Group Buy of LEDs to replace incandescent bulbs - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-27-2011, 07:43 AM   #15

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape 19 ft (sold) Escape 21 May 2014
Wisconsin
Registry
I am wondering about the inside use of these bulbs, particularly where they are being used in a surface mount fixture. I would use the T-10 mini wedge bulb for example, in this case if I used this bulb only three of the LED's would be pointing down to illuminate the area directly under the bulb. Approximately 1/2 of the illumination will be going back into fixture. Now a reflector may help some but it seems like much of your light is going to be lost.

I think people will be disappointed in the low light output when using these bulbs in the interior of a trailer with a surface mount fixture.

Depending on the location of the fixture I would think you would want a reading light that uses a flat bulb. Now all the light is directed downward toward the user. So, for uses in areas over sinks, beds, tables and to improve brightness the flat bulb maybe a better choice.

Below are the bulbs for comparison. Note the round bulb is not the identical image of what is being offered, I used this image for ease of viewing.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #16

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Paul,
I use two of the bulbs you show above with the flat disc and ten LEDs on them. They were $14.95 each from Superbrightleds.com They aren't quite as bright as the incandescent bulbs they replaced, but bright enough for us to use everywhere except over our dining table, where we like the extra light.

WLED-xHP10-DAC Specifications

For comparison, I use one of these square ones with nine LEDs. In use it's about like the ones above but isn't quite as simple because it has to rest on the lens and has a long cord that must be tucked around it, plus it cost $21.95. It's listed as having more lumens, but the difference seems negligible.

T10 PCB series LED Lamps Specifications

Old 01-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #17

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape 19 ft (sold) Escape 21 May 2014
Wisconsin
Registry
Ray

I have the identical bulbs as you and from the same source. I have replaced eight inside bulbs with the flat WLED-xHP10 bulbs. Before installing I purchased three of the bulbs and tested with the incandescant bulbs that were original. I thought the light was very close in brightness and color after using LED's. Now, after a season of use we have found the bulbs give the trailer a very comfortable and well lit feeling. Of course the more lights on, the brighter the trailer is.

I had an older model of the flat square circut board model you describe. I used it as a porch light and believe it is marginal. Some of this could be age, LED's have improved in the past five years and I may just have older versions or it maybe the design. I also do not like the lack of stability in connecting it inside the fixture. You have to use something like a double stick tape.

I repeat again that I do not think outside bulbs being offered will work in many situations for inside use. The flat models generate much more light in a specific direction, and be purchased with different light angles and different colors such as cool white and warm white.

The superbrightled web site is a good source for the bulbs. They do cost more however but reasonable shipping and coming out of Missouri I found fast 1st class mail shipping.
Old 01-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #18

Name: Rick
Trailer: former Boler, now 1980 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Smile

I think it is a good opportunity for people to reduce the power consumption in their trailers from these incandescent 12V lights in common use, the 1141 and 1156, which are virtually identical. Our Trillium has about 10 of those bulbs in the interior lighting as original equipment. Thanks for getting the reduced price.

Since I have an electronics background and am really cheap to boot, I went a slightly different way. I found the “G4” type, 25 LED warm white lights on eBay for $3 each, including shipping. Picture below. I thought I would try 5 of those to start, to see whether they looked good and would give enough light. Obviously, these do not have the 1141/1156 type base, which is called a BA15 or BA15s (for single). So, I ordered some of those empty bases, also off eBay, at 20 pieces for $9 including shipping. When they come in, I will solder either one or two of the lights into each socket.

I got the LED lights in the mail yesterday, and hooked one up to test. It gives a pleasing colour very similar to an incandescent bulb. Without measuring, it seemed to me to be about 2/3 to 3/4 as bright as the 1141 bulb I used to compare it with. It was very bright, giving me spots in my eyes if looked at directly. The light also spilled around all over, just like the 1141 bulb. Since the fixtures are designed with reflective backs to accommodate the old bulbs, I think it will work very well. In places where I want a lot of light, I will solder two of the lights into the same base, as they are a bit smaller than the 1141 glass enclosure.

The big advantage is power. When hooked up to my 12V bench power supply, the 1141 bulb used 1.35 amps of current, equalling 16 watts of power consumption. With ten of those in the trailer, that is a significant drain on the battery.

On the other hand, the LED light used .085 amps (or 85 milliamps) of current, equalling a power consumption of 1.02 watts. That means I could run 16 of the LED light bulbs for the same current draw as one of the traditional 1141 bulbs. That seems worth while to me, since I want to charge mostly on solar when boondocking.

The LED current consumption also varied with voltage, from a low of about 8 milliamps at about 8 volts to about 95 at 13.5 volts. The LED is rated higher for voltage but I did not go higher. So, at 13.2 volts, which is a fully charged battery, it is more or less equal in intensity to a standard 1141 bulb, at about 1/10 the power.

Even better: The variable voltage experiment led me to realize that you could use a standard dimmer with LED lights, as it gave a very smooth increase in brightness as I increased the voltage, at least once I got above the 8 volt threshold. I don’t anticipate that with the trailer, but new LED lights for the home are coming on line now and I use dimmers at home a fair bit.

Finally, the LED gives off almost no heat, which is good for summer camping, and is virtually shock proof and non-toxic when broken, unlike fluorescent light bulbs. So, it looks like this will be the way to go when I get started on renovations in the spring. I can’t wait for spring to get here!

Rick G
Attached Thumbnails
warm white led light.jpg  
Old 01-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I have ordered 3 of the lamps... unfortunately I'm in the "delayed delivery" group.

Rick, it's good to know that the heat buildup isn't an issue. If these run the same or cooler than the incandescents they replace, we don't have to worry about melting our plastic fixtures.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:25 AM   #20

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17SD
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
...If these run the same or cooler than the incandescents they replace, we don't have to worry about melting our plastic fixtures.
Mike, some folks on the Casita forums that rarely camp without shore power are switching to LEDs simply to eliminate heat from incandescents causing distortion of their lamp covers.

DirtDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDawg View Post
Mike, some folks on the Casita forums that rarely camp without shore power are switching to LEDs simply to eliminate heat from incandescents causing distortion of their lamp covers.
That says it all right there! The LEDs are a big improvement in more ways than one.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:16 AM   #22

Name: Thane
Trailer: Escape
Great info Rick G. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #23

Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Registry
Hi Rick, can you set us up with the names of the eBay sellers for lamps and bases when you post your results?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 01-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #24

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun View Post
I am wondering about the inside use of these bulbs, particularly where they are being used in a surface mount fixture. I would use the T-10 mini wedge bulb for example, in this case if I used this bulb only three of the LED's would be pointing down to illuminate the area directly under the bulb. Approximately 1/2 of the illumination will be going back into fixture. Now a reflector may help some but it seems like much of your light is going to be lost.
It seems to me that in another thread someone (I believe it was Frederick) suggested the use of reflector tape inside the incandescent light fixtures.

I'm not sure where to get such reflective tape, but it did make sense to me.

There are other LED bulbs that actually turn allow you to direct the light beam. But they are more expensive, and I believe they throw a [cold] blue cast.

My concern with LEDs is reports from other Fiberglass owners that they cause high pitch whining from the converter, and sometimes disrupt/distort reception from other electrical equipment such as radios and TVs.

I'm also not sure about quality control in the production of LED bulbs. In my mind I'm making an multi-year investment in this technology. In addition to providing lower energy consumption and heat management, these bulbs are touted to last many years longer than incandescent light bulbs. I would be fairly "irked" to see individual diodes burn out on even one of these bulbs. Unfortunately, it is hard to find many Forum member who have been using any one LED product long enough to provide info on longevity and quality issues.

But Jeff negotiated a great price and these LEDs. From reading other posters, they appear give out a warm light that rivals the incandescent bulbs. Worth a try ...
Old 01-31-2011, 05:36 PM   #25

British Columbia
Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
Hi Rick, can you set us up with the names of the eBay sellers for lamps and bases when you post your results?

Thanks,

Matt
Certainly.

Over the weekend I ordered more of the LED lights, this time a 26 LED bulb rated at 2 watts, a bit higher than the 1.2 watt rated power (1.02 watt measured at 12 V) from my original purchase. They were also $3 each including shipping. That website is here:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270692137988&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

As for the BA15 bases, I ordered them here:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110472594749&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

As an aside, I have been working with LEDs since the 80s, off and on, including for communications and scientific research applications. Although manufacturing is now much more advanced (and less consistent) than then, I expect these LEDs to last a very long time. There is a bit of heat because of the high power and surface mount design, but the surface mount design also distributes the heat much better than individual diodes so there should be long life. I was not thinking of the heat distorting the fixtures so much as simply not wanting a lot of heat in the trailer on an already hot summer day.

Cheers.
Rick G
Old 02-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #26

Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Registry
Rick, what do you think of these:

Light Panel 36 SMD LED+T10+BA15S+Festoon Bulb Adapter - eBay (item 370481189578 end time Mar-05-11 01:31:19 PST)

For $1 plus $1.59 shipping! I just paid about $5 each plus shipping for about the same thing at DealExtreme a week ago (they'll take a few weeks to receive)
DealExtreme: $5.18 1.8W 36-LED Car Ceiling Dome White Light (DC 12V)

But the DX ones have lenses. No idea whether either one is cold or warm.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I replaced every interior lamp and the porch lite in my 16' Scamp with eBAY item # 180620351640 early last summer. The're great and at the time they were the least expensive on Ebay. I honestly can't remember what they cost, but it wasn't very much.
The light has a slight blue cast and is more than adequate for reading.
John
Old 02-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #28

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
Rick, what do you think of these:

Light Panel 36 SMD LED+T10+BA15S+Festoon Bulb Adapter - eBay (item 370481189578 end time Mar-05-11 01:31:19 PST)

For $1 plus $1.59 shipping! I just paid about $5 each plus shipping for about the same thing at DealExtreme a week ago (they'll take a few weeks to receive)
DealExtreme: $5.18 1.8W 36-LED Car Ceiling Dome White Light (DC 12V)

But the DX ones have lenses. No idea whether either one is cold or warm.
It certainly looks OK, but will be a directional light rather than an all-around light bulb like an incandescent bulb. Also, I see the colour is listed as "white", not "warm white". That is probably a bluish-white LED, the common kind. Because the cold-blue-white LEDs are much easier to make and were first on the market, they are cheaper. For me that would be undesirable for room lighting, but many other people are fine with that colour. The various adapters for sockets is a plus, maybe worth the cost of the purchase by itself.

I should also amend my earlier post a bit about heat. These LED assemblies are so high power that they do give off a noticeable amount of heat. When I held my hand on one after it had run for a few minutes, I could close my hand around it for about 5 seconds before it became too hot to the touch, as opposed to a fraction of a second for an incandescent bulb. So they do give off some heat, but not nearly as much as the traditional lights.

Thanks,
Rick G