Group Buy of LEDs to replace incandescent bulbs - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17SD
California
Group Buy of LEDs to replace incandescent bulbs

Hi folks,

I posted the message below on both Casita forums this morning which might also be of interest here. Although the group buy link at bottom pertains to replacement bulb types used on Casita trailers, 1141 or 1156 bulbs are common to other travel trailers and RVs. Even if you don't own a Casita, you can participate in this Group Buy, subject to noted expiration date shown at bottom.

Jeff
===================

I was intrigued by Casita forum discussions on using LED replacements for standard type 1141 incandescent bulbs in our Casitas to achieve significant 12V power draw savings. A few different styles are available in the marketplace, with the tower type featuring same bayonet bases most common for quick no-hassle "plug 'n play" installation. The "warm" color equivalent to incandescent also seems preferred by many Casita owners (including myself). This category of LED is costly, so I decided to pursue a volume discount from a USA source known by forum members rather than from Asia or similar alternative.

The link below culminates communication with proprietor of LED Trailer Lights over a few weeks. My objectives were to obtain special pricing which creates sufficient incentive for owners to reach for their wallets during a limited time "window of opportunity" and also to avoid acting as a single point agent as is often done on internet discussion groups. I think both objectives are covered. I also note that the small T10 wedge type used in Casita galley range hoods is included with special pricing. Check out the link, but in brief, no minimum purchase and reduced price flat rate shipping per transaction. Just in time for Springtime boondocking, especially for those heading to Quartzsite! Don't delay though, 'cus this Group Buy pricing expires February 5th, 2011!

Group Buy link to LEDTrailerLights.com:

DirtDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Has anybody installed these bulbs yet and can say how close to the same brightness they are to the incandescent ?

Old 01-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Jeff-

Good timing as I was just getting ready to order something.

Did you actually use this particular bulb?

Will each bulb will fit receptacle for both 1141 & 1156 bulbs?

Thanks for your reply.

JMP
Old 01-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Has anybody installed these bulbs yet and can say how close to the same brightness they are to the incandescent ?
Bill, several owners on the two Casita forums already have 1141 equivalent "warm color" LEDs in use and report them as similar in light emission and appearance as incandescent. Of particular note are recent threads on those forums which show quite impressive current draw comparisons between LED and incandescent. Surf over there and have a look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Jeff-

Good timing as I was just getting ready to order something.

Did you actually use this particular bulb?

Will each bulb will fit receptacle for both 1141 & 1156 bulbs?

Thanks for your reply.

JMP
Jane, I just now ordered a full complement (10 - 1141 LEDs) for my own Casita trailer at group buy pricing. As noted on their website; "LED replacement for 1156, 1141, or any white (clear) bulb using a single contact BA15s style base".

Old 01-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDawg View Post
Bill, several owners on the two Casita forums already have 1141 equivalent "warm color" LEDs in use and report them as similar in light emission and appearance as incandescent. Of particular note are recent threads on those forums which show quite impressive current draw comparisons between LED and incandescent. Surf over there and have a look...

Jane, I just now ordered a full complement (10 - 1141 LEDs) for my own Casita trailer at group buy pricing. As noted on their website; "LED replacement for 1156, 1141, or any white (clear) bulb using a single contact BA15s style base".
Thanks Jeff,

Actually looked up the owner's manual to confirm my trailer uses 1141 LEDS.

Will definitely take advantage of this deal. Good work.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful efforts.

JMP
Old 01-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Jeff,
Thanks for the reply, I have been putting buying off because I wanted to see for myself but have been unable to find any even going out west and back last fall.

I will be ordering 7 of them.

Thanks for going through the bother to set this up.

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDawg View Post

Old 01-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Did you happen to find out what is the amp draw of these 1156 LED lamps? Just wondering how much of a power savings they give. I think regular 1156 bulbs draw 2.1 amps.

It's hard to find these in warm white. Thanks for locating them for us and negotiating a deal besides!
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #8

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Did you happen to find out what is the amp draw of these 1156 LED lamps? Just wondering how much of a power savings they give. I think regular 1156 bulbs draw 2.1 amps.

It's hard to find these in warm white. Thanks for locating them for us and negotiating a deal besides!
Mike, the 1156 bulbs are rated at 3.6 watts which would translate to about 1/3 of an amp at 12 volts. The wedge bulb is rated at 5 watts which would mean a draw of about .4 amp. In my Casita, I've measured the standard 1156 incandescents at about 1.2 amps. I've replaced all my bulbs with the Revolution bulb which is fairly similar and they draw only about .12 amps. Your mileage may vary but you're going to save a lot of battery power with the LED's.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post

You are quite welcome - the response to this Group Buy has been huge! I normally wouldn't link to data that I didn't collect, but Casita owner SteveH tested an 1141 replacement LED from this same source with impressive results: LED Lights - The Casita Club Forums

Old 01-26-2011, 10:50 PM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape 19 ft (sold) Escape 21 May 2014
Wisconsin
Registry
Just a question on these light bulbs? Are they for outside use only? Are any of you planning to use them on interior sockets for reading, eating etc?

The name of the seller in RVtrailerlights, that seems to indicate these lights are designed for running, brake, turn signal uses. Don't some filament bulbs on the rear of a trailer have multiple filaments? One for brakes and another for turn signals. I thought automobile tail lights were like that, is it the same on trailers?
Old 01-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun View Post
Just a question on these light bulbs? Are they for outside use only? Are any of you planning to use them on interior sockets for reading, eating etc?
Per design and per seller's website, suitable for indoor or outdoor too (under appropriate lamp fixture cover). These are standard bulb replacements. I'll have 8 indoors and 2 outdoors for my trailer configuration installed in a few days.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #12

California
Just a comment to those who might be curious. Most of my forum posts here seem related to this post, thus I don't have much "cred".

So as clarification without response needed or intended, I mostly hang out on the two Casita forums, with http://www.casitaforum.com/ being my preference for technical topics such as this. I attended the Oregon Rally at Bullards last summer and perhaps met a few of you. In any case, my objective in this Group Buy was to get a good deal for myself through volume discounts and extend same to Casita owners. I included this forum in that, 'cus we're all connected in a plastic kind of way! Also to mention that I paid same price as everyone else without other compensation. Feel free to ping me directly with pertinent questions, otherwise I'll be on the sideline...

Old 01-27-2011, 12:13 AM   #13

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun View Post
The name of the seller in RVtrailerlights, that seems to indicate these lights are designed for running, brake, turn signal uses. Don't some filament bulbs on the rear of a trailer have multiple filaments? One for brakes and another for turn signals. I thought automobile tail lights were like that, is it the same on trailers?
Yes, while 1156 bulbs are single filament, single contact base, 1157 bulbs are dual filament, dual contact base.

I have both styles inside and outside on my Fiber Stream:
  • 1156 outside = Back-up lights, porch light
  • 1156 inside = one way lamp (On-Off)
  • 1157 outside = Brake/Turn/Tail lights
  • 1157 inside = two way lamp (Hi-Low-Off)

I have 2 two way lamps (1157's) inside my trailer:
  1. Bathroom, Bright=Normal, Dim=Nightlight
  2. Kitchen, Bright=Normal, Dim=Nightlight
ALL of my inside light bulbs (plus the porch light) are LEDs
Old 01-27-2011, 01:26 AM   #14

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Oh Boy!

I've been looking for these. I ordered 10. Thanks