Ground clearance??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: in the market
Washington
Ground clearance???

Great forum, recently discovered. Am looking for my first FRV 13-18 ft. and without spending 100 hours researching, thought I'd ask here first.

Will use this for hunting, fishing, camping expeditions. Plenty of tow vehicle, concerned about rough roads, trails; you know, overall ground clearance. Some of these appear to have very, very limited clearance.

Is there a specific model, manuf I should target to maximize this. Not too wrapped up on interior, etc.

Any and all help is appreciated.

JimBob
jime444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
All trailers should tow level when hooked up to the tow vehicle.
Before new axle
Name:   scamp1.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  7.9 KB
After new axle Click image for larger version

Name:	camping014.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	35547
I would just change the axle if it's to low.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #3

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Kevin K great shots worth a thousand words
and wellcome to jime444
Old 05-01-2011, 10:58 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

JimBob, Also take into consideration when taking them on rough roads, besides overall ground clearance, most if not all these fiber-eggs have a single axle torsion bar suspension. Taking them on rough roads can really scramble things inside them, if not anchored down/secured.
Dexter or one like them: Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - Torflex Axles

We have a Scamp, which have 13" wheels and as far I know can not be order with a high lift kit. Only ones which can be, it seems, are the Casitas. They also have 14" wheels, and 15" wheels can be order as well.

Yes, You will want tow the trailer as level as possible as well.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Jimbob;

I always flip the axle (springs above the axle) to gain ground clearance for the trailer body. The only option to gain ground clearance for the axle itself is to go to large rims and larger profile tires. Just make sure they fit in the trailer wheelwell. In addition, get an adjustable trailer hitch so that you can tow level.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #6

Victor, all very true if one has springs. However, with Scamps & Casitas, they do not have springs to flip, the torsion bars are the springs. True large rims and larger profile tires would work, but only as far as they fit in the trailer wheel well is very true as well. On the Scamps, the wheel well doesn't allow much leeway. I have gone up a size in tires but not in wheels. Be nice to have at least 14" wheels...
Old 05-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
You'll have to take the axle off and then weld square tube to the frame and then weld the axle to the square tube. Or you can take the axle off and try to find or have a leaf spring axle assembly made to fit the trailer,that's about it.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
Victor, all very true if one has springs. However, with Scamps & Casitas, they do not have springs to flip, the torsion bars are the springs. True large rims and larger profile tires would work, but only as far as they fit in the trailer wheel well is very true as well. On the Scamps, the wheel well doesn't allow much leeway. I have gone up a size in tires but not in wheels. Be nice to have at least 14" wheels...
What do you mean you went up a size in tires but not in wheels?

What size trires do you have?

What is the maximum size tire you can fit?

Thank you,

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:16 PM   #9

Indiana
He went with a taller tire, tires come in different widths and heights even though the rim is still the same.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
TIRE HEIGHT CHART
TIre Height Chart
http://simonstires.com/TireHeightChart.aspx
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #11

Yes, tires are still 13" but the next step up in height: ST185/80R13
Our Scamp 16' came with ST175/30/R13 Goodyears, we discovered a knot from what appears to be tread separation.
Old Posts about going there:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...6-a-29677.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...r13-29686.html

After we had one of these Maraton Tires go....we now have a Greenball tire on.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...own-39332.html
Greenball Transmaster ST185x80Rx13...made in China but it looked good. So far it is doing well. See what happen this year.

May try to find a 14" tire which would fit in the wheel wells....haven't started looking or doing any research yet. The tires going bad have been the ones on the right side were so much of the heavy stuff is located....fridge, hot water, sink/stove, fresh water, microwave, pot & pans, etc.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #12

Indiana
Good luck with that Chinese junk, I put four Chinese tires on my stepdaughters car and they never made the first year, off brand crap called "Good ride".
Old 05-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #13

Here's a new post from the camping section:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post247903
Old 05-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #14

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Trailer tires are strange creatures for sure. It does seem that the curb side ones seem to self destruct more often than the other.
Probably from the excess weight on that side as well as damage occuring from that tire leaving the road from wandering on narrow roads or from hitting the curbs on turns
On a couple of the tire forums, the two brands that "Seem" to give the least trouble are the Kumho (Korea) and the Maxxiss (Thailand).

I can't understand why Casita puts all the potentially heavy stuff on the one side. Sink, fridge, stove, closet, awning, and fresh water tank as well as the outside storage where the jack and other heavy things will most likely end up. The street side does have the water heater, power supply, side dinette and toilet. But it doesn't "seem" to be proper weight distribution. Just filling the fresh water tank can add 128-160 lbs of weight to the curb side. Filling the fridge can add a lot also.

We try to compensate by having our tools, jack, and so forth under the side dinette across from the kitchen stove and over the axle to help ballance. Plates, pots and pans ( minimum ) and canned goods go in front of that. The only way we would know for sure if we are doing the right thing would be to have some scales to weigh each end of the axle seperately.

Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #15

Indiana
That is kinda crazy Kip, considering the crown of the road is the street side of the trailer. The Boler American has everything except the fresh water tank on the street side.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:35 PM   #16

Name: James
Trailer: in the market
Washington
So you're telling me.......

Thanks for all the info; though, it appears that I'm pretty much to my own devices on getting additional ground clearance. That is, I remove the torsion axle and add a solid axle with leaf springs or equivalent. Also, go up in tire size, if the wheel wells will support it. Ouch, by the way.

Any manufacturer's kit or aftermarket availability of such a set-up? I would certainly think there would be a little demand for such a product.

Wow, maybe I just invented a new business, eh?

Thanks.
JimBob
jime444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:21 AM   #17

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jime444 View Post
Thanks for all the info; though, it appears that I'm pretty much to my own devices on getting additional ground clearance. That is, I remove the torsion axle and add a solid axle with leaf springs or equivalent. Also, go up in tire size, if the wheel wells will support it. Ouch, by the way.

Any manufacturer's kit or aftermarket availability of such a set-up? I would certainly think there would be a little demand for such a product.

Wow, maybe I just invented a new business, eh?

Thanks.
JimBob
Right after getting our Casita, I had the wheels and hubs off to repack the wheel bearings. It appeared to me that the spindle arms on the Dexter axles were at an angle allowing the trailer to sit a couple of inches lower than when new.

A local cargo trailer dealer carries all sorts of trailer suspension parts and also works on them. Dexter is one of their main brands. The guy broke out his parts book with pictures, and as it turns out the arms on mine match (pretty close) to one of the choices. There were other choices (angles) that would raise the trailer frame several inches. Replacing the axle, with brakes, would cost about $500 with them doing the work.

Another less expensive idea would be a thick spacer (of your desire) such as "I Beam" or square beam could be welded to the bottom of the frame and the axle attached to the bottom of that. Or a truss could be built and installed to raise it even more.

Seems to me that our FGRVs are sitting as low as possible, to push as little wind as possible, keep the center of gravity low, and still be able to drain the gray and black tanks. Raising the trailer could have both good and bad consequences.

Kip
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote