GPS-global positioning system - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I just bought a Garmin 255w for street navagation , also can be used for hiking. Anyone else us GPS?
More info here http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/review/garmin-nvi-255w/

Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin_Nuvi_255W.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	24950
Attached Thumbnails
Nuvi_205W.JPG  
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Yep. I've got a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. Chose it because it has a magnetic compass (so you don't have to be moving to get a bearing), altimeter, and barometer (for weather prediction).

Get free Garmin maps here: GPS FileDepot and POIs here: POIfactory

Enjoy!

Pat
Patrick Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I bought the same system as Kevin for our trip down to Yellowstone Park last year. It worked great.

What's odd is that the moment I crossed the border into the States it showed the posted speed limit of any road we were on - super handy if you don't know the roads. However, nowhere in Canada does that feature work - but it must know the speed limits here as it does very accurate trip time estimations based on where you are heading too.

My only complaint was that gas stations were hit and miss for being accurate. You could be on a street with 4 gas stations and it would show the next one was in a different town.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I use a Garmin GPS-12 as input to my laptop computer. Been using it since October 1999.

I use a Garmin Nuvi 260W also. Been using it since 2006.

Can't leave home without one or the other.

I use Google Maps to plan a trip. Then download waypoints directly into the 260W.

Unfortunately "Jill" sometimes wants to go on a route that I don't, so she does a lot of "recalculating".

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Did you ever notice that after about the 10 th. "recalculating" she starts sounding sarcastic ?

Bill K

Quote:
Unfortunately "Jill" sometimes wants to go on a route that I don't, so she does a lot of "recalculating".
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
. . . it showed the posted speed limit of any road we were on - super handy if you don't know the roads. However, nowhere in Canada does that feature work - but it must know the speed limits here as it does very accurate trip time estimations based on where you are heading too.
. . .
Can it be programmed to alert you when the speed limit changes (or when you're more than x over)?
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Did you ever notice that after about the 10 th. "recalculating" she starts sounding sarcastic ?

Bill K
Sarcastic? Ours was actually yelling at us on a recent trip to New Jersey!
Diane G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
We got so much backtalk from our GPS that we named her "Gabby"
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
I use Nuvi's in both cars when on a trip. Got two identical units so each car has one and they both have a decent Bluetooth speakerphone and can play Audible book content too.

They drive me crazy when they do not realize I am off the route just to get GAS!
These have been around now long enough for this to be a feature they should introduce?
How hard could it be?

I also use various other models with a computer and Ham Radio APRS for vehicle tracking when on a trip.

Everyone I know seems to get a kick out of watching my progress as I drive.

I also use a handheld when in Colorado off the road.

I love GPS in concept.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
"Jill" has often told me “There is a better way”
Alan #1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
We got so much backtalk from our GPS that we named her "Gabby"
Our 'Linda' named after a lady neighbour who is 100% right, 100% of the time, seems to get snippier if we don't make a U-turn or 'go back' as directed....
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Why are they always given female names ? Ours is Maggie, after my aunt who always got her way, because she was the loudest.

I just got a Droid phone (So did the hubby). I love the GPS on this phone! It uses Google Maps, so you can follow the route via satellite if you wish (street level too supposedly, although I have not figured out how to do this yet). I have to name this one though. I am leaning towards my bossy older sister's name.

CindyL
Old 11-11-2009, 09:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Peter,

Not this particular model, it's pretty basic. However, I did find that I used the speedo on the GPS more then I did my speedometer.

My subaru speedo shows it's 7-8% faster then the GPS says it is. This is similar to the japanese motorbikes I had that always showed 10% faster (from other forums I have been involved in this seems to be the norm).

Quote:
Can it be programmed to alert you when the speed limit changes (or when you're more than x over)?
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #14

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
...our '37 Plymouth hot-rod's speed-o is not connected and the speed-o in the GPS is invaluable!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Our GPS (a European model) gives us excellent directions (most of the time), and announces in a female voice. Research shows that men listen more carefully to a female voice (wives would often disagree.... but think about subway and airport announcements?).
We love the over speed limit announcement features in speed trap areas, but ours did not work in Canada, either, even after changing over from mph to km. I don't know why. We were disappointed, as the little voice that says "please observe the speed limit" has helped us avoid tickets in little towns on the highway several times. The ever-changing, small signs on little highways can present a challenge, even when paying close attention.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:05 AM   #16

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Yea. I got a speeding ticket two years ago while towing our trailer up a two-lane highway on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington State, which has numerous switches from one speed limit to another, and I missed one.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:01 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
PeterH, Thanks for improving our Washington State cash flow, LOL.

I received a Magellan, (Maggie, what else) for Father's Day and my wife enjoys watching our progress on the built in map.

We also found it telling us to drive 6 miles to gas when we were across the street from a desired gas station.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #18

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
My husband loves his gadget. I like paper maps....and sometimes I want to get lost a bit. Just like I sometimes forget my cell phone on purpose. Sounds like they have it in all one package with the new "Droid".
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #19

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I love the phone and its navigation. I even use the navigation to get to my job just to use it.

CindyL
Old 11-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #20

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I think phone GPS will replace Garmin GPS in time.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote