Greets from the new guy. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2009, 05:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
We were moving toward building a teardrop when a fiberglass trailer landed in our lap. We're picking up our Lite House tomorrow. It appears to be in excellent shape. The only obvious problem is that the headliner is sagging. The former owner says that there was a leak around the vent that she fixed with some kind of magic RV tape. I'm guessing that I need to pull the trim and either re-glue the existing headliner or install a new one.

I do have a couple of questions: In each corner of the inside, there is a brass hook near the ceiling. Does anyone know what they are for? My second question has to do with the 6 conductor connector. Normally, these are used on electric brake units. Does the Lite House have electric brakes?

I'll post photos when I get it home.

Davie from North Florida.
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Davie!

How nice to have a fiberglass trailer just pop up when you need it, especially in Florida (they're seemingly not as common on the east coast).

Quote:
The former owner says that there was a leak around the vent that she fixed with some kind of magic RV tape.
I don't want to "rain" on your new trailer, but I would start by being skeptical of that repair. There is no "magic" RV tape that I know of that I would seal a vent with on a permanent (well, multi-year) basis. I get a hint of "quick fix." You may want to remove the vent and seal under the flange with something like butyl tape (this is a butyl putty that comes on a roll, not really tape).

If it was butyl tape that the previous owner used, but she just put it on the top of the flange, or around the edges, I still wouldn't consider that a proper fix. If there is a flange around the base of the vent (there usually is), then the vent should come out and sealant should be put under the flange. That's where it should actually be.

As far as brakes go, I don't know if they were added to every Light House trailer, but just know that a 7-pin connector is often used when there are not brakes. In that case, it's often used as a way for an extra wire so that the tow vehicle can charge the trailer battery.

Of course it can also mean there are electric brakes. I think you can just have a look under the trailer to check. If there are electric brakes you should see them, and wires, leading to the back side of the wheels. Then you would need a brake controller in your tow vehicle in order to make use of them.

Again, welcome!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:34 PM   #3

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
as to the brass hook...we had some hooks in an old VW campervan years ago...they were what the hammock for the baby/toddler attached to!!! don't know if yours are the same...but it was a great feature of those campervans.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Davie
Check out this link it explains the extra wires in the plug. (Amber turn signal lights .) Also it has a lot information on the trailer. Sorry no brakes. Hooks ? Check your floor for rot, once water enters a Litehouse it has no where to drain.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...house&st=20
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #5

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
Quote:
Davie
Check out this link it explains the extra wires in the plug. (Amber turn signal lights .) Also it has a lot information on the trailer. Sorry no brakes. Hooks ? Check your floor for rot, once water enters a Litehouse it has no where to drain.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...house&st=20
Eddie
Thanks Eddie - I'll check the floor carefully.
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Davie, Congrat's! How fun to have your camper plans change when one falls into your lap. Enjoy!

As for the hook things, is there a shelve that runs between the hooks? Cause I have seen a few trailers where there was a shelve for storage that a hammock type net stretched out in front of the shelve to hold stuff up on the shelve.

I agree with Raya, investigate the "quick fix" leak repair. It's not worth more damage if it wasn't fixed correctly. And there have been plenty of people repair vents around here, so if you find that it needs to be repaired again, you can get lot's of help here from those who have done it correctly. Again, Enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote