Grand Canyon North Rim advice - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
Nevada
Grand Canyon North Rim advice

I'm sure many of you have been to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Can I just drive up to the North Rim? I know it's 30 some miles south of Jacob Lake but is it gravel road or a paved road? Won't have an Egg behind me... but I can see one in my future! Thanks in advance for the help.
Chillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #2

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Its an easy drive. You won't have any problem getting there.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:32 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
It's a paved 2 lane road. Took us less than an hour to go from Jacob lake to the North rim (45 miles) We were there in early October. The NPS campground was full. I asked and was told they book solid. Folks reserve months in advance. Jacob lake was almost empty There is another NFS campground about half way between Jacob lake and the North rim. Enjoy, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #4

Trailer: Trail Michigante
Advice? DO IT! One of the most memorable weeks we ever spent!

Vic&Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #5

Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
Nevada
Beautiful pics. That sealed the deal! I can't wait to go. Thanks!
Chillywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Following is a quote from TripAdvisor.com regarding the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I could not have said it better. Although it is more rustic here the fabulous North Rim Dining Room is not to be missed. We had a memorable night of fine dining and rustic charm made more memorable by a loud/wild/cracking thunder and lightning storm that reverberated between the stone wall. I'll never forget it!

"The South Rim has the more familiar views of The Canyon, but the views from the North Rim are every bit as spectacular. What the North Rim has over the South Rim is solitude. Very seldom does one feel crowded at the North Rim. The highway leading to the North Rim is also the way out, so visitors have to backtrack. But the ride to the North Rim is better than any portion of the roads leading to the South Rim. The lodging is more rustic, but the architecture of the Dining Room of the North Rim Lodge is something to marvel at. The window seats are right on the edge, so it's hard to concentrate of your meal while watching the ever-changing play of light in The Canyon. Kaibab Mule Deer are often seen ambling amongst the cabins, and through the sites in the campground. The drive-to viewpoints are also awe-inspiring, but one doesn't feel herded, or crowded, as one often feels amongst the throngs at the South Rim. Along Highway 67 leading to the park entrance, you'll see Kaibab Lodge, to the west of the highway. It's worth a visit. The food is quite good, and the seating area around the enormous fireplace is just what you expect in a charming, rustic lodge."
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote