Handmade gifts to give for the trailer owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
We're rapidly getting snowed in here in Portland, Oregon. Time to get out the hot glue gun, paint, etc. and make some of my holiday gifts. My daughter is still in high school and I'm going to make her some stuff for her locker. I came across a site that will be just the ticket and then thought maybe I'd share with y'all. With metal range hoods and window frames, may be you'd like to make one or two of these for your favorite trailer owner? Not Martha, pen holder

for those that take bicycles when camping, perhaps a Bicycle Frame Lunch Bag

Anyone else have any good ideas??
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #2

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Oh my grandmother made slippers, I can't begin to say how much I loved those slippers she always sent.....warm cozy feet.....that would be a good gift but I don't know how to knit...
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:17 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita 17 ft and Casita 13 ft
Wink

Brandy,

You should sign up for some of the fiberglass campouts and then put the word out ahead of time that you'd like to learn how to knit. I'm sure there are a number of ladies who attend that could get you started. I know how to do basic knitting but no fancy stuff... but I'm way down here in TX - too far away to meet with you! Its easy to make the slippers so don't feel that you can't do it. Once you get the basic knit stitches down, it will be cake after that and you will find that you can make a number of things with just the basics.

My grandmother taught me how to knit and crochet many, many years ago now and I've never forgotten how although I don't seem to have the time to do it much anymore.

Sorry this is a tad off-topic but do attend some of the meets Brandy and I'll bet you find a teacher!

Patty

Patty C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Patty great idea thanks for the suggestion...I will do that!....I will say I am sure I will be full of pride making my own but theres just something about knowing grandma sat there making me knitted booties.......its maybe like scratching your own back you can do it but its always nicer when someone else does it for you....( sadly my grandmother just passed last week so maybe thats why then meant something even a little more special)

Quote:
Brandy,

You should sign up for some of the fiberglass campouts and then put the word out ahead of time that you'd like to learn how to knit. I'm sure there are a number of ladies who attend that could get you started. I know how to do basic knitting but no fancy stuff... but I'm way down here in TX - too far away to meet with you! Its easy to make the slippers so don't feel that you can't do it. Once you get the basic knit stitches down, it will be cake after that and you will find that you can make a number of things with just the basics.

My grandmother taught me how to knit and crochet many, many years ago now and I've never forgotten how although I don't seem to have the time to do it much anymore.

Sorry this is a tad off-topic but do attend some of the meets Brandy and I'll bet you find a teacher!

Patty
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Homemade hot cocoa mix. There are tons of recipes on the net such as:
http://ingredientsinc.wordpress.com/2008/1...-chocolate-mix/
Old 12-20-2008, 03:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Or bean soup mix;
http://www.thatsmyhome.com/general/bean-soup-mix.htm

More "In a jar" gifts;
http://www.allfreecrafts.com/giftinajar/index.shtml
Old 12-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
I like doing the "In a Jar" mixes too.

Cookie Mixes can be pretty if you layer everything in nicely, and they are great if a person is strapped for cash for gifts. Some nice clear containers from the dollar store, cut some festive cloth circles to go on top of the lid, add a ribbon, a tag with directions, and voilà - instant gift. People who don't take the time to cook much seem to like them as it makes it pretty simple for them. There are a lot of Recipes HERE for jar gifts, everything from drinks, breads, cookies, muffins, sauces, etc.

I was going to make some funky reusable shopping bags for people, but I ran out of time. Here's the idea: Bag Tutorial

Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:38 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot

Great ideas! Thanks for sharing.
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Brandy,
My grandma also taught me how to knit.... and those slippers were the best... knit & perl & love. Comfy and warm on cold country floors. Thank you for the memories..
When grandma passed away, my aunt saved me two big knitting needles, a half-finished slipper, and the (very worn) original pattern. My best keepsake.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote