Grizzly kills camper in Yellowstone - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2010, 04:38 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Grizzly kills camper in Yellowstone

OK, maybe I'm on thin ice here, but I want to say clearly, up front, that I'm terribly saddened by the death of that camper and the mauling of the lady, by the Grizzly, just recently in Yellowstone.

I, and several others here, have recently been up to Yellowstone. Here's my question; why in God's name would anyone go out and camp in a clearly posted Grizzly Bear area and especially in a tent? What are they trying to prove?

Knowing that Black Bears can be in an area is one thing, and I wouldn't even do the tent thing there, but typically they aren't as aggressive as the Grizzlys , are they?

I love nature and love seeing the wildlife, but what's the point? Help me out here.

Keith Williams
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Thanks, this was the first I heard about it. FYI: You can read a bit and see the Associated Press video here:

Update: Grizzly caught after fatal Montana mauling; Yellowstone area on edge - TwinCities.com

It looks like there are 27 different campsites in that area, which is marked "Grizzly Bear Area - Special Rules Apply," but camping there isn't uncommon. Folks in 3 different tents were attacked.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul / 02 Mazda pick up
I would think that's like playing in the traffic.
Bud Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have tented hundreds of nights in bear country, though pretty much exclusively in the backcountry where the bears are still more frightened of humans than the other way around. I have never had and issue, though have seen quite a few bears.

It is the ones that are spoiled by what living near humans offers that is the problem. They did make it sound like there was no real provocation for the bears action. Kinda strange.
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Kennedy View Post
I would think that's like playing in the traffic.
Like the drive to the campground.
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:40 PM   #6

I just read the clipping and that is just freaking bone-chilling. Camping in there just baffles my mind. Call me chicken...i don't need to commune with nature that much.

Thanks,

keith
Old 07-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Many people tent camp in Yellowstone and other Nat'l Forest campground in the area. Mainly because this was a very rare event, perhaps a one of a kink attack. Very sad. Seems like it was not a provoked attack at all, they were sleeping in their tents, hard to provoke doing that IMHO. It happened in a Nat'l Forest campground close to Yellowstone boundary but not in the Nat'l Park.

3rd victim identified in Montana grizzly mauling | Top AP Stories | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Can't blame the people, but likewise, I would not want to be tent camping up there.

Hope they have captured the correct bears, mother with cubs.

A very sad event and should remind all of us camping in areas such as this, it is a wilderness and the rules can be rough on man there.

Be careful out there folks!
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Sounds like an unusually bad bear. But still, I know how you feel. I tented in Yosemite one night 3 years ago, and about 5:00 am was awakened by the loud sounds of a bear trying to break into a nearby bearproof trash container. BANG, BANG, BANG! Accompanied by snuffling sounds. Scared the you-know-what out of me. I am in no hurry to do that again!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
it's probably the smell of food that provokes the aggression in the bear....they smell what you have and then decide to fight for it ......sorta
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
There's something about a woman at "that time of month " that can cause something too I think....I've read something before about that .
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe Deluxe Side Dinette
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
There's something about a woman at "that time of month " that can cause something too I think....I've read something before about that .
LOL!!!!!!!!!!
Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Keith, What people don't understand, tent, rv, car, house, whatever if a Grizzly want's in then no rv, car or home door is gonna stop them. And yes bear proof trash cans are nice but even they are not completely bear proof!

It was a very sad animal/human encounter. My thoughts and prayers for all involved.

Many years ago, I was invited to a luncheon in a very exclusive area of Aspen (my eye went straight to the Subdivisions common trash area) You can invite the girl to your bazillion dollar home but you can't take the dumpster diver out of this girl even though I was dressed for a upper crust luncheon. I knew I wanted the beautiful patio furniture set that had been taken to the dumpster by someone who had more money than brains. But figured to show my manners and wait till I was leaving the luncheon before being the hillbilly I am and dumpster diving for that beautiful patio set. Since it was a gated area I knew it would be there, so I composed myself and waited, well coming down the hill towards the common trash area I was getting so excited (I knew I was about to score a basically brand new, top dollar patio set) Well, I parked started to jump out of my truck when something caught my eye. Not 5 feet from my truck to the patio set, and in between me and the patio set was a Mommy Griz and 2 cubs who were in the process of going thru the dumpsters. I got my rear back in the truck and debated how to move the grizzly's so I could get my new patio set. LOL....... I finally gave up! Figured I wasn't gonna score this time and went on my merry way............ minus a new patio set.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #13

Robin, that's scary but hilarious too. I don't care how much money I ever have (which probably won't be that much) I always have an "eye" out on trash day. More than once I've stopped and tossed something in my car and slipped away. Oh, my innards are vibrating.....I think I've been "Green" and didn't even know it. Pray for me...I don't want to be a Yuppie, oh please help me.

