GPS - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Thumbs up

At the risk of getting the same answer I got from my Mother in law when I asked why she didn't have a compass on her car, " Don't need one because I know where the hell I am going"

Is anyone using a GPS for trips?
I ask because I am going to fire my wife as navigator, and am looking for something to replace her with. ( in this respect only).
I would need the audio nag built in with "turn right at hwy 52" type instructions.
It would also be nice to use it backroad and maybe even for some hiking.
A sort of all around nice unit so to speak. There's lots of reviews but too much to wade through, so I'll ask here and see if there is any agreement on the perfect unit.

As a guy I would never need directions, but I've noticed that I am watching out so people don't crash into me while they are talking on the phone more and looking for where we need to go less.

This has caused some heated discussions that I would like to eliminate.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
pJanits,

I would still be lost in St. Louis from two years ago without GPS. And, while my hubby likes to plan the trips, even he has to admit that my GPS helped us find the motel on one of our trips. There is something comforting about the GPS voice telling us to make a turn, although both of us yell at the computer too sometimes. At least, it does not yell back.

My GPS is on my laptop though. I didn't plan it that way; they didn't have anything for my Treo when I was at the computer store two years ago. However, it is easier on my older eyes to see the larger screen. And I take a huge amount of comfort, when I am driving myself, watching the little green GPS arrow following the route I previously mapped out. And seeing exits before I get to them, so I can plan the lane I need to be in.

I would not be without my GPS now.

CindyL
Old 10-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2003 Casita Liberty Deluxe
We used the Garmin 660 for the first time on our last 2 1/2 week trip that covered Zion, north rim of the Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Durango, Electra Lake, Taos, Fish Lake, Arches NP and Bryce Canyon NP. Like any other GPS, it has pluses and minuses, but we are quite happy with it. We have had both Magellan and Garmin handhelds for boating and hiking and prefer Garming. (It's sort of like the Chevy Ford thing. We are Garmin people.) It has bluetooth and audible directions. You can even select a male voice if you would like to get totally lost! (Just kidding...making up for you firing your wife...as navigator!) Lot's of people use the Tom-Tom and really like it. I'm sure others will chime in. Good luck!
Chris B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:28 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
At the risk of getting the same answer I got from my Mother in law when I asked why she didn't have a compass on her car, " Don't need one because I know where the hell I am going"

Is anyone using a GPS for trips?
I ask because I am going to fire my wife as navigator, and am looking for something to replace her with. ( in this respect only).
I would need the audio nag built in with "turn right at hwy 52" type instructions.
It would also be nice to use it backroad and maybe even for some hiking.
A sort of all around nice unit so to speak. There's lots of reviews but too much to wade through, so I'll ask here and see if there is any agreement on the perfect unit.

As a guy I would never need directions, but I've noticed that I am watching out so people don't crash into me while they are talking on the phone more and looking for where we need to go less.

This has caused some heated discussions that I would like to eliminate.

I agree with your Mother in Law, and my wife is better than GPS.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:40 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
We have an old Garmin e-Trex Legend. It's tiny low-resolution monochrome screen means it isn't really practical to glance at while driving, and it has no audio at all, but it is still very useful to answer those "where are we" and "was that the right way to go at that intersection" questions. If I were starting from scratch and was willing to spend on luxuries, I would definitely go for a GPS intended for mounting in a car, with a big screen; I would choose it mostly on the basis of how well the controls are arranged.

I doubt anything convenient for handheld use makes a good dashboard unit. I could be mistaken, of course, but I would plan on separate units for the two purposes. Keeping them the same brand could mean re-use of any purchased detail maps.

It is amusing to look at the stored track and see it wandering around where the built-in map shows no road, while exploring the thinner and twistier lines on the paper map.

There is a difference in performance between GPS receivers. I used my Garmin and someone's Magellan in the back seat of a car for a while, and found that with the restricted view of the sky, the Garmin found the satellite signals and its position much faster, reporting higher position confidence (accuracy). That was two specific models in an unusual condition, so I'm not drawing any conclusion by brand, but it does illustrate that they're not interchangable.

Quote:
I agree with your Mother in Law, and my wife is better than GPS.
Sure, Ches, you know where you're going... but aren't there maybe two roads in and out of Grande Cache? How would you get lost?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
But if you don't get lost on a trip you're eliminating half the fun
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Greg, I agree with you. We do like " I wonder where that road goes to?" very much and will continue the practice, this is for when we need to be somewhere and are already late situations. (Of course I would never ask.)

Plus some of the gps units have points of interest suggestions that maybe I didn't even know exisited.
No point in missing anything as long as you're near there.
We found the whole Little House on the Prarie area by accident when going through South Dakota and had one of the best days ever.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:12 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I'm a GPS geek, with 5 or six of them in "inventory" at the moment. One for the sailboat with nautical charts, one for hiking/geocaching with topographical maps, two for the car (one being my previous unit that was replaced by the new giant screen unit) and a couple hand held units that are way past current but still functional.

A variety of "Me Too's" follow:

I, too, am a Garmin fan.

Many units from the same manufacturer use basically the same menu logic in each of their units. Sticking to units from one brand often makes using them easier because you don't have to remember a new menu structure.

I also agree that the hand held portable unit is almost always too small for the driver to safely use. Using a GPS is distracted driving at a minimum. I suggest something that can be located close to the normal vision direction is best. Obviously, it shouldn't block any vision outside the car.

Often, you can use a handheld to provide the fix to drive a lap top mapping system. I personally don't recommend a lap top for driver use because it can rarely be put up on the dash area. Good if you have a co-pilot though.

Don't underestimate the value of a color display, especially for the vehicle unit. So much more information is conveyed in a glance with a color unit.

Auto units need to be securely mounted. Some states (California for one) don't allow suction cups on the windshield.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:50 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sure, Ches, you know where you're going... but aren't there maybe two roads in and out of Grande Cache? How would you get lost?

Good one Brian
Old 10-28-2007, 06:59 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
But if you don't get lost on a trip you're eliminating half the fun
I know what you're saying. Getting lost is fun when you have the time. Sometimes the free time starts when you leave the driveway, sometimes the trip is just a necessary step in the vacation.

I often head out from a camp site heading wherever the road takes me. But then there comes a point when I'm done for the day and want to be back to the trailer. "No worries, mate!" the GPS knows where I am and how to get back.

Plus, while I love eating lunch at local diners and exploring the area is part of the trip, sometimes it's nice to know where the nearest grocery is, or heaven forbid, where is the nearest emergency or urgent care facility.

It's not a necessity but perhaps a nicety.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I use Delorme. The laptop on the seat next to me is fine, although I have looked at something to sit it on like the police have in their cars. I just glance at its arrow occasionally while driving, like you would look at the car next to you, and turn down the radio when I need to hear what the GPS is saying. If it needs serious study, I pull off. I will admit - on occasion, I still need to buy a local map for confusing cities and then will use the two together to get me through, making route adjustments as needed before I head into the town or to get out of the town if I am lost.

When we use it on a joint trip, I program the GPS and hold the laptop on my lap or at my feet.

CindyL
Old 10-28-2007, 07:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
We bought a Magellan Roadmate 3000T last spring and like it very much. We would not consider traveling without it now. We're still learning new functions and will never know how to use all its potential. It is a car only unit and if we were needing GPS for hiking I'd look for a dedicated, smaller, hand-held unit.
Tom Trostel
Old 10-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler 17 ft 1977 / 04 Explorer Sport Trac
Hi.
I am an enthousiast user of GPS. No, it's not a necessity. I have driven around Canada and U.S from north to south and east to west without GPS, and I could come back home. But now, I would no longer travel without it, for peace of mind. If you miss a turn, it takes you back on the right way .
Mine is a Garmin Quest. Small screen, but with a great flexibility of programming. I prefer to build my route on the computer and download it.
You need to refill the tank ? It says you where are gas stations around your place, and a lot of other informations.
Last winter I went to Texas for one month. I defined my route down there, and entered all campgrounds up to five miles each side from it.
You don't need to wonder where is the next turn, one mile ? ten miles? it tells you when approching...
I agree that could be funny to get lost when visiting the country,... but not a great fun when jammed in traffic in a big city.... It's the best copilot I have never known....Oh no ! no longer without my GPS !
Raymond Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:03 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
I use a Garmin C330 in my truck, and a Garmin Nuvi 350 in my Murano. I also have handheld units for hiking and Geocaching.

