Gulf Oil Spill - EPA updates - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2010, 03:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Not a trailer topic, but can't help but wonder if there are those on the forum impacted by what is fast becoming the worse oil spill in US history. Of course we are all impacted in that we are at risk of losing to this devastating accident a lovely, unique, and fragile environment in the gulf. A friend of mine in Louisiana has been reporting on how it is affecting people, those dependent on fishing, etc. and in some areas the smell of the oil is quite strong.

Anyone interested in updates on the impact, the EPA has set up a web site with information:
EPA Response to BP Spill in Gulf

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
interesting thread. not sure how impacted i am other than really saddened at what has happened.

however, i do work for the Office of National Marine Sanctuaries under NOAA - and yeah ... this one is huge. i might be heading out to film the impacts. if i do i'll chime in.
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I hate to say it, but unless they get the flow stopped soon, we will all be adversely affected in one way or another by this disaster.

The first thing that comes to mind is the gulf shrimp dinner we personally have come to learn to love during an event each and every July may not be a possibility for years to come. It is hard to avoid political comments on this but I'm fairly confident in forecasting that the economic fall out will touch us all.

The potential environmental impact is just unfathomable.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
The weatherman on the radio yesterday was speculating on an impact to the weather. He said that the slick might hold down the moisture that makes up most of our rain. He speculated that it might affect how it is drawn up from the Gulf to seed the clouds.

CindyL
Old 05-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (Glass-Fab
Registry
Quote:
The weatherman on the radio yesterday was speculating on an impact to the weather. He said that the slick might hold down the moisture that makes up most of our rain. He speculated that it might affect how it is drawn up from the Gulf to seed the clouds.

CindyL
Speculation. And from a member of the media with no expertise (despite being a "weatherman"). The real threat, masked by needless hype.

IMHO, my $0.02.
Mike Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
there was a good article in the New York Times yesterday entitled: Gulf Oil Spill, Bad But How Bad?

It gives good info, talks about what the plans are (at this point in time) for dealing with the gusher, and a historical perspective, comparing it to other spills (this really isn't a spill, but a 'gusher').

Communicating with a friend living in Louisiana, it is quite traumatic and tense for everyone there, especially the fishermen who have know idea of their future.

It's a popular part of the country to travel to, I hope efforts are successful and it remains so, for travelers, but most of all for those who call it home.

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote