ALWAYS back up with a paper map!

HTH, Lee
As well anybackpacker will tell you. Not only back it with a paper map, back it up with a top map and compass. Just as important, learn how to use a compass and map. It takes a bit more than just grabbing a map and a compass.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:16 PM   #28

Trailer: 2004 Trillium Outback
Personally, I've never used a GPS while travelling on land. Maps have always been adequate. I've started using the internet site www.freetrip.com to break down the driving directions for different segments of any trip so that I've got distance and time estimates.

Robert B