I'm well sold in these units as a navigating tool. They sure make traveling easier
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
I also have the Delorme in the laptop and last spring went for the handheld and it works fine as I have it mounted in a nest on the dash in my site line. you can plan your route and load it in and save many trips . The prpblem with it is is it has too many functions and is not user friendly. the hand held PN-20 dosenot have voice but beep signals one a short distance from your turn and 2 at the turn. After using it all summer I am just getting to know it. I am sure my grand kids wouldn't have any trouble with it with thier savy of electric gadgets. It has many funtions that can be displayed MPH, alt, dist traveled , to next turn ect. It is a gadjet!!
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:38 AM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
I would not travel without a GPS - and maps for fine tuning!

One example of the value of GPS. We were exploring the coast north of San Diego, going north and south, enjoying the sights, but when it came time to head back to base camp south of SD, we had no idea which was the best way to get over to I5 for the trip back, but the GPS did instantly. Yeah, driving to the nearest settlement to get its name, then a quick consult of the map would have also worked, but with these days of $3.00 gas I'm just not all that interested in backtracking any more.

Been there, got the t-shirt, prefer the alternative.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:11 AM   #17

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I have a Garmin 550 and will not go anywhere without it........... first let me say i drove semi's for thirty years and read a map very well so that was not the problem......... the problem with maps is that you have your thumb on the map where your at and trying to watch the road at the same time............. with the gps the road is lit in purple where you have it routed to and even shows you what lane to be in for your turns..... when everyone is in the vehicle with me (like leaving the airport when picking up guests) i can talk to them and just occasionally glance at the gps..... also when someone gives me directions to there house i just politely listen and then i just put there address in the gps and get right there.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:15 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I too have played with GPS receivers for several years and have had a number of them. The two brands that generally stand out are Magellan and Garmin. Kind of like Ford and Chevy. One other brand stand out on the wrong end of the scale, Cobra.

All the units and features are quite hard to sort out, depending on what you want it for. There's a unit made for joggers, a large number made for hikers. Some have features for geocaching. Some for drivers only complete with young female voice telling you where to go. Some for marine operation.

When I bought the first one, 1997 or 1998, "Selective Activity" was running. Once that was turned off on May 1, 2000 the whole GPS thing changed to make practical use possible, which I think is a good thing.

Two other points I'd like to make. 1. A GPS is only a tool that makes navigation easier. It cannot replace a road map, or more important for hiking, replace a map and compass. 2. Which ever brand or model you purchase it's only your first not your last.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
with help and consideration from another related thread on this great board, we have purchased a Garmin C330. Works great, but I still need convincing to be sure I can rely 100% on her. I say HER, because the voice promp we have opted to use is a female and sounds remarkedly like our next door (1/2 mile away!!!) lady named Linda. SO we tagged our GPS "LINDA!!!!.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 03:42 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
with help and consideration from another related thread on this great board, we have purchased a Garmin C330. Works great, but I still need convincing to be sure I can rely 100% on her. I say HER, because the voice promp we have opted to use is a female and sounds remarkedly like our next door (1/2 mile away!!!) lady named Linda. SO we tagged our GPS "LINDA!!!!.

The limiting item in vehicle GPS receivers is the mapping. If the mapping software is good the GPS will get you to the right place. Sometimes you might be routed through the neighborhoods on the wrong side of the tracks, so beware.

As for accuracy, one of the best way to learn how to use and how accurate GPS receivers is to go after a few geocaches. With a vehicle mounted GPS receiver you'll have to find those that next to a road, instead of requiring some walking. With a hand held you can find any of them. Goecaching.com is the place for geocaches. I actually didn't really learn to trust my GPS receivers until I found a few geocaches.