GPS - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #29

Name: Patrick
Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty (Sold 2011)/ Honda Odyssey
Arizona
Maps seem to be updated every year, and can be loaded on to your GPS for a fee. Errors discovered can be reported to the map database company if you want to contribute to the betterment of society!

Old 09-09-2008, 12:34 AM   #30

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I guess a GPS should be MANdi tory for MEN because "We won't ask directions"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Old 09-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #31

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Pat,

We have the exact same TomTom you have. I'm questing the number (direction?) before the address -

We live in a rural area, surrounded by amish/menonites - several farms all around. Our address directional is NW. (123 Smith Road NW) and our TomTom gets us home every time. Sometimes the post office, neighbors, community can change the street directional just by how they're used to hearing it.

Recently we went to my sister's cottage in the Huron National Forest in Northern Michigan. Pine trees as far as the eye can see. In her area, there are 54 cottages in a 10 mile radius. Kinda remote by my standards (even for a country girl!) The TomTom did want us to turn a few times along the way into the forest, but to it's credit, there were 'roads' there, but they were logging roads or fire breaks. The GPS told us we arrived 600 feet before we found the driveway.

I'm begging for my own and not to share my husbands!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #32

Arizona
My new GPS has 2009 maps. If anyone has a road that is incorrect in theirs, and wants to post the address or coordinates, I will plug them into mine and post the result to see if its been corrected.

There's no question that if you use a GPS you also have to have maps AND common sense to balance it all out!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #33

Trailer: 98 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Carolyn;

Have you added any maps. I have updated the maps put not added maps. I will check Tom Tom home before going to MN.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #34

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Patrick, it is my understanding that a GPS is what caused the Kim tragedy. He took a raod indicated by his GPS that had been closed for the winter. He and his family became stranded before he relized his error.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #35

Arizona
My following it at the time, and research now, indicates James Kim did not have a GPS. He relied on maps and signs that showed the road over to the coast, but took a wrong turn and quickly got lost on the logging roads, and stranded in the snow. With a GPS they could have walked out on Day 1, I do believe.

Here's the thread on the Element forum where it was discussed. http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/sh...ily+Lost+Oregon I'm BigFoot over there! A bit of the timeline:

Saturday, Nov. 25: The Kims leave Portland for the Tu Tu Tun Lodge in Gold Beach. They are last seen eating dinner at a Denny’s in Roseburg, leaving around 9 pm to drive through the mountains to the coast. The Kims miss their intended turnoff. At about 10:30 pm, they instead turn west onto Bear Camp Road. Kati Kim describes the road as “confusing.” They see signs warning of possible snow ahead. It begins snowing. The Kims decide to turn back but the road is difficult to follow. Kati Kim describes snow falling hard as James drives the car in reverse back down the road with his driver door open so he can see where he’s going. At some point, the family winds up on a road that forks off Bear Camp Road. They continue about 15 more miles before they stop for the night. It is now about 2 a.m. Computer records show one of the Kims' cell phones receiving two text messages around 1:30 a.m.

Sunday, November 26: Snow and rain fall throughout the day. The Kims stay in their car, turning the engine at times on for warmth.

Monday, November 27: Snow continues, falling heavily at times. Again, the Kims stay in the car, running the engine briefly for warmth but they are low on fuel.

Tuesday, November 28: More snow and rain.

Wednesday, November 29: The weather starts to clear.

Thursday, November 30: The Kims take their spare tire and set it on fire for warmth.

Friday, December 1: The Kims burn all four remaining tires. Kati Kim reports hearing a helicopter nearby.

Saturday, December 2: James Kim makes a fateful decision to hike out to get help.

Aerial photo of area: http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/sh...mp;postcount=32
Old 09-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #36

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Thanks Patrick. I was unclear about the details.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #37

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
My following it at the time, and research now, indicates James Kim did not have a GPS. He relied on maps and signs that showed the road over to the coast, but took a wrong turn and quickly got lost on the logging roads, and stranded in the snow. With a GPS they could have walked out on Day 1, I do believe.
My friends please DO NOT make the assumption that a GPS receiver would have saved James Kim, or would save you. The Kims didn't make one mistake they made a pretty large number of mistakes. Here the link to the Sheriff's report. It might be a good thing for everybody to read and understand the mistakes that were made.

Byron
Old 09-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #38

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Well, I did it. Bought a TomTom XL330. Seems to have a good rep and a reasonable price. No excessive features.
Just one more instruction manual to read.

baglo