GPS Navagation Devices - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Red face

Need ? While searching to see which GPS device I wanted to buy, I found two neat sites one is called GPS Tracklog and the other is GPS Magazine which give reviews and other info.
http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_t...-nuvi-760.html
http://www.gpsmagazine.com/
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
i have a Garmin and like it..would like to update mine tho... one of these days
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
We too have a Garmin (Street Pilot ...whatever number) we went to try and update it (at a shot of about $100, ball park) and found out its OBSOLETE!!!

Now HOW are we ever going to find our way to Taidnapam Park in June???
Attached Images

Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
http://www.gpspassion.com
Has loads of info and downloads.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:31 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
We have a Garmin Streetpilot 550. I can download waypoints from a Garmin Mapsource to a SD memory card, like the one in your camera, and then add them to the GPS.
I do tend to drive off course to view something I find interresting which infuriates the built-in voice.
Re-configuring, Re-configuring, Re-configuring.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
I can relate to that. )
The only way I found to shut it up was shut it off and start over.

Bill K

Quote:
I do tend to drive off course to view something I find interresting which infuriates the built-in voice.
Re-configuring, Re-configuring, Re-configuring.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I recently replaced my Street Pilot I5 (after a car wash attendant broke the power connection) with a Garmin Nuvi 760 (http://gpstracklog.typepad.com/gps_t...-nuvi-760.html)

I love it. One unexpected bonus is that I can use Audible (talking books) on it and that saves a lot of hassle with CD changing while listening to a book on the road. It also gets Traffic (though I need to buy the subscription- $60 lifetime- which I will do before I head for an actual city- I had a 60 day trial on it but as Fresno only gets traffic info during "rush hour" I'm waiting to make sure the Garmin doesn't break down before I spend the money for traffic (the T series comes with it.))

It has the updated maps, is Bluetooth compatible with my cell phone, and can use the FM transmission to play through the radio (though this is less useful when traveling as the clear channels constantly change and at night none of them are clear, so I usually have it set on its own audio.) (Which is not so good for the cell phone.)

One new feature I like is that it gives you the speed limit on the highway so you can always do a quick glance to see what it is.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Bobbie....
I just purchased a nuvi 760 also for my wife while i am still using an older c550 which is fine..... one of the features i like on the 760 is the ability to add latitude longitude co-ordinates. comes in very handy when someone gives you info that way to a parking spot in a campground ....... or when everyone went to Quatrzite and they posted the co-ordinates of where everyone was parked...... my next one will have that feature.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Registry
Here is a site with lots of useful hints for various models of Garmin Nuvi.

http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.g....html#page1text
Will M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
... one of the features i like on the 760 is the ability to add latitude longitude co-ordinates. comes in very handy when someone gives you info that way to a parking spot in a campground ....... or when everyone went to Quatrzite and they posted the co-ordinates of where everyone was parked...... my next one will have that feature.
Joe
That was one of the features I specifically wanted- I'd had several times where I knew coordinates and the old GPS wouldn't take them. It also allows you to mark a spot you found- like a parking spot at a mall, even! and find your way back (it can switch to pedestrian mode, though I have not tried that.)

One thing it does not have that I wish was there: a "gas" button, where you can push "gas" and go off the freeway without the GPS constantly trying to route you back on. This would last until the car was stopped, then the next time you restarted it would route you back to the freeway. (Or just a "hold navigation" until restarted- its easy enough to do, but annoying.)

But other than that it has what I wanted and more.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Joe,
I have nuvi 350 and I have latitude longitude in mine.
But then again I went to the garmin web page I downloaded a update, that may or may not have been when I got it.

Bill K

Quote:
Bobbie....
I just purchased a nuvi 760 also for my wife while i am still using an older c550 which is fine..... one of the features i like on the 760 is the ability to add latitude longitude co-ordinates. comes in very handy when someone gives you info that way to a parking spot in a campground ....... or when everyone went to Quatrzite and they posted the co-ordinates of where everyone was parked...... my next one will have that feature.
Joe
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Joe,
I have nuvi 350 and I have latitude longitude in mine.
But then again I went to the garmin web page I downloaded a update, that may or may not have been when I got it.

Bill K
Bill...
Thanks for that info as i am going over to the garmin page and look at the updates..... my c550 is not a nuvi it's a little bigger and rounded shape (it may have been called a street pilot,not sure).....hard to believe four years ago i paid $800 for it but i really like gps's and will always have one from now on.....so much easier to see what cross street is coming up.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote