Grey Water Tote - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2007, 08:05 AM   #1

Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel and 1995 Bigfoot 2500 Shortbox Truck Camper and 1972 Compact Jr ('CJ') and 1974 Boler ('BB')
Hi everyone,

We just returned from our first outing with the 1987 Bigfoot 5th wheel and the week was great. Our command centre panel that reads the levels for grey, black and fresh water is not working and we didn't empty the grey water tank before setting up camp (will never do that again). A couple days into our stay, the grey water was full and backing up into the shower. As well, all the documentation that came with the Bigfoot neglected to say how big the holding tanks were (we're guessing about 15-20 gal) .

Our camping neighbor had one of those plastic totes on wheels. I had seen a post about the pros and cons of these things and would like to read it again or if anyone else has any other suggestions for emptying this tank without pulling up camp, I'd appreciate it.

We still love our Trill, but the extra room was wonderful in this unit.

Thanks everyone,

Brenda
Attached Thumbnails
Resize_of_117_1724_IMG.JPG  
Brenda Novakovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:18 AM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
hummmmm. Not sure what conversation that was, but I really like the idea of using the blue tote. I use a 10 gallon model and it is easy for me to handle A larger one would be too heavy to lift, but will attach to the hitch if you don't have that far to go (either dragging it to the hitch or to the dump station). Some of the trailers are so low to the ground that a larger one is difficult to use, but I don't think you'll have that problem, though.

For towing to the dump station, Steve L. came up with his M.O.A.T.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Brenda, see the Blue Tote Project PDF here: Blue Tote Project
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:30 AM   #4
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
For towing to the dump station, Steve L. came up with his M.O.A.T.
Thanks for posting that, Suz. I had forgotten about the flames!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:11 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Castle Pretentious' unofficial motto is Wretched Excess. No item, no matter how humble, can avoid being overdone by someone. I guess I stepped forward on the blue tote.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I actually spied one of THESE when in wally wold to buy a new battery.

I stared at it for a second and went IT'S PERFECT! for small dumps throughout the day or even a few right after each other. No hose to hook up, just pull the valve and it hits the top and drains into the hole.. just like oil does!

I am small, so it is just what I can carry, no spills and the "hook" drian in front rests on the toilet seat of wherever you are dumping... no splash, just tilt!

They make bigger ones.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:55 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler
Actually, Gina, I'd be a bit concerned about the customer reviews on the cited link. Three out of four suggested that leaking was a major issue!

Don
Don & Viv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:52 AM   #8

Registry
I have not had a problem, but we are talking grey water here. A drip or two is not a big issue. It's going to happen with just about any tank. The tenters certainly do way more dumping than I ever would.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 20 ft 5th Wheel and 1995 Bigfoot 2500 Shortbox Truck Camper and 1972 Compact Jr ('CJ') and 1974 Boler ('BB')
I LOVE the flames on the side of that tank! That could climb over anything. That's one mean hauler!

Kudos to Jackie with her remote laundry detergent bottle on wheels

Thank you for the replies.....I also like the Handy Water Tote like Ches has - a trip to Wal Mart is on the agenda.

Brenda
Brenda Novakovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
Gina
I've had a couple of these, and can't understand why Blitz won't improve them. Some of the other things they make
(gas totes, open oil pans, etc) are OK. You're right - the design and idea are great. But the center plug needs about
one more turn of threads to seal. Just when you think it's almost tight, it jumps back a full thread. Ditto the drain cap...
you cannot tighten it. Since the drain cap faces down, you have to carry the thing flat out in front of you with your arms
extended...hard to do even if half full.
I bought the second one of these because I thought the first was just defective. After working at AutoZone, I can tell you
that none of these have adequate threads on either opening.
P
Palmer M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:13 AM   #11

Registry
hmnnnn maybe I am not manly enough to break it...

I have used it about 10 times with nary a drip. Maybe they HAVE improved it?

at what I paid.. if it developes a leak, it's not a big deal. Toss and buy another.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1996 Dakota 4x4 V6
Good for you Gina. I hope you got a good one and I hope they HAVE improved it.
I still use mine for used oil, but can't carry it the way it is intended.
Of course dripping a little water is not like leaving a trail of oil droplets on the floor of an
auto parts store...maybe Blitz should keep up the bad manufacturing and market this
product to a different market!
P
Palmer M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #13

Registry
maybe water doesn't effect the threads.. ???

either way, this is going to replace my expensive 5 gallon tote along for gray water, and the tote along will be "reduced" to black, as soon as I fashion a proper pouring spout for it.. (even tho the oil tote is black.. this could get confusing!) The tote along opening is not threaded, but I have the multi function sewer tube end that will sit inside the lip.