GPS Track Logger - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Does anyone here have any recommendations on a standalone gps track logger that will also allow event (waypoint) marking?

I know this is becoming a big thing in the photo world, as my brother (Photo Nut) also has an older model that doesn't do the waypoint marking, but I'm looking for one that will integrate well (idiot proof) with a mapping system like google maps or mapquest.

What I'm looking for is something like the Trackstick II but one that has a way to manually enter a waypoint or event marker.

I need to be able to turn the thing on, take off on my ride, make a few stops, mark some locations, and then input into google maps to create a map of the entire trip. Inexpensive would be helpfull too, but we're willing to invest in a more expensive one if the quality and features were there.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Dan, try posting your question on http://www.geocaching.com/

The only thing close that I am aware of is a Bushnell "Back Track". Garmin make some pretty inexpensive hand held GPS's that will do as much and a bit more for not much more money..
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Dan, try posting your question on http://www.geocaching.com/

The only thing close that I am aware of is a Bushnell "Back Track". Garmin make some pretty inexpensive hand held GPS's that will do as much and a bit more for not much more money..
I second Mikes advice as they really know their GPS Stuff......... In my price range i bought a Garmin Vista Hcx (for geocaching)and with about 20 hours battery life and extremely good reception i am plenty happy and the backtracking feature works really well ................The garmin 60 csx while it is just as good if not a little better is more money......there are other good ones also and this is just a starting point for you..... I get all my handheld gps info there......hope you get the advice you need there.
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
I've been at the GPS game for some time. I started with Magellan and stayed with them You can get some very good deals on eBay. In our family we have a Magellan Sportrac and two Magellan Sportrac Color models. All have track and waypoint recording that we download to our laptop. Overall, I'm extremely satisfied with them. Service support has been superior.

Their biggest shortcoming is that due to their age, their internal memory is fixed, and not very large when one considers the side of Magellan topo map files. I would look for a model that has:

Display screen, preferably color
SD or SDHC slots for memory cards
track and waypoint capability
12volt charger and car mount

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler 1984
Exactly as Victor says.
I have a Garmin Street Pilot c550 that I can add additional map features and waypoints by downloading from a Garmin's Mapsource programme [We have Garmin Topo Canada] to a 2 gig SD card which I plug into my GPS. My son also uses these to download waypoints to his handheld unit that he takes back packing.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote