I carry Bear spray and a 44 magnum.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
Hi Kirkman, you'll have to drop one or the other at the encounter. Which would it be?

You'll need both hands for the 44 and if you miss a kill shot (which is very likely) on the first round the bear will still be charging......
Old 08-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #4

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman
Actually up here in Canada , BC & Alberta in particular are trying to have laws regarding handguns changed to allow fishermen, hikers and campers to carry handguns while in bear country.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #5

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Come on Mike_BC, most guns will have a holster for them. I would assume bear stray would not have to held all the time in ones hand. A 44 magnum can be used to scare a bear as well as trying to kill one; a very good noise maker. My son carries one while fishing or is out in the woods/wilds of Alaska. But he said the best bear gun is a short shot gun. One group of folks walking along the Russian River when we were up there in July had one with them.

AndyGee, interesting information, I didn't realize Canadians were not allowed handguns in bear country. I assumed only Americans were not allowed them when in Canada. Are fishermen, hikers/campers allowed to carry shot guns while in the bush?

Donna, the photo is an eye opener. Thanks for sharing.

Moral of the story, don't leave an egg in bear country unattended. Wow!

No one is making bear proof TTs it seems. They might be too heavy for small TVs if they did. Ha! I can just see an all steel Teardrop with steel shutters or steel bars over the windows.

As for being in the egg when a bear is dismantling it, I am sure it takes some time for one to get the wrecking to take effect. With time one could use make noise, use bear spray or wasp spray, or boil some oil to throw into its mouth. Or to leave via the front door or via the roof exit, but I am not sure if I would want to leave with one outside. We keep a boat horn to be used to make noise.

PS: Boiling oil was not a serious suggestion. Boiling oil should only be dropped from the roof.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #6

Name: Barry
Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
I killed a bear with a key chain Swiss Army knife once.... and if he didn't have the knife... I wouldn't have had to shoot him.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #7

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Angry This goes against all of my small arms training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
A 44 magnum can be used to scare a bear as well as trying to kill one; a very good noise maker.
A gun is not meant to be a noisemaker. Carry an air-horn for that. Where do you expect to point the thing for noise-making? I was trained that the only direction you point a weapon is at a target you expect your round to penetrate. Other than for cleaning, target practice or competitive shooting, the only time a piece comes out of it's holster is when you intend to kill.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #8

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
A gun is not meant to be a noisemaker. Carry an air-horn for that. Where do you expect to point the thing for noise-making? I was trained that the only direction you point a weapon is at a target you expect your round to penetrate. Other than for cleaning, target practice or competitive shooting, the only time a piece comes out of it's holster is when you intend to kill.
But a Swiss Army knife.... now there can be any number of reasons to take it out of it's holster!
Old 08-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #9

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
A gun to scare a bear??? Why? do that here and you get to go directly to jail.

In most situations a good yell or air horn or banging pots and pans - often just a clap of the hands works just fine (yup even when its enjoying a meal of your garbage). Even our conservation officers will try all of the above to scare off a *problem* bear (one sitting in your back yard is not a problem and the conservation officers will not even come for that) before they bring out the guns and usually its a tranquilizer - the real gun will only come out if the bear is being aggressive & the tranquilizer doesnt do it - which doesnt happen all that often when one looks at the total number of times per day we have human and bear interaction in the area.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:56 PM   #10

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Campers etc are not allowed to have firearms in any national or provincial park in Canada, even most of our wardens/rangers do not carry firearms.
as a rule, we are not allowed to carry a longun unless there is an open season on something and you have the licence for that species, and the gun has to be appropriate to that species as well.. rabbit season, a 22 or shotgun with bb's, not a 3006 or 4570 for example. Licenced trappers, hunting guides while guiding, prospectors and peace officers are the only ones who can get a carry permit for handguns in Canada.
Joe
Old 08-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #11

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bc View Post
Hi Kirkman, you'll have to drop one or the other at the encounter. Which would it be?

