Great traveling this summer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2009, 10:27 PM   #1

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro
It has been a long time since I have posted on this great site. I just had to tell you about my great summer trips.
This years I spent about 5 weeks camping. One week was spent hanging out at our tree farm doing work all day and staring at the campfire in the evening. After using a chain saw or backpack sprayer up and down 600 ft hills all day, it sure was nice to have a comfortable bed to sleep in.

The next trip was to Northern Wisconsin for a week all by myself. This trip involved bike riding, kayaking, hiking, and more campfires. The bike riding and hiking were through some of the most beutiful state and national forests anywhere. I took both kayaks along. The 10 recreational kayak was used for fishing and some mild river running. The 17' sea kayak got the most use. I was on the lakes almost every day and according to my GPS, I covered almost 150 miles during the week. One day I was out during a pretty brisk wind with great waves. The 17' yak just bridged the waves and kept on going. I was out in the middle of one of the larger lakes when I heard a power boat coming my way. It turned out to be a forest ranger that had recieved a 911 call stating that someone was drowning in the middle of the lake. We had a discussion about the dangers of being out in 3 to 3 1/2 ft waves and he agreeed that I was having no problems. He made me do some cross wind travel and I showed him that I could handle the boat. Later that night he stopped by with some other rangers and we had a great talk about kayaking.

My major trip was 3 weeks long during which I dropped one of our daughters off at Fort Lewis College in Durango Colorado. We left Wisconsin and spend time in the Badlands, Black Hills, Rocky Mountains of Wyoming and Colorado, Pikes Peak, west to Arches NP, Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP, Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, and back home. The trip was a great oportunity to spend time with my daughter. We found some really nice campgrounds in the middle of nowhere. We always enjoy the primitive sites the best. Since our trip started the third week of August and I got back home the second week of Sept, most of the tourists had gone home for school. This was one of my favorite trips that I have ever taken.
I only had one bad incident on the entire trip: As we were entering Grand Canyon NP, we were driving through a construction site and I had to swerve to miss a bus rv pulling a full size 4 door 4 wheel drive pickup. The bozo was in my lane making a left hand turn and it was either pull over far to the right or hit him. The right wheel of the Love Bug went off of the pavement and into a huge hole that I could not see. (It was pouring rain at the time.) The jolt to the camper resulted in everything coming out of the caminets, the latch on the door broke, and 2 cracks opened up right next to the door. I was kind of bummed out but I refused to let this minor problem wreck our trip. We cleaned the camper up and put everything away. I had to use a bungee cord to hold the door closed for the rest of the trip. The next day, it dried out and I put duct tape on the cracks to keep most of the dust and rain out.
The Love Bug turned out to be the perfect camper for this trip. It stayed dry, warm, and made setting up and braking down camp very easy. On the hot days, the large windows provided good ventilation and nice shade.
The high temp for the trip was 115 degrees at Zion. The low was 5 degrees just west of Pikes Peak. We pulled the camper over 6 passes that where over 10,000 ft. he total trip was 5500 miles.

I hope that this post was not too long but I had to let people know what a great time we had.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:36 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Glad you enjoyed all your time out. THATS what it is all about!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Casita
This sounds like agreat trip. Have you been able to get your trailer repaired ok? Gina it's great to hear from you. Will you be coming the any of the Oregon gatherings this year?
Kathy Davisson is offline   Reply With Quote