GPS - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 Boler
I have a off the shelf Garmin nuvi 255w. For some reason I can not find any listings for RV related stores or service centers. Ask it to find a donut store 300 KM away ,no problem, pet store or hair loss clinic easy, in need of an RV service center even in my own town ,nothing. I haven't checked every place in North America but it seems to be a non starter, no listing leading me to an elusive RV center. Odd concidering all most every RV'er seems to have one these days. Even boat marinas seem orphaned. Hope I don't have to break down and upgrade(translation -pay) the thing. It is a great unit just can't figure that part out. Open to suggestions.
Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I believe I saw a database as you describe at www.poifactory.com that you can download (free) and install in your Nuvi.

Bob
bobinyelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 1977 Boler
Quote:
I believe I saw a database as you describe at www.poifactory.com that you can download (free) and install in your Nuvi.

Bob
Emailed Garmin. Got prompt answer. Guess what. Aint no listings cause,,,,,its meant for automobile service! Duh? Last I looked a lot of cars use them on holidays and towing or rolling down the highway with an RV. They say buy a new model that is more truck related but still no real RV section on that one either. Are they nuts? They are totaly disconnected from their customer base. Hows the Tom Tom models? Mines for sale....
Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 05:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Fred Taylor... If they don't show you where RV. dealers, and stores Like Camping World and Cabellas are... I suppose they wouldn't show you to great, well planned, and run events like Bolerama either???
My GPS ( Generally Pleasant Spouse) isn't for sale though!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Mine's a Garmin StreetPilot C550. Yes it came with Cabella's and Bass Pro Shop but not other RV places. With the addition of Garmin's Mapsource programme on the computer I can download waypoints and so add the additional info that I need.

On another note...
I changed the parameters for the trip to Emily so that it would by-pass the major, 400 system multi lane, highways.
The darn thing took me right through the heart of Kitchener-Waterloo. Last place I wanted to tow a trailer. Sometims it's just out to get you.
PS Thanks for letting me see the Strumstick.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:20 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Hi Fred, try www.poifriend.com. You may be able to "load" rv poi's (points of interest) directly into your Garmin.

Start with these..for camping world

http://poifriend.com/poigroup.php?poigroup_id=2350
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 98 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Our Tom-Tom doesn't except letters in front of house numbers. In WI we have letters in our rural house numbers. It only would take four numbers. We went places that had five numbers in the address. Last Sept. we went to Lanesboro MN. I put the address to the campground in and we headed down the road. The Tom Tom told us that we have arrived and we were only 31 miles from the campground. This was one of enter level Tom tom's in the $200+ range. I think it was the worst buy of 2008. Don't throw your atlas away.
Pat G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Quote:
Our Tom-Tom doesn't except letters in front of house numbers. In WI we have letters in our rural house numbers. It only would take four numbers. We went places that had five numbers in the address. Last Sept. we went to Lanesboro MN. I put the address to the campground in and we headed down the road. The Tom Tom told us that we have arrived and we were only 31 miles from the campground. This was one of enter level Tom tom's in the $200+ range. I think it was the worst buy of 2008. Don't throw your atlas away.
we use a TomTom One 3rd edition and the one feature I like on it is that you can punch in latitude and longitude on it. many campgrounds are posting that on their brochures and web site now. A friend of mine that owns a Garman said he couldn't do that and I found that hard to believe.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:46 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I don't know what model Garmin he has, but I think it is a case of knowing how.

I have never seen a Gamin that didn't accept Lat/Long inputs.

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 03:55 PM   #10

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
CD, thats kind of the way I was thinking, I know Garmins supposed to be the benchmark for these gadgets and I couldn't believe it wouldn't do it
Old 07-31-2009, 03:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Tell your friend to tap the "Where to" and then keep paging down till he finds "Coordinates"

Bill K

[quote]
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote