Hand Made Expens? - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #1

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Hand Made Expens?

Help ! I have looked everywhere for this topic and have not been able to find it.Granted it has been a long time since I saw it on the forum....but i know the topice or at least pictures of expens that people have made for their dogs,was here at one time.The one that I remember the best was made with PVC pipe and some type of window screen type wire.( I think the family that made it had Yorkies)

Has anyone made their own Light weight ex pens? I have small Chihuahuas that are not jumpers and like to be outside with me. I need something easy to lift that folds and is compact to carry. I have a regular wire one now but it is heavy,hard to store in camper.

Anyone have any ideas or help full hints?

Thanks and Happy Camping.......Lynn

Old 01-23-2011, 08:03 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
There's this one, but it's commercial: How to Confuse and Annoy your Beagle

North States Pet Yard XT

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul CT
I camp with 4 of those Pet Yards... go all the way around the UHaul and gives a small "yard" for the girls (a sheltie & a cocker). They are a bit bulky, but not more so than a pvc one. They make a lot of noise when opening and closing them up.

I'll have mine at the get together in Camden, AL. If you are coming, you'll be able to see and play with them before you decide if you want to buy. If you do buy, buy from Walmart, online. They are around $50 from Walmart. I had mine shipped to the store for free shipping.

It sounds weird, but for Chihuahuas you might want to consider a portable playpen. The newer ones fold up and have a carry bag. It is the only thing I can think of that would meet your light & easy to store desires... you can probably find something at a thrift shop.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
And there's this thread: Lightweight & Cheap dog fence
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #5

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I hope you come up with something. I have taken to using cable tie-outs as the Xpens are so heavy to carry and one of my corgis always escapes anyway. But with three dogs they do tangle on occasion, and I wouldn't leave the dogs unattended for more than a few minutes on a tie-out (but that would be true for the pen, too, unless I found an escape-proof one.)

There is some company that makes a lightweight Xpen for small dogs but I don't know anything about it beyond having seen the link once or twice.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:04 AM   #6

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
About 2 years ago we camped next to a lively young couple who had a friendly, rambunctious 9 month old Golden Retriever named Chance. They used portable invisible fencing quite successfully with him. They said the training process was not hard and once he got the "message" was very respectful of the distance he could go before it gave him a reminder. He had also just finished his puppy obedience class and was a very nicely behaved furry neighbor.

I have a city friend living in an unfenced subdivision who used the invisible fencingfor her herd of Shihtzu's very successfully as well.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #7

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Thanks for all the help...I am going to keep looking to see if I can find the pictures I was thinking about. It might have been before the hack time.Anyway I now have some ideas I did not have before,so maybe I can still find something like I need.

Thanks Again...everyone here is always so helpfull.....

Happy Camping...Lynn
Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 AM   #8

Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
We use a combination of one metal exercise pen and storage cube grids (purchased at Target, etc) (held together with zip ties.) My pugs are good at staying in the pen, so we just use one cube height (12 x 12).
Attached Thumbnails
P1010004.jpg   P1010021.jpg  

Old 01-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #9

Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
Pat C also uses the grids for a great dog pen.

Too bad I don't know how to get her picture here---