Gun Discussion - Split from "Bear Damage" - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #41

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Uh, guys? Check out the goofy smiley face added to that sentence. I'M KIDDING.

What I have noticed is that everybody just has really different reactions to the notion of risk. I live next door to and frequently walk through the, eh, "ghetto hood" as you call it (we "conservation types" call it an "underserved neighborhood") and I don't go around expecting attack at all times. Not every person (or bear) on the planet is trying to kill me today. I think I mentioned this before, but on my big hike across PA I had total strangers chasing me down the road to hand me a muffin and a glass of iced tea and apples for my horse and to warn me to BE CAREFUL!!1! of the terrible people out there. The irony was a little bit nutty.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #42

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Jen b,

Please don't take my comments as a personal affrontery. I do not want to provoke a "bad blood" situation here. I am not picking on you, or anyone else. If you haven't been able to read between the lines in my comments, I too, am very much a conservationalist. And, furthermore, I no longer hunt, nor have I for over 20 years. That doesn't mean, however, I am not prepared to defend myself, against any two-legged or four-legged predators whom would seek to do me harm.
Greg
Greg just so you know I havent taken your comments as a personal affront. I actually dont think we are all that far off on the topic as I do fully understand why shooting a bear that is acting in an unexpected and aggresive fashion is more often the not the only option. I just dont happen to think that its the norm for a black bear to act that way so not in favour of shooting every bear that happens to come through the yard.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #43

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Uh, guys? Check out the goofy smiley face added to that sentence. I'M KIDDING. Hard one to figure out as to where you're coming from with this emoticon...

What I have noticed is that everybody just has really different reactions to the notion of risk. True.

I live next door to and frequently walk through the, eh, "ghetto hood" as you call it (we "conservation types" call it an "underserved neighborhood".) What constitutes "underserved?", aren't they getting enough of my tax dollars in "free money" now for sitting on their butts doing nothing?
and I don't go around expecting attack at all times. I don't go around expecting an attack either, but I'm prepared for the potential of such an encounter, and I'm ready to respond to it with the degree of force warranted to preserve my safety. It may not occur...great, but if it does, I'm ready.
Not every person (or bear) on the planet is trying to kill me today. True, but it only takes one of either to ruin your whole day.
I think I mentioned this before, but on my big hike across PA I had total strangers chasing me down the road to hand me a muffin and a glass of iced tea and apples for my horse and to warn me to BE CAREFUL! of the terrible people out there. I never said there weren't good people (or animals) in the world. I'm glad you had favorable experiences on your trip. I hope all your future trips all pan out as well. The irony was a little bit nutty.
Nobody sets out for a fun day hiking through the woods thinking that today could be my last day on earth...
Old 08-24-2011, 03:29 PM   #44

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Carol H Wrote: "Greg just so you know I havent taken your comments as a personal affront. I actually dont think we are all that far off on the topic as I do fully understand why shooting a bear that is acting in an unexpected and aggresive fashion is more often the not the only option. I just dont happen to think that its the norm for a black bear to act that way so not in favour of shooting every bear that happens to come through the yard."
Hi Carol,
I don't advocate shooting an animal as a "first resort" measure if there are other means available of making them go away peacefully. I was only referring to when they exhibit agressive and threatening behavior, and unfortunately leave you with no "back door" out of a bad situation. When you are "painted into a corner," and you are being viewed as either a threat or food (really doesn't matter which to them,) then your options are somewhat limited. The old saying "Either you're fast, or you're food" comes readily to mind. I wouldn't choose to kill it indiscriminately, but I cerainly wouldn't consider being it's victim, (or meal,) as much of an option either.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #45

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
I liked those cartoons.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #46

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I liked those cartoons.
I know eh..Gary Larson (the first one) has incredible insight in his humor and to me it never gets old.

- Maybe this thread has reached it's stale date tho......... shall we kill it?
Old 08-24-2011, 07:18 PM   #47

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bc View Post
I know eh..Gary Larson (the first one) has incredible insight in his humor and to me it never gets old.
Right, but these same cartoons were removed from the forum a couple of years ago because of copywrite issues.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:22 PM   #48

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bc View Post
Maybe this thread has reached it's stale date tho......... shall we kill it?
I agree