HAM? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #41

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
I just went hiking/tent camping with someone who brought a handheld HAM. No I'm thinking about getting into it.

Anyone have suggestions for a simple, basic antenna set up I can attach to the tongue area? Just a simple pipe welded on I could then drop a pole into.

Is there any sort of standards for antenna pole sizes? Ideally I'd like some sort of array with the ability to swap in/out various antenna, cellular, HDTV, HAM, etc.

Also tips for running antenna cables from inside to the exterior?
I use the standard TV antenna sections for sale all over the place.
Radio Shack,Lowes & Home Depot all sell sections 5' long for under $10.00 for an easy start.

I then take a standard cheapo pro speaker tripod and turn the extending center section over and then the pole sections slide right in there.
You can also get any swimming pool cleaning pole or painters pole that telescope and do the same into the tripod base to get 20 or so feet in the air.

From there almost any antenna can be rigged to attach and also be easily rotated for optimum signal tweaking.

I use this for TV and Ham use off the rear of the Egg everywhere I go and I have used the Tripod method with pole sections all over the country doing radio emergency service work too.
I also have a few sandbags to lay across the legs if needed for stability of I really get the metal in the air.
Attached Thumbnails
Antenna1.jpg   Antenna2.jpg  

Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #42

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
Illinois and Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytalker

I suggest you check out the website American Radio Relay League | ARRL - The national association for AMATEUR RADIO. This is a very informative site for potential ham radio operators. Locate an amateur radio club close to you study to pass the exam to get a license. Some ham radio clubs offer classes and exam sessions. Once you are licensed and affiliated with some other operators, you will find plenty of answers to your questions. Everyone has a different technique for antennas. I have a quarter wave magnet mount vertical that I use for 2 meter vhf frequencies. The mag mount antenna is on my tow vehicle and radio mounted inside it. Good luck in your quest to become an amateur radio operator.
Good suggestion. Also check out AA9PW.com for online exams and other helpful information on becoming a ham. W9EM and N9MA live in our Casita. We are both VE's (Volunteer Examiners) and active in RACES/ARES and Skywarn. I have a mag mount antenna and a j-pole for 2 m/440, and a dipole for the low bands. With the help of my musky rod, and a local tree or two and we're on the air.
John0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #43

Name: Billy
Trailer: Casita 13'
Florida
N3GBZ here. Two meter in the van and a Yaesu FT100D for HF use. Usually use hamstick dipoles on a military surplus fiberglass mast. Have hamsticks for 10, 20, 40 and 80. A pvc mount is attached to the spare tire carrier and the mast fits in that nicely.
n3gbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #44

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Newbie here

Just passed my technician exam in March and am going for my General tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Question:
I have an Escape trailer on order and would like to know what additional outlets or wiring would be useful for for ham radio operation inside the trailer. for example, would an extra electrical outlet be useful off the rear driver side? etc?

any other suggestions?

thanks!

Lisa
KK4PXC
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:09 AM   #45
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Hope Billy comes back, found someone I know here! Gonna miss you at Field Day this year (unless you'll be up). Had no idea you had an egg, just got ours. We'll be up on the fairgrounds again.

Congratulations, Lisa! You'll enjoy it, although HF is where it's at, a lot of idle 2m repeaters out there.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #46

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Cq, cq, cq dx, cq dx.....!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #47

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRockiesFan View Post
Just passed my technician exam in March and am going for my General tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Lisa
KK4PXC
Hope all went well with your exam.
KK4QHE
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:59 AM   #48

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Quite a few by the numbers
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #49

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRockiesFan View Post

Question:
I have an Escape trailer on order and would like to know what additional outlets or wiring would be useful for for ham radio operation inside the trailer. for example, would an extra electrical outlet be useful off the rear driver side? etc?

any other suggestions?

thanks!

Lisa
KK4PXC
Passed my General! WAHOO!
Old 05-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #50

Texas
CONGRATULATIONS AND WELL DESERVED. Perhaps I will catch you down the log.
Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 05-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #51

Virginia
Registry
Thanks Mike!!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Now it's off for the fun stuff - planning and purchasing the radios!
Old 05-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #52
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Congratulations Lisa! Enjoy your new privelges!
Old 05-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #53

Texas
Choose wisely. I bought a lot of stuff that I dont use and regret (a little). I am sure there will be lots of suggestions. I think most hams like me become branded. I am all Yaesu and love them. Others are Kenwood,Icom, Electra or Heathkit.

Please let us know what you are thinking. Would love to know what you decide.
Mike
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 05-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #54

Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
HiAll: Just passed the tech exam last week, At age 72. I thought that would be enough but found myslf studying for General the next day. No gear yet, trying to get a handle on where to go from here. I have a 1984 U Haul CT13 camper in fairly good shape. It should be fun trying to blend these two hobbies. Mike
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #55

Virginia
Registry
Congrats Mike!

I just passed my General level. Thinking about the Extra but just don't have the time ...
Old 05-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #56
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Congratulations Mike! Not hard to combine them, although I've not had much luck on 2 meters while travelling. HF in the camp is great with something like a Buddipole antenna. Also, ARRL Field Day is coming up, June 22-23. If you've never been, find a local club or group and go! Good chance to experience what full airwaves sound like! I'll be taking the Scamp this year, quite a few folks bring an RV. I think the ARRL site has a search for nearby Field Day operations.

Lisa, I know what you mean. My friends keep hounding me to just go take the test, know I can pass, but I have to drive 60 miles each way to take a test. Too many other hobbies.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:33 PM   #57

Texas
I agree with Kevin. Get online with the ARRL site or google Field Day Massachusits and find where one is set up. Then just go out for an hour or two and talk to some of the guys and take a good look around. Congrats and welcome aboard.
If you Rest, You Rust