GPS - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #21

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I have a Garmin Nuvi 260W. I have updated to the latest software. There is no "Where Am I", on mine.

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:29 PM   #22

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
It will be there if you need it
That's just the point, Pete. I don't believe I need it.
I'll share with you what I have said elsewhere:
Quote:
Originally posted by Frederick L. Simson
[b]I am a Neanderthal. Sometimes I get all nostalgic for DOS. I tend to drive the cars I buy (on average) for 14 to 16 years before I am forced to replace them. ALL of my television sets have Cathode Ray Tubes. I still use VHS Videotape, as well as Audio Cassette Tapes. I still listen to vinyl recordings on a turntable.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #23

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Quote:
I have a Garmin Nuvi 260W. I have updated to the latest software. There is no "Where Am I", on mine.
I have seen that reported on the GPS Review forum. Apparently Garmin started loading newer (last three months?) devices with the software with the additional features. Why they gaven't provided that to all 260W owners is unknown. I would contact them and complain and see if they do something!
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 01:04 AM   #24

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The times when you NEED a tool like this are when you are well and truly lost, it's getting cold out and the fuel situation is getting grim OR when you or others have had some sort of emergency requiring immediate medical assistance.

You can't rely on cell phone triangulation in the boondocks because there may be only one tower receiving your call, which is almost as useless as no tower for RDF location.

Also, I have been riding with several people recently with GPS systems in their cars in the city (Seattle) and it is very handy there. However, let me be quick to point out that I avoid cities like the plague when I am towing a trailer.

Another good use is IF the navigation data base actually has NFS/NPS campsites loaded in it, but that's a big IF and not a NEED
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #25

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
This might be a useful tip:

Our GPS recently sent (suggested) us to the commuter fast lane while towing on the Santa Ana Freeway, not knowing of course we were towing.

It occurred to me that in settings I have Motorcycle, Auto, Bus, Truck and Pedestrian.

Perhaps when we tow I ought to use the truck setting to avoid route options that are not trailer friendly.

I'll let you know how that works out.

Does anybody's model have an RV setting to work from?
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #26

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
It occurred to me that in settings I have Motorcycle, Auto, Bus, Truck and Pedestrian.

Perhaps when we tow I ought to use the truck setting to avoid route options that are not trailer friendly.
Since there are signs saying "No Towing" at the entrance to most HOV lanes, I think that the "Truck" setting would be the most appropriate to use when towing. Another issue would be height clearance.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:57 PM   #27

Quote:
The times when you NEED a tool like this are when you are well and truly lost, it's getting cold out and the fuel situation is getting grim
I'm reminded of the tragic death of CNET editor Jim Kim in Oregon in 2006, and the ordeal he and his family went through, all of which could have been avoided with a $100 GPS. (Although there are always numerous events that contribute to an accident, the lack of a GPS was critical in this one.)

After seeing my in-laws, who are now in their late 80's but still very active, tolerate a very slow computer running Win95 for 10 years (that I had to maintain), and a Dial-Up internet connection for that same period (that I had to suffer through), I resolved to use our limited funds during our remaining life to make sure we used technology to make our lives the best that society has to offer (within our means to finance). Hence the new GPS to replace a working, but sorely dated, older one.

Having computer crashes, and waiting 5 minutes for a web page to load, and being unable to watch on-line video, drove this point home to me. I did, finally last year, get them to spend $300 for a new computer and an extra $10 a month for cable internet. Now if they'd only ditch analog cable and use the HD capability of their TV I'm sure they'd like the picture. Hope springs eternal.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #28

Trailer: 98 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Hi;

I would like to here about the maps and updates. The boss got a Tom Tom an One XL S. It cost about 250 and is not the bottom of the line but closes. It has no rural addresses. It will take us to my sister's in a town but wouldn't take us to the rural house number from were she was moving.

It can find our road but not our house. We have live here 34 years. It has no house numbers for this road.

This Tom Tom has no way of putting in a letter at the beganing of a house number. In this part of the state the rural house number have a N or W in front of the numbers.

The Tom Tom almost went out the window one trip. The maps are iffy on this model. On a trip to the next city the Tom Tom told us in a 1/2 mile we should make a sharp left turn. We stayed on the road and went around a left curve. On the screen it looked like we were off the road. I asked the boss how long the curve was there and he figured at least 20 years. I would think the maps should be newer then 20 years old. Don't throw your atlas out.

This model has a slot for SD card but no blue tooth.
Pat G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #29

Maps seem to be updated every year, and can be loaded on to your GPS for a fee. Errors discovered can be reported to the map database company if you want to contribute to the betterment of society!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:34 PM   #30

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I guess a GPS should be MANdi tory for MEN because "We won't ask directions"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:28 AM   #31

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Pat,

We have the exact same TomTom you have. I'm questing the number (direction?) before the address -

We live in a rural area, surrounded by amish/menonites - several farms all around. Our address directional is NW. (123 Smith Road NW) and our TomTom gets us home every time. Sometimes the post office, neighbors, community can change the street directional just by how they're used to hearing it.

Recently we went to my sister's cottage in the Huron National Forest in Northern Michigan. Pine trees as far as the eye can see. In her area, there are 54 cottages in a 10 mile radius. Kinda remote by my standards (even for a country girl!) The TomTom did want us to turn a few times along the way into the forest, but to it's credit, there were 'roads' there, but they were logging roads or fire breaks. The GPS told us we arrived 600 feet before we found the driveway.

I'm begging for my own and not to share my husbands!
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:41 AM   #32

My new GPS has 2009 maps. If anyone has a road that is incorrect in theirs, and wants to post the address or coordinates, I will plug them into mine and post the result to see if its been corrected.

There's no question that if you use a GPS you also have to have maps AND common sense to balance it all out!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #33

Trailer: 98 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Carolyn;

Have you added any maps. I have updated the maps put not added maps. I will check Tom Tom home before going to MN.
Pat G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:32 AM   #34

Patrick, it is my understanding that a GPS is what caused the Kim tragedy. He took a raod indicated by his GPS that had been closed for the winter. He and his family became stranded before he relized his error.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #35

My following it at the time, and research now, indicates James Kim did not have a GPS. He relied on maps and signs that showed the road over to the coast, but took a wrong turn and quickly got lost on the logging roads, and stranded in the snow. With a GPS they could have walked out on Day 1, I do believe.

Here's the thread on the Element forum where it was discussed. http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/sh...ily+Lost+Oregon I'm BigFoot over there! A bit of the timeline:

Saturday, Nov. 25: The Kims leave Portland for the Tu Tu Tun Lodge in Gold Beach. They are last seen eating dinner at a Denny’s in Roseburg, leaving around 9 pm to drive through the mountains to the coast. The Kims miss their intended turnoff. At about 10:30 pm, they instead turn west onto Bear Camp Road. Kati Kim describes the road as “confusing.” They see signs warning of possible snow ahead. It begins snowing. The Kims decide to turn back but the road is difficult to follow. Kati Kim describes snow falling hard as James drives the car in reverse back down the road with his driver door open so he can see where he’s going. At some point, the family winds up on a road that forks off Bear Camp Road. They continue about 15 more miles before they stop for the night. It is now about 2 a.m. Computer records show one of the Kims' cell phones receiving two text messages around 1:30 a.m.

Sunday, November 26: Snow and rain fall throughout the day. The Kims stay in their car, turning the engine at times on for warmth.

Monday, November 27: Snow continues, falling heavily at times. Again, the Kims stay in the car, running the engine briefly for warmth but they are low on fuel.

Tuesday, November 28: More snow and rain.

Wednesday, November 29: The weather starts to clear.

Thursday, November 30: The Kims take their spare tire and set it on fire for warmth.

Friday, December 1: The Kims burn all four remaining tires. Kati Kim reports hearing a helicopter nearby.

Saturday, December 2: James Kim makes a fateful decision to hike out to get help.

Aerial photo of area: http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/sh...mp;postcount=32
Old 09-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #36

Thanks Patrick. I was unclear about the details.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #37

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
My following it at the time, and research now, indicates James Kim did not have a GPS. He relied on maps and signs that showed the road over to the coast, but took a wrong turn and quickly got lost on the logging roads, and stranded in the snow. With a GPS they could have walked out on Day 1, I do believe.
My friends please DO NOT make the assumption that a GPS receiver would have saved James Kim, or would save you. The Kims didn't make one mistake they made a pretty large number of mistakes. Here the link to the Sheriff's report. It might be a good thing for everybody to read and understand the mistakes that were made.

Byron
Old 09-10-2008, 03:13 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Well, I did it. Bought a TomTom XL330. Seems to have a good rep and a reasonable price. No excessive features.
Just one more instruction manual to read.

baglo