EKW, junker at heart
Old 08-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #14

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Williams View Post
OK, maybe I'm on thin ice here, but I want to say clearly, up front, that I'm terribly saddened by the death of that camper and the mauling of the lady, by the Grizzly, just recently in Yellowstone.

I, and several others here, have recently been up to Yellowstone. Here's my question; why in God's name would anyone go out and camp in a clearly posted Grizzly Bear area and especially in a tent? What are they trying to prove?

Knowing that Black Bears can be in an area is one thing, and I wouldn't even do the tent thing there, but typically they aren't as aggressive as the Grizzlys , are they?

I love nature and love seeing the wildlife, but what's the point? Help me out here.

Keith Williams
Keith The following is submitted a little tongue in cheek, but only a little. My wife and I backpacked in New Mexico, Arizona and Colorado for a period of approx 20 years. My wife was always concerned that we might become "bear bait" even though there have been only a very few documented sightings of grizzlys in the three states combined. My point to her, and others, is this; each year several persons are abducted from malls and shopping centers all around the country and killed. To consider camping in a tent in known bear country as high risk, although I don't recommend it, is somewhat a matter of perspective. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
Keith The following is submitted a little tongue in cheek, but only a little. My wife and I backpacked in New Mexico, Arizona and Colorado for a period of approx 20 years. My wife was always concerned that we might become "bear bait" even though there have been only a very few documented sightings of grizzlys in the three states combined. My point to her, and others, is this; each year several persons are abducted from malls and shopping centers all around the country and killed. To consider camping in a tent in known bear country as high risk, although I don't recommend it, is somewhat a matter of perspective. Lee
I understand all this, I'm just saying that personally, I don't like tempting fate in some cases. I've certainly taken plenty of risks, and will do so again, but this one has always scared the "stuff" out of me. Whatever flips one's skirts up, is my philosophy.

Thanks,

Keith
Old 08-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Read this account of the attack from someone who says they were there:

Grizzly Bear Attack « Adventure Retirement
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
I want to say that this is really sad news. What a horrible experience for these poor people!

I recently got back from several weeks in Montana. I was dry camping all alone at a dog training site about 4 hours away from Yellowstone. My biggest worry, when airing my dogs at dusk and early morning, was meeting up with a black bear. I tried to keep my dogs close to me and get them back into their crates ASAP. Any dog needing to "air" after sunset had to wait till morning. I felt safe in the trailer, but am very aware that a hungry bear could force his way into either my car or trailer if he so desires.

This is my second time in Montana (4 years ago, I spent a month using a friend's trailer while training in the Ronan Valley). During that trip I heard lots of stories of bear encounters and never ventured out in the dark.

Regarding weather, I experienced an extremely cold and rainy spring in Montana. Overnight temperatures at the training site dropped into the 30's. I very well understand why the grizzly bears at Soda Butte had become desperate.

Next trip, I think I'll take some bear/pepper spray.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
Read this account of the attack from someone who says they were there:

Grizzly Bear Attack « Adventure Retirement
Thanks for posting this link. Very informative and it just reafirms my beliefs about all this. If I HAVE to sleep in Bear country, be sure, I'll be in a hard side with some fire-power at hand. It might not stop one, or some of the other POS's on the prowl these days, but someone will have a bad day at the least.

Just hope it's not me or mine or other innocents.

Regards,

EKW
Old 08-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #19

I guess it like being in the smoky Mt. and running up on a mother with club's...four or five jump out of there car and race after her to take a picture,
Emmitt G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #20

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
After reading the 1st hand account of the bear attack it brings a question to mind. How sturdy are these little eggs against 4 footed or even 2 footed predators? I have seen video of bears tearing into vehicles etc so nothing is gonna stop one of them entirely but what about smaller predators like Mountain Lions, Wolves etc? My folks live in WY and once we have our little egg we want camp summers in that part of the country so I'm curios as to just how touch molded figerglass is compared to the sticky built RV's? Those that have done complete renovations will probably have a good idea about how tough these little trailers are.

Thanks for any input,

Melissa
melissab is offline   Reply With Quote