You'll need both hands for the 44 and if you miss a kill shot (which is very likely) on the first round the bear will still be charging......
Mike_bc...I have shot and killed one that was charging 10 years ago while fishing in Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGee View Post
Actually up here in Canada , BC & Alberta in particular are trying to have laws regarding handguns changed to allow fishermen, hikers and campers to carry handguns while in bear country.
Andygee....Is about time! It has been that way in Alaska for ever.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #12

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
Mike_bc...I have shot and killed one that was charging 10 years ago while fishing in Alaska

Andygee....Is about time! It has been that way in Alaska for ever.
I would not put any money on it actually happening in BC any time soon. Grizzly areas perhaps & thats a big perhaps .... black bear areas not a chance.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:08 PM   #13

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Out in the wild areas which often have bears, one can point them to the side of the bear toward a creek/river bank, cut bank, at a tree and if the noise of the shot does not discourage an attack, it will be out for a kill shot.

I believe the adage of not drawing a weapon unless you intent to use it mainly applies to human "targets".

The reason I mentioned a gun as a noise maker, I have seen a few wildlife videos of fisherman out in the wilds of Alaska. The guides have firearms and before they shoot to kill they have often done a round to scare the bear away. It worked for them and I assumed they are professionals. The one which came to mind was the man fishing had a salmon on the line, a grizzly came after the fish which was very close to the fisherman. The guide took his pistol out, fired it into the river in front of and to the side of the bear. The bear withdrew.

This is not in an urban area, or with human habitation close by. But yes, caution should be used to where the shot is directed. Nothing is as scary as hearing a round singing over ones head.

One could use a blank round for scaring a bear, but if the situation does not warrant only a lot of noise, having a blank round would not be to wise. I'd prefer shooting into the river, ground or tree, etc. before shooting an animal.

As I had mentioned before, I carry an air-horn to make noise when out. But if I had a firearm, I would use it as a noise maker before shooting to kill if possible.

I do not expect you to do start using one to scare bears. I was not thinking about using a 44 Mag as a noise maker in a campground, or in many places in the Lower 48. However, I believe in some areas of the 47th state I might use a firearm to scare before to kill. Changed from the 48th state.

I have been know in the past to scare a deer or two as well as a coyote or two, but my intent was not to scare them at the time.

Looks like firearm noise works in Canada as well.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #14

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
Out in the wild areas which often have bears, one can point them to the side of the bear toward a creek/river bank, cut bank, at a tree and if the noise of the shot does not discourage an attack, it will be out for a kill shot.

I believe the adage of not drawing a weapon unless you intent to use it mainly applies to human "targets".

The reason I mentioned a gun as a noise maker, I have seen a few wildlife videos of fisherman out in the wilds of Alaska. The guides have firearms and before they shoot to kill they have often done a round to scare the bear away. It worked for them and I assumed they are professionals. The one which came to mind was the man fishing had a salmon on the line, a grizzly came after the fish which was very close to the fisherman. The guide took his pistol out, fired it into the river in front of and to the side of the bear. The bear withdrew.

This is not in an urban area, or with human habitation close by. But yes, caution should be used to where the shot is directed. Nothing is as scary as hearing a round singing over ones head.

One could use a blank round for scaring a bear, but if the situation does not warrant only a lot of noise, having a blank round would not be to wise. I'd prefer shooting into the river, ground or tree, etc. before shooting an animal.

As I had mentioned before, I carry an air-horn to make noise when out. But if I had a firearm, I would use it as a noise maker before shooting to kill if possible.

I do not expect you to do start using one to scare bears. I was not thinking about using a 44 Mag as a noise maker in a campground, or in many places in the Lower 48. However, I believe in some areas of the 48th state I might use a firearm to scare before to kill.

I have been know in the past to scare a deer or two as well as a coyote or two, but my intent was not to scare them at the time.
Did you mean Arizona? or the 49th state... Alaska